Part Time Layoff Possibility Question...Please Advise

TBamaFan

I was hired seasonal as a preloader this past season then laid off the second week in January. I got an email from HR that I was chosen to be hired on as a permanent part time employee. I went online and filled out another application and the lady from HR said that I would hear something within the next couple of days about my start date. I called her after not hearing from someone and she said that she was going to contact my hub to see when they needed the part timers. I still (after 3 weeks) have not heard anything. The only fear that I have is getting laid off periodically throughout the year. Is this a normal thing? I have another job offer on the table that has benefits but just not as good as UPS. If I am going to be laid off all the time because I am a low seniority part time guy I am going to go with the other job for sure. If I have a good chance at UPS then I will work my butt off to stay here. Thanks for the input.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I was hired seasonal as a preloader this past season then laid off the second week in January. I got an email from HR that I was chosen to be hired on as a permanent part time employee. I went online and filled out another application and the lady from HR said that I would hear something within the next couple of days about my start date. I called her after not hearing from someone and she said that she was going to contact my hub to see when they needed the part timers. I still (after 3 weeks) have not heard anything. The only fear that I have is getting laid off periodically throughout the year. Is this a normal thing? I have another job offer on the table that has benefits but just not as good as UPS. If I am going to be laid off all the time because I am a low seniority part time guy I am going to go with the other job for sure. If I have a good chance at UPS then I will work my butt off to stay here. Thanks for the input.

If you want the stability of working all the time at first take the other job. You won't get benifits until after a year as a part timer at UPS

Duckwithapipboy

Well your biggest mistake is hinging everything on a phone call from HR. I'm still waiting the 5 minutes the HR rep said it would take to grab money for the $1.50 Gatorade the machine stole from me, and that was seven months ago. If you still have the phone number for your FT or even PT supervisor from when you were working, call them up. They should be able to help at least push the log jam into getting you on staffing.

As for constant lay offs, you couldn't have picked a worse time to be concerned about that.

The other offer is for a full time 8-5 job. I wouldnt be able to work both. Unfortunately
Take the 8 to 5 job with benefits and apply for a different sort job at UPS with hours that will work. I am assuming your building has other sorts then just preload. Like the Turd said you do not receive PT benefits for a year at UPS.

saintrick

UPS begins contributing to Teamcare at 12 months.
It then takes 8 consecutive weeks of contributions for coverage to start.