Part time poverty

take your time

You must have missed the part where I said I waited almost a decade for fulltime. I started here in '04 went fulltime in '14. The part time pay sucked just as bad then as it does now. The only difference is I didn't cry about it. I knew what this place was. Long wait for a good job. It has always been that way.

Wow, you guys are seriously amazingly tough people. I tip my hat to you guys. Being on this job for about 2 months now and seeing how brutal it is to be a driver (aches all over my body, knee aches), I gotta lot of respect for people like you. I was lucky, I was hired off the street straight into a full time package driver position. I see the preloader kids who load my truck look at me with a bit of anger/jealousy that I got in without waiting 8+ years. It would get very frustrating to wait a long time to be a driver.

take your time

I'm still in my first year driving, im barley making it. When i first started i would maybe get 2 days a week and no i dont live with my parents, i have rent to pay lol. Lately i have been doing 4 days a week which i love because i can actually start paying bills while having enough to eat. But pretty soon i will have most if not all of my bills paid and i can start banking some money. It was a risky move to quit a full time job 40+ hours a week at 14 dollars an hour, but i didnt want to be stuck at a dead end job with no raises, benefits or retirement. I suffered through the first year and without my parents i wouldn't have made it. UPS is a hard gig at first but im guessing once you start moving up and making top pay and experiencing all the BS and getting used to it, its not a bad job and you will be rich! Also it probably helps i dont have a family to support or kids yet. Just myself and my 2 cats.

What was the hardest part about UPS at first for you?

Hannah-banana

There's that, but what I'm also getting at is that if you aren't going to make ends meet, why bother putting in the hours? You, and everyone with a good work ethic, are afraid of being considered lazy, a "bum", if you aren't doing everything you can. But not working under unlivable conditions is more of a protest than bumming out. That's what will effect change, refuse to participate. We have unions, and organized labor, and how's being part of one working for you? Are you getting your dues worth? Trust me, you wouldn't be the only person not working out of protest.

I'm not suggesting you really walk away, but I sure wouldn't judge you if you did. You can also simply scale back, work one part time job, and spend the rest of your time focusing on school. Apply for any assistance you can get. And if you really want a good job, go with aircraft mechanic. Do both airframe and powerplant. Manufacturers and airlines are snapping them up as soon as they finish school. And even if you didn't end up working on aircraft you will have learned almost every other trade in the process.
Thank you! I appreciate all of your info! I'm looking into it.. :happy2: