Part time retirement question

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
UPS hired college kids because they didn't want career part timers. They just wanted them around for a couple of years but not long enough to get vested in the pension. The part time pensions were like money in the bank for UPS.

Also UPS didn't pay anything into part time pensions until you were 25 until the big strike of 1976 when it was changed to 21.

It also was the perfect storm for the Central States Pension fund, unlike in the Western conferences were the part timers continue to contribute financially into the full timers pension plan the Central never had that luxury. When these trucking firms started to go under because on deregulation UPS knew they were going to be stuck with a ton of pension fund liabilities. They really started to negotiate out of the Central back in”93”, that was the time that Carey was running for office under the platform of raising the retirement benefits in the Central.

The Western Conferences were far more diversified in their contributors, other industries besides just trucking. Right now they are at 92 % vested, the Central in at 65 % and will be insolvent by 2025. Their benefit levels with the same amount of service years under the Western is roughly 2x as much as the IBT/UPS pension plan in the Central, their part time years are formulated into their full time benefits according to how many hours they worked. Bottom lune is that by the company controlling our part time service years in the Central and Southern we will never reach the same superior benefits as those in the Western Conferences.

Another thorn in the side is that the Central and Southern pension formulas are written in the Master. So even if we could reject our supplemental language over this pension diversity it will still pass under the Master nationwide.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
We don't want the hero pay Mafia to take over this thread
1612545216902.jpeg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I worked part time at UPS in NJ back in the 1970's. At the time there was no retirement plan for part timers so we did not have any incentive to stay there 5 years. I was at a hub working various sort jobs from Sept 1974 to Sept 1978 (4 years). Worked approx 20-25 hrs a week. Quit after finishing college. Still have my Honorable Withdrawal Card from the union. Anybody have any info on getting any type of retirement compensation for my time there? Or am I screwed?
Call the union hall if you were in the 177. I think you need 5 years service though. You collect at age 65 if eligible.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Part time pension is through the company and not the union. Even if he had the 5 years to be partially vested it wouldn't be much more than gas money.
Years back, when the union listed who got what for a pension.
I saw a former pt co-worker's name listed...He received around $75/month.