Part-time retirement

Mannix

I was a part-time UPS employee (preloader and sorter) for 5 and 1/2 years, from age 19 to almost 25, during the years of 1986-1992. What is my pension eligibility?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I was a part-time UPS employee (preloader and sorter) for 5 and 1/2 years, from age 19 to almost 25, during the years of 1986-1992. What is my pension eligibility?

Approximately 3 1/2 years... need 5 years to become vested in order to collect at age 65.

I believe you get nothing... or close to it...

Sorry...

PT Car Washer

A few years ago UPS was buying out most of the pensions from people like you. Wanted to clear the books. Most rolled theirs over into an IRA. Some paid the penalty and partied.

DELACROIX

A few years ago UPS was buying out most of the pensions from people like you. Wanted to clear the books. Most rolled theirs over into an IRA. Some paid the penalty and partied.

One Dinosaur talking to another..the days of the career part timer were over a long time ago. I do remember that during the “93” negotiations Carey was trying to negotiate the Central and Southern part timers pension into the Central. I still have a flyer from that time that stated that only less than 50 part timers were collecting from the Company controlled pension plan and being paid peanuts. That part time pension plan was created around 1973, at that time you did not collect any vesting credit if you were under 25 years old. Almost all the part timers from 1970’s to 2000 were college students and under 25 or even 21. You can remember how management chased us off the clock before our 3.5 hour guarantee, they were thinking 40 years ahead by promising a pension that paid practically nothing compared to the full timers even if you stayed past 25 years.

These part timers that left were expecting something for those service years only to find out they had to wait till 65 to collect if they were lucky enough to have 5 or 10 years vested.
Throw into that equation the 6 % penalty for every year prior to age 65 if you wanted to collect earlier.

I have a 1993 print out of the UPS Pension for the part timers and one for the UPS Retirement Plan for management. About the same amount of active participates, the only differences would of been the amount of annual monetary contributions going into those two plans...and the percentage of those retired and collecting a benefit.

oldngray

nowhere special
One Dinosaur talking to another..the days of the career part timer were over a long time ago. I do remember that during the “93” negotiations Carey was trying to negotiate the Central and Southern part timers pension into the Central. I still have a flyer from that time that stated that only less than 50 part timers were collecting from the Company controlled pension plan and being paid peanuts. That part time pension plan was created around 1973, at that time you did not collect any vesting credit if you were under 25 years old. Almost all the part timers from 1970’s to 2000 were college students and under 25 or even 21. You can remember how management chased us off the clock before our 3.5 hour guarantee, they were thinking 40 years ahead by promising a pension that paid practically nothing compared to the full timers even if you stayed past 25 years.

These part timers that left were expecting something for those service years only to find out they had to wait till 65 to collect if they were lucky enough to have 5 or 10 years vested.
Throw into that equation the 6 % penalty for every year prior to age 65 if you wanted to collect earlier.

I have a 1993 print out of the UPS Pension for the part timers and one for the UPS Retirement Plan for management. About the same amount of active participates, the only differences would of been the amount of annual monetary contributions going into those two plans...and the percentage of those retired and collecting a benefit.
UPS wanted college students that would work for a couple of years before moving on. They hated the idea of career part timers. The union also liked the high turnover of part timers that kept a constant flow of initiation dues so did little to change the situation.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Depends on your local. 396 at that time still had full time preload and sort. I got bumped back as a driver when UPS did away with them and gave them an option to dovetail into driving or do split shift

Shiftless

Brings back memories!

I was working in So Cal in 1975. It seemed like everyone was going to Jr. College or College. Many on the sort isle already had their Bachelor degree and were working on their masters, we even had a few Dr's handling boxes.

DELACROIX

Brings back memories!

I was working in So Cal in 1975. It seemed like everyone was going to Jr. College or College. Many on the sort isle already had their Bachelor degree and were working on their masters, we even had a few Dr's handling boxes.

We had a package car driver that had that look..I believe he was a Vietnam Vet..

Everybody thought he would go postal in a minute, management were scared to death to mess with him.

I got a chance to talk to him on the “97” picket line.. he turned out that he had a masters degree in philosophy, smart as a whip.

Retired long time ago...he knew the system and played them big time..👍