Part-Time sup???

aspenleaf

Today a woman from HR (I think) went up and down my boxline asking all preloaders if they wanted to be a part-time sup. Everyone said no. She said something along the lines that there was something wrong with my center if no one wanted to be a sup. I told her I didn't know about the others but I was in nursing school (last semester) and didn't have time to step up to a higher position. Right now loading is just the stress relief I need from school & clinical.

I asked a few other preloaders why they said no and here is what they said:

I don't want to be held accountable for the people under me (including all the misloads ~we have some loaders who if they have 5 misloads they had a great day, missed pieces etc.)

I don't want to get yelled at every day for stuff I can't control.

Some loaders want to become drivers and feel that staying a loader will give them a better chance.

Everyone agreed that they don't want to be treated like the current sups. Everyday we see the "abuse" they are put through.

If UPS really needs more part-sups they need to take better care of the ones they have. Most of ours are trying to move the hub (less stressful - according to the sups) and get out of preload. I can't say I blame them; if my loaders were having 5-10 misloads a day I'd be wanting out also.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The Part-Time Supe thats over the Preload in my area got the job after only being there six months. There are two women with over five years experience, including my great PreLoader, expressed interest in the job but were passed over. The previous supe was great, he got promoted into a PAS Supe job when we got it last year. The new guy spends a lot of time hiding, sometime I see him in the Parking Lot or on the Yard while the Preload is running. Who they promote makes no sense to me.

aspenleaf

The Part-Time Supe thats over the Preload in my area got the job after only being there six months. There are two women with over five years experience, including my great PreLoader, expressed interest in the job but were passed over. The previous supe was great, he got promoted into a PAS Supe job when we got it last year. The new guy spends a lot of time hiding, sometime I see him in the Parking Lot or on the Yard while the Preload is running. Who they promote makes no sense to me.

It must vary by area as in my building getting part-time sups is difficult. I (and many others) have been asked several times. I am only at UPS to get the money for school. I have no desire of advancing and made that known when I was hired. I actually like working preload and am very content.

We have one kid who wanted to be a sup and took the test but did not pass. He was very upset and his language is not that of a sup (or what it should be). I told him if he wanted to be a sup he should act the part and that meant wearing pants that don't hang around his knees (sorry I know it is comfortable to have your butt hanging out but it is not professional) and stop saying friend this and that every few words. He said he'd do that once he was sup. . .

W

westsideworma

It must vary by area as in my building getting part-time sups is difficult. I (and many others) have been asked several times. I am only at UPS to get the money for school. I have no desire of advancing and made that known when I was hired. I actually like working preload and am very content.

We have one kid who wanted to be a sup and took the test but did not pass. He was very upset and his language is not that of a sup (or what it should be). I told him if he wanted to be a sup he should act the part and that meant wearing pants that don't hang around his knees (sorry I know it is comfortable to have your butt hanging out but it is not professional) and stop saying friend this and that every few words. He said he'd do that once he was sup. . .

LOL our supes talk like that anyways.

The only people they can get to be supes at our hub seem to be outsiders or people who don't know any better. To be honest this is counterproductive I think. Sticking people who are new or have never been in operations in a position of authority (however little authority it may be) is a bad idea in my opinion.

The supervisors I report to (my line supe and the only FT supe I semi-trust) are respectful. They can be tough, but its usually only because corporate hatched a beautiful new plan that is more impossible than the old one. I talk to them and have conversations, joke with them and go to the focus meetings etc (I am not a new hire, HR for some reason just likes that I go...maybe because I survived who knows).

I normally do the best I can for them because thats what I'm paid to do. IF I am disrespected I simply don't go the extra mile. Why work my ass off even more so just to be insulted or talked down to. Normally I go help where it is needed and stay until they no longer need me. However as I said if they manage to irritate me (which is rare) I go home as soon as I'm done and don't feel bad about it in the least.

I was asked about supervision before and to be honest I'm considering it now. Before you go NO THATS THE DARKSIDE, I have given it a lot of thought, the extra money for school would be helpful as would the money in the bank. I know nothing I ever do will be good enough, but thats pretty much the way it is now as well so I'm conditioned I guess you could say. I also don't plan on staying at UPS forever so I want to make the money and take advantage of the things they offer while I am there. I have little faith in the teamsters negotiating a better wage for part-timers and the cutting of hours that is rumored to be coming at our hub really does impact me. If I planned on staying at UPS for a long duration I would definitely stay union, but given my plans...I don't know if thats the route to go.

aspenleaf

LOL our supes talk like that anyways.

The only people they can get to be supes at our hub seem to be outsiders or people who don't know any better. To be honest this is counterproductive I think. Sticking people who are new or have never been in operations in a position of authority (however little authority it may be) is a bad idea in my opinion.

The supervisors I report to (my line supe and the only FT supe I semi-trust) are respectful. They can be tough, but its usually only because corporate hatched a beautiful new plan that is more impossible than the old one. I talk to them and have conversations, joke with them and go to the focus meetings etc (I am not a new hire, HR for some reason just likes that I go...maybe because I survived who knows).

I normally do the best I can for them because thats what I'm paid to do. IF I am disrespected I simply don't go the extra mile. Why work my ass off even more so just to be insulted or talked down to. Normally I go help where it is needed and stay until they no longer need me. However as I said if they manage to irritate me (which is rare) I go home as soon as I'm done and don't feel bad about it in the least.

I was asked about supervision before and to be honest I'm considering it now. Before you go NO THATS THE DARKSIDE, I have given it a lot of thought, the extra money for school would be helpful as would the money in the bank. I know nothing I ever do will be good enough, but thats pretty much the way it is now as well so I'm conditioned I guess you could say. I also don't plan on staying at UPS forever so I want to make the money and take advantage of the things they offer while I am there. I have little faith in the teamsters negotiating a better wage for part-timers and the cutting of hours that is rumored to be coming at our hub really does impact me. If I planned on staying at UPS for a long duration I would definitely stay union, but given my plans...I don't know if thats the route to go.

Our sups also talk that way and so do most of the preloaders. However I still think that a more professional image is needed if you want to be a sup. Most of our sups are very young (such as they can't legally drink beer) and this is thier first job. A few of them have worked preload but most have not.

I don't think going into a sup position is a bad idea. For some people that may be the best option. I know for me it would be horrid.

Goodluck if you leave bottom green to sup! BTW on my line I'd be next you since I work bottom yellow.

W

westsideworma

Goodluck if you leave bottom green to sup! BTW on my line I'd be next you since I work bottom yellow.

haha yeah you would be at our hub too....well until they repainted them a few months ago, now I'm next to bottom tan (used to be yellow). One of the best friends (a veteran UPSer, 15+ years) I had there, who helped me survive in the beginning, used to do bottom yellow/tan...sadly they pushed him a bit too far one day and he was fired/quit. I was on vacation while it happened so when I got back what a surprise that was.

aspenleaf

haha yeah you would be at our hub too....well until they repainted them a few months ago, now I'm next to bottom tan (used to be yellow). One of the best friends (a veteran UPSer, 15+ years) I had there, who helped me survive in the beginning, used to do bottom yellow/tan...sadly they pushed him a bit too far one day and he was fired/quit. I was on vacation while it happened so when I got back what a surprise that was.

Hmmm seems to be the trend. . .I know of a similar situation on my boxline. Seems good workers get pushed too far some days. Don't you love working the bottom cages and having packages from above fall near you??? For me this means the package usually hits the light on the way down. So far I have not been hit by anything.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Slightly different topic here, don't really want to change this thread. I went to the mailbox today and got my yearly letter from UPS asking me if I wanted to go into Management. I do not want to become a Full Time On Car Supervisor, although I do like to train people. They must send these to everyone, they might be scrapping the bottom in my case!:ohmy:

aspenleaf

Slightly different topic here, don't really want to change this thread. I went to the mailbox today and got my yearly letter from UPS asking me if I wanted to go into Management. I do not want to become a Full Time On Car Supervisor, although I do like to train people. They must send these to everyone, they might be scrapping the bottom in my case!:ohmy:

I also got a letter a few weeks ago also for part-time sup. They ask us every few weeks in person also. I just have no desire to change from what I like doing to something I already know I dislike (previous jobs I have been a manager and really it is not for me at this time). My line has good On Car sups; at least my drivers like them so that tells me a lot. If you like to train folks you might be great as an On Car sup. It is unfortunate the bad examples many of us have seen have deterred us from entering management.

Channahon

The letter is a mass mailing by district to advise employees of the opportunites and procedures to enter management. If I remember right, it was in response to one of the ERI questions regarding job opportunities. It also gives an employee who submitted a letter last year to update their experience and education level. I thought some centers allowed drivers to train other drivers, has that changed or is it just new hires get to ride during their orientation?

LKLND3380

Three of our four PT Supes were hired off the street.
The one who was not hired off the street worked preload maybe a year and replaced a supe that was... Hired off the street and is now a driver...

One of our PT. Supes last day is tomorrow and I have heard only one hourly put in for the position. Nobody else is interested including one hourly that would be perfect for the job. Chances are the hourly will have to train the new Supe on how to do all the paperwork and such... I guess it is overtime for that guy but UPS will code it over to UPS School or Safety or whatever they do...

LKLND3380

Is it that much extra money? I mean I thought it was salary and you are expected to work unpaid over time (work six to eight hours a day but paid salary based on five hour days) plus you pay for your benefits...

I was just told a supe makes $1200 to 1800 per month gross... So you do the math....

Last edited:

Channahon

Is it that much extra money? I mean I thought it was salary and you are expected to work unpaid over time (work six to eight hours a day but paid salary based on five hour days) plus you pay for your benefits...

I was just told a supe makes $1200 to 1800 per month gross... So you do the math....
P/T sups are compensated for extra hours worked and sometimes will double shift for vacation coverages which they would then work 8 - 9 hours.
Not a bad job, if you are looking for some business experience, and have good interpersonal skills.