Part time workers

Cowboy Mac

New to forum, wondering why I see alot of negative comments regarding part time people. Don't know why this is.
Can someone please explain.

I'm part time, 2.5 years now, because it fits with my life right now. No, I don't live in my parent's basement, I'm not taken care of, I pay my own way and all that other stuff. I'm not at UPS to make a fortune, I live within my means, the health benefits are awesome and am very grateful for them cuz most part time jobs don't offer benefits.

The pay cut to $15 per hour was a shock however, cuz believe it or not, most of us were not informed, and whether or not it is in the contract, I and several other part timers where I work were never informed anything like this could ever happen. I thought I was doing good at UPS with the MRA's we received, but never knew it could be taken away at a moment's notice, and, if I would have known, I wouldn't have counted on it. Seems funny though how UPS has made record profits and feels it needs to take our MRA away now, when everything is chaos with Covid, inflation, housing, and all the crap going on in the world now. Sorry, but UPS is being very greedy, not looking out for everyone that made them their record breaking profits.

I think a huge problem at UPS, is that new people are not informed enough about the Union and the contract and all that they do. The only thing I knew in my first days, was I had to have 70 working days, then I could join, and I counted down the days, and joined. It wasn't until more than several months later that a Union Steward joined our dept and went to us and explained how everything worked. If he wouldn't have joined our dept., I wouldn't know anything more than what I did when I first joined. With that said, yes, I did go around asking people about it before he showed up, but nobody seemed to know anything....that was very weird.

There are also alot of comments about part timers not voting. I think it's because most of them aren't informed about the Union, and how important it is. It may just be here, cuz we are a RTW state, I don't know. I know I will be voting on the next contract, and plan to talk to part timers about voting.

Sorry so long for a first post...I'm sure I will get flack from it, LOL. It's ok, wanted to get my thoughts out with you all and say not all part timers are crappy and some of us do care.
Very well said. I will say that if you are waiting for things to change, it will never happen. Be the change that you want to see. Become knowledgeable on the contract and BE the person that your co workers come to with questions.

Superteeth2478

Last I checked I still hold the record for most belt stops and I haven’t sorted in over 6 years. 200 belt stops in one day. I was being screamed at, and I didn’t care. It is coming belt wide and stacked and missorts were not an option to me. That box is going to get where it’s going and I’ll be damned if it’s my fault if it doesn’t. When I was a loader I was 0/100,000 on misloads. When I was a pickoff, my PD was 0/10,000 every single day. Yell at me all you want, my numbers will keep me out of your office.
LOL, that's nothing. Not sure how long your shift lasted that day but I hold the record for most belt stops in a single hour at 83.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
LOL, that's nothing. Not sure how long your shift lasted that day but I hold the record for most belt stops in a single hour at 83.
They usually didn’t last past 5 hours unless it was peak. I got most of those stops in the last hour before and during downtime. Once the unloaders were told they were almost done, they would go into beast mode so they could go home.

Superteeth2478

They usually didn’t last past 5 hours unless it was peak. I got most of those stops in the last hour before and during downtime. Once the unloaders were told they were almost done, they would go into beast mode so they could go home.
Mine were in the first hour. I have a reputation for stopping the belt but I don't have it down for any kind of extended period of time. Just off then on immediately.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
He doesn’t work there anymore and I don’t work in that building anymore so I could care less if anyone knows the story. It’s not a state secret.
I had to cover a pickup for a nit wit driver that liked to grab ass. He grabbed the wrong ass. The shipper wouldn’t allow him on the property anymore. Almost fired him. The ass would beg me in the morning not say anything about it to inflame the shipper, which of course I did all the time! 😂 He was a dick head, the shipper was actually a good guy.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I had to cover a pickup for a nit wit driver that liked to grab ass. He grabbed the wrong ass. The shipper wouldn’t allow him on the property anymore. Almost fired him. The ass would beg me in the morning not say anything about it to inflame the shipper, which of course I did all the time! 😂 He was a dick head, the shipper was actually a good guy.
Years ago when I was a PTer, I went out as a helper after my shift.....summer peak, hot ass day. Everytime we got to a stop where a cute woman worked....it’s 10-20 min of him flirting and being disgusting. By the 3rd stop this happened, I literally went inside to be like hey can we get going? Cut to the end of the day, we have air pickups from a drop box that have to be back at the building by 8pm, and we’re still out in the boonies delivering. He starts rushing me to hurry up....and I’m like dude, if you totaled all the time you spent playing grab ass today....we’d have been done 45 min ago. I’m not running and hurting myself because you’re gonna be late. That’s on you. We just made it back to the building in time and I refused to go out as his helper the following week.

UnionStrong

Years ago when I was a PTer, I went out as a helper after my shift.....summer peak, hot ass day. Everytime we got to a stop where a cute woman worked....it’s 10-20 min of him flirting and being disgusting. By the 3rd stop this happened, I literally went inside to be like hey can we get going? Cut to the end of the day, we have air pickups from a drop box that have to be back at the building by 8pm, and we’re still out in the boonies delivering. He starts rushing me to hurry up....and I’m like dude, if you totaled all the time you spent playing grab ass today....we’d have been done 45 min ago. I’m not running and hurting myself because you’re gonna be late. That’s on you. We just made it back to the building in time and I refused to go out as his helper the following week.
Good for you.

Kekes_lane247

Dynamite comes in small packages 💪🤟
New to forum, wondering why I see alot of negative comments regarding part time people. Don't know why this is.
Can someone please explain.

I'm part time, 2.5 years now, because it fits with my life right now. No, I don't live in my parent's basement, I'm not taken care of, I pay my own way and all that other stuff. I'm not at UPS to make a fortune, I live within my means, the health benefits are awesome and am very grateful for them cuz most part time jobs don't offer benefits.

The pay cut to $15 per hour was a shock however, cuz believe it or not, most of us were not informed, and whether or not it is in the contract, I and several other part timers where I work were never informed anything like this could ever happen. I thought I was doing good at UPS with the MRA's we received, but never knew it could be taken away at a moment's notice, and, if I would have known, I wouldn't have counted on it. Seems funny though how UPS has made record profits and feels it needs to take our MRA away now, when everything is chaos with Covid, inflation, housing, and all the crap going on in the world now. Sorry, but UPS is being very greedy, not looking out for everyone that made them their record breaking profits.

I think a huge problem at UPS, is that new people are not informed enough about the Union and the contract and all that they do. The only thing I knew in my first days, was I had to have 70 working days, then I could join, and I counted down the days, and joined. It wasn't until more than several months later that a Union Steward joined our dept and went to us and explained how everything worked. If he wouldn't have joined our dept., I wouldn't know anything more than what I did when I first joined. With that said, yes, I did go around asking people about it before he showed up, but nobody seemed to know anything....that was very weird.

There are also alot of comments about part timers not voting. I think it's because most of them aren't informed about the Union, and how important it is. It may just be here, cuz we are a RTW state, I don't know. I know I will be voting on the next contract, and plan to talk to part timers about voting.

Sorry so long for a first post...I'm sure I will get flack from it, LOL. It's ok, wanted to get my thoughts out with you all and say not all part timers are crappy and some of us do care.
I too had this concern and brought it to our building manager at WCNCH I was fired after returning to work. It was out of anger and retaliation. It’s been close to 6 weeks…. I stood up to him and others respectfully and professionally. However that changed nothing. I am stressed as I was also wrongfully terminated after being verbally and psychically assaulted by a PT supervisor…. While still being owed OT. Stand your ground guys because when the day is done they still don’t give a damn about anyone but themselves and have no moral compass or compassion. I hope things get better for you all and I hope Bryan Crickard is removed from WCNCH he has ruined this establishment with his superiority and manipulative abuse of power. Good Luck everyone.

UnionStrong

I too had this concern and brought it to our building manager at WCNCH I was fired after returning to work. It was out of anger and retaliation. It’s been close to 6 weeks…. I stood up to him and others respectfully and professionally. However that changed nothing. I am stressed as I was also wrongfully terminated after being verbally and psychically assaulted by a PT supervisor…. While still being owed OT. Stand your ground guys because when the day is done they still don’t give a damn about anyone but themselves and have no moral compass or compassion. I hope things get better for you all and I hope Bryan Crickard is removed from WCNCH he has ruined this establishment with his superiority and manipulative abuse of power. Good Luck everyone.
Psychically assaulted?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
@UnionStrong @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U