Part timer cover driver language.

This part time cover driver crap is one step closer for a part time America. I'm so glad 177 and other locals put a stop to this crap. Some locals are paying the price.

BrownBrokeDown

We can't get a part time cover driver to save a life in my local. Nobody wants to do it.

At my hub, there is a waiting list. In the southern region tcd's get something like 80% of the current top out for full time pcd's when you drive. Also, if you get your 30 in 90 it affects your starting wage when you go full time positively. It's been a while since I read up on it, so a little fuzzy. While you are not guaranteed to drive any certain number of days, I know of 1 tcd that started in January that drives 3-5 days a week and averages 10 hour days. I can't wait. All I have to do is drive 3 days a week at 8 hrs a day and I will be close to what I am makeing between 2 jobs right now. Everything over that is gravy. Oh, also saving for the weeks I don't get to drive, lol.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
We can't get a part time cover driver to save a life in my local. Nobody wants to do it.

Are you kidding me? We have guys from 17+ years down to 12+ that are twiddling their thumbs and chomping at the bit to get on road as a TCD. I'd jump at the chance to be a TCD and whittle down my student loans for 6 months without the full commitment to driving.

Buck Fifty

At my hub, there is a waiting list. In the southern region tcd's get something like 80% of the current top out for full time pcd's when you drive. Also, if you get your 30 in 90 it affects your starting wage when you go full time positively. It's been a while since I read up on it, so a little fuzzy. While you are not guaranteed to drive any certain number of days, I know of 1 tcd that started in January that drives 3-5 days a week and averages 10 hour days. I can't wait. All I have to do is drive 3 days a week at 8 hrs a day and I will be close to what I am makeing between 2 jobs right now. Everything over that is gravy. Oh, also saving for the weeks I don't get to drive, lol.

You are correct about the 80 %. It works out to be 27 dollars and change an hour. 30 days will qualify you and whe you go ft you stay at that rate til progression catches up. Peak days do count towards qualifying. Unqualified starts at 18.10 under new contract wit a ,4 year progression.huge advantage for sure..

When the contract passes the flood gates will open. All the locals that got pension bumps will see Sr. Drivers getting out and the company will need to fill their spots. So that is going to be where the Pt work force comes into play. One of many master plans the company is cooking.

Ouch

There is very little language on tcd's here. The sucky thing about being a tcd is you get in the habit of driving, quit your second job then bam they dont need you to drive anymore for 2 to 3 weeks then its back to ramen noodles. You can always supplement your income thru the grievance process lol

BrownBrokeDown

There is very little language on tcd's here. The sucky thing about being a tcd is you get in the habit of driving, quit your second job then bam they dont need you to drive anymore for 2 to 3 weeks then its back to ramen noodles. You can always supplement your income thru the grievance process lol

Thats why you need to build a nest egg for when that happens. You can't up your lifestyle immediatly upon becoming a tcd. You need to plan knowing you will have occasions when you dont drive for 2 or 3 weeks.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just wondering what the norm is out there in different locals as far as ft pkg drivers working thru their vacations.

No longer allowed. There were issues with too many feeder drivers trying to work through their vacations :headache: so the policy is to no longer allow anyone (including part-timers) to do so. I personally don't think package car drivers should be working during their vacation because it takes up a week a junior driver might have wanted to bid for his own vacation and also bumps a junior RTD out of working.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Over here it's called utility driving and it has it's own wage of 24.60. You get that wage whether you go out with a sup or are on your own. Seems like it'd be better to have the 80% thing...It'd almost be a $2 raise per hour. As far as vacations go, I work my vacations. All of them. I only take a Monday's off or Thursday, Friday if I fly out of town. When I schedule my vacations, I tell my boss which vacations I'm working and he allows others to take vacations the same week. But my area only has 5 people in it since not too many people want to park package cars (don't know why...it's by far the best job in the building) so coverage is sketchy and me working vacations is a boon to them. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Over here it's called utility driving and it has it's own wage of 24.60. You get that wage whether you go out with a sup or are on your own. Seems like it'd be better to have the 80% thing...It'd almost be a $2 raise per hour. As far as vacations go, I work my vacations. All of them. I only take a Monday's off or Thursday, Friday if I fly out of town. When I schedule my vacations, I tell my boss which vacations I'm working and he allows others to take vacations the same week. But my area only has 5 people in it since not too many people want to park package cars (don't know why...it's by far the best job in the building) so coverage is sketchy and me working vacations is a boon to them. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
I dont want to work on my scheduled days! There's no way in hell im going to work on my off days!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Our pt cover drivers start a 16
An hr. With progressive raises. We had 3 guys quit because of the DOK crap. Management is pounding them with it. So we will have no cover help this Xmas. They even asked us drivers to find them 3 guys to drive. I just can't do that to another. I see a lot of OT in the next few months

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I dont want to work on my scheduled days! There's no way in hell im going to work on my off days!
And you don't have to. I choose to so I don't have blank Fridays associated with taking a full week off. I use all my sick days to compensate...which may wind up biting me on the ass if I get hurt, but so far so good. The older I get though, the more time I take on my vacations. I'm only 38 but my body feels like it's 58 sometimes.

I'm a pt tcd in the south, 80% of the ft top rate works out great if we end up going ft especially with the coming four yr. Progression. Got a couple of ft drivers working vacations, which is also not supposed to be allowed. Blue paper friday.

BrownBrokeDown

You are correct about the 80 %. It works out to be 27 dollars and change an hour. 30 days will qualify you and whe you go ft you stay at that rate til progression catches up. Peak days do count towards qualifying. Unqualified starts at 18.10 under new contract wit a ,4 year progression.huge advantage for sure..

Well it looks like I will be getting the oppurtunity very soon. Few questions. On the 30 day qualifying, that is 30 days driving inside a 90 day (including weekends period)? I have heard stories about people getting 28 or so then not working until they were not in "danger" of qualifying. How would this be fought? As a tcd, what are the things I need to watch out for UPS to try to pull, other than using less seniority people?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Well it looks like I will be getting the oppurtunity very soon. Few questions. On the 30 day qualifying, that is 30 days driving inside a 90 day (including weekends period)? I have heard stories about people getting 28 or so then not working until they were not in "danger" of qualifying. How would this be fought? As a tcd, what are the things I need to watch out for UPS to try to pull, other than using less seniority people?

You might be thinking of someone attaining seniority in package cars. This does not apply during the "free" period wherein UPS can use TCDs/RTDs (July 1st - Dec 31st + 2 first weeks of January under the new TA). Contractually, if UPS had to use an RTD in the month of February and they worked 30 days (thereby attaining seniority in package), the company would be forced to bid out a new job in package.

Qualifying is different. Essentially, you have to qualify (typically, scratch your route or close every day after the first week) in order to be put on the RTD seniority list. Once you qualify, you'll never have to qualify again in package cars either as an RTD or as a new FT driver.

BrownBrokeDown

You might be thinking of someone attaining seniority in package cars. This does not apply during the "free" period wherein UPS can use TCDs/RTDs (July 1st - Dec 31st + 2 first weeks of January under the new TA). Contractually, if UPS had to use an RTD in the month of February and they worked 30 days (thereby attaining seniority in package), the company would be forced to bid out a new job in package.

Qualifying is different. Essentially, you have to qualify (typically, scratch your route or close every day after the first week) in order to be put on the RTD seniority list. Once you qualify, you'll never have to qualify again in package cars either as an RTD or as a new FT driver.

In the southern supplement there is something about 30 days in order to carry the TCD rate (85% of max FT driver rate) over into the progression when you go ft driver. I knew about the 5 day qualifying. Speaking of the 5 days, is there a time limit in which they have to get you those 5 days, or is there the possibility of it dragging out for a while?

(E) Part-time coverage employees who complete a thirty (30) dayqualifying period for a coverage position will not have to completeanother probationary period if they are a successful bidder for a regularfull-time package car position. Additionally, he/she will not​
suffer a reduction in pay rate.

Just trying to find out all the specifics behind the 30 days.