Part Timer Overtime Pay Classification

bakagigee

I am a part time preloader and I am also a part time air driver, meaning I do Saturday deliveries, and deliver for a few hours a few days a week when they need me to run air packages.

So here's my question, if I work 4 hours as a preloader and then go out and work 5 hours as an air driver, how should I get paid?

I always thought, and payroll has been doing it like this...
4hrs Preload Rate
4hrs Air rate
1hr Overtime Air rate

However, my district manager told me the other day that since my air classification is different from my preloader classification, that I get paid overtime if I work over 5hrs on preload, but then I would have to work over 8 hours of air driving to get overtime for that. So according to him it would look like this...
4hrs Preload Rate
5hrs Air Rate
0hrs Overtime

Under this scenario I could work 13 hours a day and not get paid a dime of overtime. 5 hours on preload and then 8 hours driving air. That doesn't seem right. What say you?

PT Car Washer

I am a part time preloader and I am also a part time air driver, meaning I do Saturday deliveries, and deliver for a few hours a few days a week when they need me to run air packages.

So here's my question, if I work 4 hours as a preloader and then go out and work 5 hours as an air driver, how should I get paid?

4hrs Preload Rate
4hrs Air rate
1hr Overtime Air rate

However, my district manager told me the other day that since my air classification is different from my preloader classification, that I get paid overtime if I work over 5hrs on preload, but then I would have to work over 8 hours of air driving to get overtime for that. So according to him it would look like this...
4hrs Preload Rate
5hrs Air Rate
0hrs Overtime

Under this scenario I could work 13 hours a day and not get paid a dime of overtime. 5 hours on preload and then 8 hours driving air. That doesn't seem right. What say you?
Your district manager doesn't know what he is talking about. You got it right plus if go over 40 hours M-friend, Saturday will be OT.

km3

4hrs Preload Rate
5hrs Air Rate
0hrs Overtime

This is exactly how it works where I am.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I am a part time preloader and I am also a part time air driver

You are covered under Article 40 of the NMUPSA.

4hrs Preload Rate
4hrs Air rate
1hr Overtime Air rate

This is correct.

4hrs Preload Rate

Tell your District Manager to leave the pay rates to the big boys and go back to yelling at his Division and Center Managers.

It's not right. You listed how it is being paid now and how it should be paid. Your District Manager must have sucked his way to the top, because he knows nothing about the contract.

This is exactly how it works where I am.

How does it work there? He listed 2 different scenarios. Which one is it?

He is right because it's 2 different classifications. My helper had to work over 8 hours to get over time even though he worked preload.

He is not right, and helper pay is different.

It doesn't matter, it's 2 different classifications.

Different classifications does not matter.

Same here too.

Barring any local language, this is covered under Article 40 of the NMUPSA

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION

Section 1 - Air Drivers

(d) Air Driver Guarantee and Overtime

(2) Less than eight (8) hour air drivers (part-time air drivers) who
have a regular scheduled start time shall have a three (3) hour daily
guarantee. They shall receive overtime pay for hours worked in
excess of eight (8) hours in a twenty-four (24) hour period or in
excess of forty (40) hours per week.

(h) Exception Air Drivers

(1) The Employer and the Union recognize that there may be air
packages that cannot be delivered by the regular full-time package
car driver or the scheduled air drivers listed in this Section.
Therefore, the parties agree to continue the practice of allowing the
use of part-time employees who have signed the exception qualified
list or who have expressed in writing their desire to be on the list
and who have been certified to deliver these exception air packages.

(3) Exception air drivers shall have no guarantee and will be paid
only for the time worked making air deliveries. In the event a part time
employee works over eight (8) hours in any one (1) twenty four
(24) hour period, he or she shall be compensated at the rate of
time and one-half (1-1/2) for all hours worked over eight (8) hours
at the rate of pay specified in Section 6 below.

The 8 hours in any one 24 hour period includes all work, not just air driving.

Two different classifications, preloader and air (exception) driver. Overtime is after 8 hours of total work. Classification does not matter.

km3

The scenario I quoted. 5.00 hours on preload and 8.00 hours driving air, no overtime. 5.01 hours on preload and 8.00 driving air, 0.01 of overtime (at preload rate). 5.00 hours on preload and 8.01 driving air, 0.01 of overtime at air rate.

PT Car Washer

The scenario I quoted. 5.00 hours on preload and 8.00 hours driving air, no overtime. 5.01 hours on preload and 8.00 driving air, 0.01 of overtime (at preload rate). 5.00 hours on preload and 8.01 driving air, 0.01 of overtime at air rate.
That is not how Art. 40 reads or how it works at my building. 5 hours preload and 8 hours driving air would be 5 hours OT at air driving rate assuming he worked preload before driving. I normally drive air first and then work car wash so OT would be at my higher PT rate.

km3

That is not how Art. 40 reads or how it works at my building. 5 hours preload and 8 hours driving air would be 5 hours OT at air driving rate assuming he worked preload before driving. I normally drive air first and then work car wash so OT would be at my higher PT rate.

I'm not an air driver, so I don't know first hand. But this is what an air driver I worked with on the sort aisle told me. Whether or not he, or anyone else, has ever challenged it, I do not know.

I do feel that if air driving is contributing to overtime, Saturday air drivers should probably make overtime as well since that's their 6th punch. But where I am, only people who drive 5 days a week (including air exception) get overtime on the 6th.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm not an air driver, so I don't know first hand. But this is what an air driver I worked with on the sort aisle told me. Whether or not he, or anyone else, has ever challenged it, I do not know.

Maybe they should.

I do feel that if air driving is contributing to overtime, Saturday air drivers should probably make overtime as well since that's their 6th punch.

Saturday air drivers do not get time and a half for a 6th punch. This is specifically covered in Article 40.

(k) Saturday or Sunday Air Work

(1) To perform Saturday or Sunday air work the Employer and the
Union recognize the need for air drivers other than those regularly
scheduled. Qualified part-time employees who are interested in performing
this work will so notify the Employer, be certified and be
placed in seniority order on a posted qualified air driver list. Such
work will be first offered in seniority order to employees on the
qualified list who have not worked more than thirty-seven (37)
hours in the current week. This work shall then be offered in seniority
order to qualified part-time employees regardless of hours
worked. If the scheduling needs still cannot be met, and additional
employees are needed, the Employer may force qualified part-time
employees in reverse seniority order.

(2) These employees shall be paid at the air driver’s straight-time
rate of pay
in accordance with Section 6 below. Time and one-half
(1-1/2) will be paid after eight (8) hours per day or after forty (40)
hours per week.

They do get time and a half if they have already worked 40 hours in the week and get time and a half if they work over 8 hours Saturday.

They specify 37 hours first so that they do not have to pay time and a half. They only have to pay time and a half for over 40 hours worked.

But where I am, only people who drive 5 days a week (including air exception) get overtime on the 6th.

Not if used for Saturday air. See above.

UPS Preloader

4hrs Preload Rate
4hrs Air rate
1hr Overtime Air rate

4hrs Preload Rate
5hrs Air Rate
0hrs Overtime

Per the contract, you get overtime for any hours worked in excess of eight hours per day or any hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week. In addition state law will trump the contract and in most states if you work over eight hours in a day it's overtime and if you work over 40 hours in a week it's overtime.

bakagigee

My district manager keeps saying that I should only get overtime if I work over 40 hours in the week, not 8 hours in the day, however, payroll keeps paying me overtime if I work over 8 hours in a day, and based on what you guys said, it seems that the contract supports that. If they try to pay me less, I will grieve it and let you know how it turns out. :)

However, it does seem like the treat helpers differently. We had some issues with our preload guys this last seasonal period, where they worked preload in the morning and then were driver helpers for like 7 hours that day, but didn't get overtime unless they worked over 40 in the week.

Sporty

My question to someone is this.... if pulled from local sort to do "Jon doe" s work which is wash and he makes top rate pay for wash caz he has been there 20 years then should I not get his rate of pay since I'm pulled to do his job?
I run exception air in am and local sort pm. Been air driving only a month. But they got me at the start rate. Isn't there such a thing as seniority rate? With that said they also only pay me start rate for sort which is bull:censored2:. Been with ups going on 4 years.
Any help is appreciated. Have a great day all

Sporty

Payroll is screwed up. But with ups all about numbers guess they got it figured out how to get rich off of hard working folks. I mean few $'s here and there from 300,000 + workers would make them worth billions.
Also how is time computed. Like I figure my time as I was taught. If I work say 10 hours 20 mins then it's 10.20. They have like 9.65 . Is that not 10 hrs 5 mins? Or what is 9.65?

My question to someone is this.... if pulled from local sort to do "Jon doe" s work which is wash and he makes top rate pay for wash caz he has been there 20 years then should I not get his rate of pay since I'm pulled to do his job?
I run exception air in am and local sort pm. Been air driving only a month. But they got me at the start rate. Isn't there such a thing as seniority rate? With that said they also only pay me start rate for sort which is bull:censored2:. Been with ups going on 4 years.
Any help is appreciated. Have a great day all
No you won't get his rate. Lol

@Turdferguson help this guy out.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Payroll is screwed up. But with ups all about numbers guess they got it figured out how to get rich off of hard working folks. I mean few $'s here and there from 300,000 + workers would make them worth billions.
Also how is time computed. Like I figure my time as I was taught. If I work say 10 hours 20 mins then it's 10.20. They have like 9.65 . Is that not 10 hrs 5 mins? Or what is 9.65?

Hours are broken up into 100th not 60's, you've been with UPS 4 years and just now see this?