Part Timer refusing hours during peak

SmithBarney

Correct PTrs can only be required to work the shift they were hired for, since many PTrs have other jobs/responsibilities during the remaining parts of the day.
PT'rs should never be on the force "draft" rotation sheet.

franknitty

As a PT employee they cannot force you to work over your scheduled hours, and they can't schedule you for FT hours during peak unless you allow them to. In other words, they have to ask, but you don't have to do it, especially if you have another commitment like school or childcare etc. Of course, if you refuse, there might be payback, which means that extra hours opportunities won't be offered in the future. When I was PT, there was intense pressure to work 50 plus hours during peak, and then it was right back to just above minimums until volumes started to rise in the Spring. If you weren't totally flexible during peak, management would remember, and then one of their favorites would get extra hours. We have a couple part-timers who are in school and drive FO routes and then flex. Even when we have late freight at 1000 or so, they leave because of school and while management might not like it, there isn't anything they can really say.

If you don't need the money, tell them you have other commitments. There isn't anything they can do because the operational need/necessity rule doesn't apply to part-timers. Once you are FT, they own you. I will be right at 59.5 hrs for this week, and there is nothing I can do about it.

The management at my station told the PTers that they can demand them to work additional hours during peak. I heard it myself several times from more than one ops manager.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The management at my station told the PTers that they can demand them to work additional hours during peak. I heard it myself several times from more than one ops manager.

They can bluster all they want, but PT is PT. If the courier falls for it, it's on them.

Billy_Baconhead

Frank we're in the same district Mid-central. We had meetings a couple weeks ago and management blatantly said" PT'ers can and will be required to work dec. 24th". Anything goes at our station.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

"Technically" Christmas Eve is a "required" work-day for all of us in DGO, but since our "policies" are really "guidelines", nothing is standardized across the board.

A union sure would eliminate that problem, then management could really focus on the "important" stuff like coffee and who's banging who in the office.

Just sayin...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Frank we're in the same district Mid-central. We had meetings a couple weeks ago and management blatantly said" PT'ers can and will be required to work dec. 24th". Anything goes at our station.

I've seen several PT people refuse to work Dec 24th in the past few years. All you need is a reason and they cannot force a PT employee to work on a scheduled day off. If you are Tues-Sat, that's a different story. Anything goes at a lot of stations, which means they make it up as they go. Most managers I know aren't policy experts. If they think they can bamboozle you with intimidation combined with their personal interpretation of "policy", they will do it.