PAS - how do we fix it.

Bulkstop

Shanty Irish
Everything is just freakin' peachy Boss.

How do we fix it... that's rich. Try listening. Sorry for my foul mood, it's just not funny anymore. After 100 years, UPS can't load my truck and thinks it takes an hour and a half less to deliver than it really does when I'm using the methods they insist I use.

How do we fix it... like you care. I'm right there with you now.[/quote]

Cannon, Sadly many, many drivers now share your attitude. I'm one of them.

Griff

"Oh guys, along with your sales leads you need 1 good idea every week on how to fix PAS!"

I drive in one of the biggest centers in our district and I don't know one single driver who cares about fixing PAS. We've been on it for a long time now and most guys just dont care or think about it anymore. A driver in another center in my building supposedly broke the $100,000 mark in '06, I bet he loves PAS!

tieguy

Banned
Once again, you're mistaken. What you see is the remnants of a positive attitude. I fall for it every time. UPS holds that football for me and I think this time it's going to be different. How stupid of me.

But I always try to have a positive attitude... just not when it comes to PAS issues.

A positive mindset can not be detered by external factors you can not control.

Carefully read back through some of the posts on this thread. You have many answers here from many different perspectives. People who have dealt with the same issues you deal with but have done so with a postive outlook.

dammor

A follow up to a previous thread. If we all agree the PAS system has some major flaws what do we do to fix it.

Seems you opened up a wound here Tie. I think it all comes back to the driver input that was promised but not used when the system was put in. It's still not. As you have heard many have made efforts to fix this mess but it seems no one will listen. If we are frustrated and sometimes say we don't care anymore it is because caring no longer seems to matter. Some say we just don't want changes in our routes. Truth be told that is never fun, but some changes are good ones. This change has not been. It could work, but won't untill someone listens to the folks that get out there everyday and bust it to get it done. Most of us are just tired of fighting a battle that seems we can't win. We will do the best with the hand we are dealt.
That's nothing new..................

canon

A positive mindset can not be detered by external factors you can not control.

Carefully read back through some of the posts on this thread. You have many answers here from many different perspectives. People who have dealt with the same issues you deal with but have done so with a postive outlook.
No, you only have many different perspectives. I have yet to see any answers. It's funny how they all say the same thing: in the places where PAS is broke, management isn't concerned with fixing it.

I do try to keep a positive attitude. My truck hasn't been washed in over 2 months so I draw a Jesus fish in the dirt on the back. Is that what you mean? I punched out at almost 2030 tonight because of loop errors in PAS... should I feel glad that i missed traffic? I've been dealing with this for almost 2 years. How easy it must be for you to trivialize my frustrations.

You keep saying maintain a positive attitude, but I do Tie. I'm constantly trying to come up with different responses for the sympathetic customers who acknowlege how late I'm out delivering. No, I'm not always out this late... have a good nite. Yes maam, I'm almost done. I know it's late, but you're my last stop. No thanks, I have some coffee in the truck.

Then on the way home I begin rehersing the defense I'll use if management wants to gripe about my numbers. Sorry, I just don't see the benefit to maintaining a positive attitude towards PAS. From my seat, it looks like both positions yield the same results. I used to be on that side, show me a reason to return. Giving up on trying to get something fixed is precisely what you're advocating isn't it?

Just make the best of it....

Insted of fixin' sumptin', muh inner net boss sez ah shuld jus sing zip ah dee doo dah. Heez smrt.

tieguy

Banned
No, you only have many different perspectives. I have yet to see any answers.

As I've said before I don't know anything about your building I have no fixes for you. You can bring a positive attitude to work with you. If nothing else it would be one less thing you will have to fix in the future.

It's funny how they all say the same thing: in the places where PAS is broke, management isn't concerned with fixing it.

And many who took steps to fix at least some of the problems?

I do try to keep a positive attitude. My truck hasn't been washed in over 2 months so I draw a Jesus fish in the dirt on the back. Is that what you mean? I punched out at almost 2030 tonight because of loop errors in PAS... should I feel glad that i missed traffic? I've been dealing with this for almost 2 years. How easy it must be for you to trivialize my frustrations.

Sorry you feel that way, trivilizing them has not been my intent.

You keep saying maintain a positive attitude, but I do Tie. I'm constantly trying to come up with different responses for the sympathetic customers who acknowlege how late I'm out delivering. No, I'm not always out this late... have a good nite. Yes maam, I'm almost done. I know it's late, but you're my last stop. No thanks, I have some coffee in the truck.

Now that is odd. Is there any upser out there that has not spent their entire UPS career explaining the same thing to their customers, friends , family and neighbors?

Then on the way home I begin rehersing the defense I'll use if management wants to gripe about my numbers. Sorry, I just don't see the benefit to maintaining a positive attitude towards PAS. From my seat, it looks like both positions yield the same results. I used to be on that side, show me a reason to return. Giving up on trying to get something fixed is precisely what you're advocating isn't it?

Has management ridden with you? What they find out?

Just make the best of it....

Insted of fixin' sumptin', muh inner net boss sez ah shuld jus sing zip ah dee doo dah. Heez smrt.

This last quote proves my point which you previously tried to deny. You have some type of fixation on me as your "internet" boss.

tieguy

Banned

In fact this quote is special enough to be highlighted by itself. On top of being pretty funny it does seem to indicate that you believe you should be unhappy. Many of your other posts are very well thought out and quite informative. But in this area you seem hell bent determined to be as miserable as possible.

Read back through this thread agian. I can't help you in your building but I at least tried to find you some help with this thread. Read through it and look at how your post is so much more negative then any others. Most posters acknowledge the problems they feel PAS brings. Many of those problems are more management related then PAS related. Your post is filled with a poison that is destroying you from within. If zip a dee doo da keeps you from killing yourself with misery then maybe thats the trick. Your internet boss can not help you because you won't let me help you with the one thing I can help you fix. Your attitude.

upsdude

If your building has implemented PAS, you need new time studies. When the implementation team re-draws the loops, they mathmatically re-apportion the allowances. There is really no other way to do it. But those allowances are considered temporary. New time studies will create new unit averages for the allowances. Theoretically, some drivers will gain planned time and some will lose time. But if your studies are already many years old, its hard to predict what might happen. Increasing stop density tends to decrease allowances, but increased traffic congestion tends to increase them. New construction (malls, office complexes, condos, apartment buildings) can have a large impact on allowances.

There is a corporate plan that started in 2005 to have all centers restudied within the next five years. I estimate this will cost more than 45 million.

I know I might take some flak, but well trained people updating the unit allowances will go a long way toward getting a center back in balance. The time studies really do work when done right.

My center was studied in November, the new numbers went into effect last month. I gained approx an hour and 15 minutes, basically lost 25 stops.

mittam

A follow up to a previous thread. If we all agree the PAS system has some major flaws what do we do to fix it.

from drivers standpoint take one of the black markers preloaders use and keep it with you.Deliver air,a couple bulk stops to make room then reload truck using pencil to mark the boxes and put in the order that makes sense. I can usually reload in 20 mins. saves a lot of time later and oh keep in trace percentages NOT!!! There is no fix to the loading problem whether it is how it's loaded or the areas and over dispatch the company refuses to see there is a problem, like a drug addict that refuses to see his addiction, you need to say it first before you canfix it!!!

W

westsideworma

What? These are done by the on road sup most of the time around 7:00am and tend to be the same stops EVERY DAY... Some preloaders will not load some addresses and stack under the belt just waiting for the add cut... When the add cut does not show up at 7:00 then they know it will be in the next batch around 8:00... This happens like clock work...

yeah we had add cut problems at my center before PAS even started. I'd have 3 streets that got shuffled back and forth during the course of the sort. One minute I was getting them then I wasn't, then I was etc. Then they were ABSOLUTELY sure this time that I wasn't getting it back so I loaded some overflow from the rear door bulk stops and then 8am rolled around and guess what? I got them all back after I had bulked it out with the college I had that gets blown out....I said screw it and left them there, there was literally no room. I threw them back in the cage with a note attached, next time make up your mind. This would happen daily for about two weeks before they figured it out.:lol:

canon

tieguy said:
Has management ridden with you? What they find out?
Three times. One was the person responsible for looping it. One was a guy our center brought in (former driver supe from our center who knows the streets) to help un-do what's been done. And finally, a driver supe who was there to find out why i'm so far over allowed. Each one, including the person who looped it, asked, "Why are we doing it like this?"

Nothing has been fixed. It is up to me to "get with the other drivers in my loop" and trade stops off that should be fixed in the computer. Sorry... ain't happenin' no more. Two years with no PAS support, one year of tracking down drivers to beg them to take back stuff they don't want. Done.

These are MY numbers that appear on corporate blotter. These are MY hours away from homelife later than necessary. I don't' mind being out late, that's not the point. But me being out late because Lazy Tie at my building doesn't feel like fixing the loop then complains about over 9.5 is going to be met with every bit of my disapproval. If you want to keep a positive attitude about your drivers screwing up your numbers, be my guest. But I'm willing to bet you're just being so forgiving because MY numbers don't land YOU in hot water.

tieguy said:
This last quote proves my point which you previously tried to deny. You have some type of fixation on me as your "internet" boss.
The quote you're talking about is in reference to your periodic reminder to people here that you are "the most outspoken member of management to post here" as you put it in another thread. You established the employee/employer relationship. Believe me, there is no misconception on my part of your insignificance either here or at work. But admittedly, I do find you amusing as you try to rebuild your image as a "concerned boss". After dismissing everyone in the other threads that agreed with me that PAS isn't the rainbows-and-unicorns solution UPS claims, now you're out to find out how to fix it.

That alone tells me you aren't listening. The fix is that management consults the drivers then acts on the areas which genuine concerns. It is the only fix. I can skip to all my stops, hugs trees, smile and laugh uncontrollably... but all of that is nothing more than a mask for the problem which still exists. If you had a toothache, would it really help if I told you to make the best of it and keep in mind you have a mouthful of teeth that don't hurt? Now keep it up for almost two years. Enough is enough... time to fix it or give up and have the stupid tooth pulled. There's only one way to address PAS, and it's not with "happy thoughts".

rapidrandall

slow but sure
Our center got PAS 18 months ago and it is working pretty well thanks to a good center management team. It is not perfect, but what is? The one thing I'd like to see happen is for our management team to dedicate some time with each driver to fine tune the trace and don't ask me to do this off the clock. I know of some centers that had to be redone three times and still don't have it right. I really feel for the centers that have to fight through this because it can be really good.

tieguy

Banned
The quote you're talking about is in reference to your periodic reminder to people here that you are "the most outspoken member of management to post here" as you put it in another thread. You established the employee/employer relationship.

Ah now I understand I forced your obsession with me onto you. Yuk Yuk das a good un from ma inter nit driver.

dammor

My center was studied in November, the new numbers went into effect last month. I gained approx an hour and 15 minutes, basically lost 25 stops.

Our building was time studied last year. The changes were few and far between. Hello.......The problem won't be solved by people counting our steps. The problem is in people running the PASS system. Apparently we are undergoing an upgrade. Once AGAIN my truck had packages on it today that were for a town 35 miles away. Pal label said they were mine. I've worked to get this fixed many times in the last 2+ years and it always comes back.
I've gone in early and pulled them off because I know if I don't they will be missed. My going in early days are done. I'm more than tired of putting out fires I didn't start.

canon

Ah now I understand I forced your obsession with me onto you. Yuk Yuk das a good un from ma inter nit driver.
74178423.jpg

I guess we have to give you credit for trying, although I wish you would put this much effort into responding to the topics. If anyone is "changing their attitude", I would have to say you are Tie. Once the company apologist, now it seems you are waffling on your original conclusion that everyone is just lying and whining about having to work.
tieguy said:
It does appear it works better in some buildings then others.
Many of those problems are more management related then PAS related.

I accept that as a temporary apology, I know you're still a work in progress. Keep listening with an open mind Tie and one day we might see "tieguy" signing our checks. Or fired... hard to say with this company.

Ignoring the problems is what too many supes do tie.. it's called not rocking the boat. Fixing it or standing up for the people who look to you as a leader (not here) is something that separates you from the rest.

"Mediocrity is excellent to the eyes of mediocre people."
- Joseph Joubert

tieguy

Banned
I guess we have to give you credit for trying, although I wish you would put this much effort into responding to the topics. If anyone is "changing their attitude", I would have to say you are Tie. Once the company apologist, now it seems you are waffling on your original conclusion that everyone is just lying and whining about having to work.

I accept that as a temporary apology, I know you're still a work in progress. Keep listening with an open mind Tie and one day we might see "tieguy" signing our checks. Or fired... hard to say with this company.

Ignoring the problems is what too many supes do tie.. it's called not rocking the boat. Fixing it or standing up for the people who look to you as a leader (not here) is something that separates you from the rest.

"Mediocrity is excellent to the eyes of mediocre people."
- Joseph Joubert
\

Canon I really don't know how to put this any other way. You are really just a little cry baby . I have tried to show you some sympathy because I really am concerned that you may be stupid enough to end it all because you are too obsessed with the management thing. At this point I fully realize that I can not help you because you are hell bent on being miserable. You are hell bent determined to allow the management folks in your building the opportunity to make you miserable. Therefore enjoy your misery.

canon

\

Canon I really don't know how to put this any other way. You are really just a little cry baby . I have tried to show you some sympathy because I really am concerned that you may be stupid enough to end it all because you are too obsessed with the management thing. At this point I fully realize that I can not help you because you are hell bent on being miserable. You are hell bent determined to allow the management folks in your building the opportunity to make you miserable. Therefore enjoy your misery.
I never turn down help tie, but you have yet to offer real help other than calling me a stupid liar who needs to just "be happy". Your attempt to paint me as being close to the edge of lunacy is rather simplistic in nature to divert attention from your failure to address anything I've written. You asked a question earlier: Has management ridden with you? I answered it and you completely ignored it. How convenient for your argument.

Answer it or admit you have no real answers: How does it help to just make the best of it when management wants adherance to standards? If they refuse to fix things, yet hold me accountable for the results of their laziness, how do I make the best of it? Should I make paper doilies out of the warning letters if they decide to go that route? Learn origami to make little paper swans?

Come on boss man, tell me how you'd handle the situation if you were a driver supe in my center. You're on the spot here Tie, lots of people have said the EXACT same things are happening in their centers.... I just know you're not going to tell them "I know you've been trying to fix PAS issues for the last 2 years, but make the best of it. Here's your warning letter." So do tell tie, what would you do after calling them a crybaby and suggesting they are just hell bent on allowing management to make them miserable.

And I have a wonderful outlook on life, thank you anyway for your failed attempt to derail the conversation. I run, workout, do martial arts, taught myself photography, hike on the weekends... but when it comes to the laziness management at my center has shown for fixing pas problems? Why is it unreasonable to hold them to the same standards they hold me to? I get along well with management and always have. But I've gone the route of "making the best of it". You've insulted me already, now try the route of actually conversing on a mature level.

Yeah, I'm bitter about managment not fixing it. In some centers, IE slopped it out to beat some deadline and now I'm stuck dealing with that disaster for almost two years. To be honest, I could really care less if they do fix it... as long as they also ignore corporate's insistance that I meet the numbers a working PAS system is supposed to produce.

I await your next insult, as I can guess you have little more to offer than that.

tieguy

Banned

you are a creationist . Constantly creating your own perverse image of how you want me to be. you then create the words that will fit your own obsessed image of how you think management should be. You torture yourself constantly with your obsession with managment. And you then continue to wallow in the misery you apparently enjoy so much. I thought I could help you but I can't because you enjoy the mental pain and anguish too much.

canon

I await your next insult, as I can guess you have little more to offer than that.

you are a creationist . Constantly creating your own perverse image of how you want me to be. you then create the words that will fit your own obsessed image of how you think management should be. You torture yourself constantly with your obsession with managment. And you then continue to wallow in the misery you apparently enjoy so much. I thought I could help you but I can't because you enjoy the mental pain and anguish too much.

How did I know? lol:lol:

Pssst... the reason you can't help is because you refuse to discuss the issues which would include pointing the finger at management. Offer some way for me to resolve anything which doesn't include me simply "looking the other way" or "making the best of it". As warm and fuzzy as those solutions are, they are not solutions shared by corporate when my lousy numbers are at question. Fixing PAs would help tho... so if you can go that route I'd be much appreciative. Anything else is just an obvious attempt to promote leaving things the way they are.

Mediocrity tie... mediocrity.

tieguy

Banned
How did I know? lol:lol:

Pssst... the reason you can't help is because you refuse to discuss the issues which would include pointing the finger at management. .

See even now after all I have done to try to help you with your problems you still live in severe denial.