Past employment verifications on drivers (DOT drug and alcohol testing)

bspe

I know UPS uses The Work Number for employment verifications but I also need the drug/alcohol testing information since he worked for UPS in the past 3 years. Is there an office that handles the DOT mandated drug/alcohol verifications?

Thank you.

TTBA

I know UPS uses The Work Number for employment verifications but I also need the drug/alcohol testing information since he worked for UPS in the past 3 years. Is there an office that handles the DOT mandated drug/alcohol verifications?

Thank you.

Im not sure.

What are you having for lunch?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Good Luck! Personal information for past DOT exams will not be released to just anyone, besides, wouldn't you rather have this person take a current exam rather than relying on info the last three years?

diesel96

Thank you.

First off, the only subjects at UPS required for random drug/alcohol testing are CDL liscenced carrying employees. Mainly UPS Feeder drivers (Semi-Tractor Trailers).
Any other employees are ONLY subjected to drug/alcohol testing if witnessed and suspected under the influence by management personal or by Law Enforcement.

And FYI, Drug testing results and records are maintained under strict confidentiality by the employer, the drug-testing laboratory, and the medical review officer. What your asking for is an invasion of privacy. They cannot be released to others without the written consent of the employee.

bspe

First off, the only subjects at UPS required for random drug/alcohol testing are CDL liscenced carrying employees. Mainly UPS Feeder drivers (Semi-Tractor Trailers).
Any other employees are ONLY subjected to drug/alcohol testing if witnessed and suspected under the influence by management personal or by Law Enforcement.

And FYI, Drug testing results and records are maintained under strict confidentiality by the employer, the drug-testing laboratory, and the medical review officer. What your asking for is an invasion of privacy. They cannot be released to others without the written consent of the employee.

Yah. I kind of know what I am doing here. Per DOT (Federal) guidelines, I am required to ask for, and obtain, drug and alcohol testing information for the prior 3 years since he was a CDL driver.

bspe

Good Luck! Personal information for past DOT exams will not be released to just anyone, besides, wouldn't you rather have this person take a current exam rather than relying on info the last three years?

I have what I need from him....namely, a signed release authorizing me to contact his past employers for the required testing information. He also would have to pass our pre-employment drug screen.

108 Stitches

Maybe you should hire a better class of people, then you wouldn't need to to through such great lengths. But I guess you'd rather hire somebody of a lower class or ethnic group so you can treat them poorly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know UPS uses The Work Number for employment verifications but I also need the drug/alcohol testing information since he worked for UPS in the past 3 years. Is there an office that handles the DOT mandated drug/alcohol verifications? Thank you.

Not to be rude but results of drug/alcohol testing while he was employed for UPS are none of your business!!

klein

Für Meno :)
Not to be rude but results of drug/alcohol testing while he was employed for UPS are none of your business!!

I totally agree with you there !
I'm going thru the same screening, actually, must more intensive, that can take up to 20 weeks.

I got to do digital fingerprinting. Just to get that appointment is taking 8 days !

Told my new potential employer, just to call UPS.
But, nope, they do thier own screening and have thier own standards.

And, looks like you do your own screening as well. So, just forget the past!

bluehdmc

Yah. I kind of know what I am doing here. Per DOT (Federal) guidelines, I am required to ask for, and obtain, drug and alcohol testing information for the prior 3 years since he was a CDL driver.

Something doesn't sound right, I worked for a couple of DOT regulated businesses prior to UPS then went to work for UPS. I had to fill out a 10yr employment history but do not recall signing any release for a drug and alchohol testing history. If this is a requirement, I would thing HR would be aware of it and be able to provide you with the information. Since you state the prospective employee signed a release I would think it would have to be faxed to HR.

UPSGUY72

Thank you.

I guess you never heard of
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule

It against the law for that infomation to be given to anyone.

Have the person a pre employment that your company pays for and then you will know the results.

UPSGUY72

Something doesn't sound right, I worked for a couple of DOT regulated businesses prior to UPS then went to work for UPS. I had to fill out a 10yr employment history but do not recall signing any release for a drug and alchohol testing history. If this is a requirement, I would thing HR would be aware of it and be able to provide you with the information. Since you state the prospective employee signed a release I would think it would have to be faxed to HR.

You didn't those records are protected under "HIPPA" and probably all destroyed.

UPSGUY72

I totally agree with you there !
I'm going thru the same screening, actually, must more intensive, that can take up to 20 weeks.

I got to do digital fingerprinting. Just to get that appointment is taking 8 days !

Told my new potential employer, just to call UPS.
But, nope, they do thier own screening and have thier own standards.

And, looks like you do your own screening as well. So, just forget the past!

WOW klein your finally getting another job. Don't forget not to drink while you on the clock.

klein

Für Meno :)
WOW klein your finally getting another job. Don't forget not to drink while you on the clock.

No clock ! Just salary. If I chose to take a lunchbreak AFTER work. It's fine.
If I chose not to take any lunchbreak to get home early, or for a beer, it's fine !
I'm done, when I'm done period.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

If you REALLY knew what you were doing here, you would not be on an internet forum board trying to find out what you need to do!!

P

pickup

I think that this guy, bspe is right. He is required to get that info. And bluehmdc, you might have missed the fine print when you put the signature on the piece of paper, but you probably authorized the employer to have permission for the results of your drug tests

And upstate ny, an abstract would not include the results of many drug tests. For example, a feeder driver gets randomly picked to give a urine test, he tests positive and is fired. That info won't be on an abstract.

Most big trucking companies put this info on a D.A.C. (can't remember what that stands for ) but it is sort of a central location for information on a driver, including failed drug tests. UPS, as far as I know, does not put this info on a d.a.c.

UPSGUY72

The employer who sent you to get the test of course can get the results. However the employer can't pass the results onto a third party. That is covered under HIPPA.

Just like another employer asking UPS what injuries you have gotten on the job.

IF the DOT takes a drug test on you then they have a data base. But they still can't give that information out to just anyone.