"Pay Mix" update...

govols019

You smell that?
maybe it's different outside of Operations but I never saw an Onroad go Higher than Onroad, and while i saw some center manager's busted down to Onroad and after a few years in Purgatory were 'promoted" back to center manager i never saw any go "climb the corporate ladder" .

I've seen three on roads make center manager and I've seen one center manager make it to division manger

UPSER1987

I've seen three on roads make center manager and I've seen one center manager make it to division manger
Kind of like anyone can be a driver now because of need and many drivers now that should not be, I have seen many on roads get promoted to manager that had no business being promoted and two managers to division manager just because. Sometimes it becomes a matter of someone has to fill the seat.

dudebro

I'm not being snarky or a smart ass with this question: with the downfall of MIP,Bonuses.1/2 month holiday pay etc HOW are people going to be "incentivized" to go into Management? I see alot of Stick and little to no Carrot
My honest answer is if you have a choice between career driver and career supervisor, career driver wins easily. You only go into management if you think you'll get to the manager level or higher. Not everyone will, and there are no guarantees.

John D

My honest answer is if you have a choice between career driver and career supervisor, career driver wins easily. You only go into management if you think you'll get to the manager level or higher. Not everyone will, and there are no guarantees.

Disagree. I had no interest in doing manual labor for 30 years.

The reality is, everyone is different. Talk to your steward, fellow drivers, family, fellow management etc. Make the decision that is best for you.

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
Not true… I rather work in comfort for 40hrs a week vs in a hot/cold package car running up and down steps. Running from loose dogs, and fighting wild turkey who have beef with the brown.

DMW

The average MIP since 1955 equates to a little over 82% (1 unit). Now 100% is locked in for about 1/3 of the bonus. You can't take 150% as your base because that was a top 3 year out of 66.

The award might have more variance after the change, we'll have to wait and see.
The average is higher than 80%. Only 4 years less than 100%. Mostly over 200% in the 1980 ‘s.

DMW

You will get the owner incentive this year, which pays out on its normal schedule. Preceding 2022, The owner incentive program will become extinct.

FYI:
A lot of questions you may have are most likely on UPSers website. There is a landing page for new pay mix, which host a lot of informative information, examples and FAQs.
Owner incentive used to by simple 2.5% cost of your stock. No sales to deduct, because you never sold. Owned by our Managers and managed by our owners.

dudebro

The average is higher than 80%. Only 4 years less than 100%. Mostly over 200% in the 1980 ‘s.
No, it isn't. 80% was 1.60 units in the old days. You're looking at 1981-1987 and acting like it was the whole history. From 1955 to 1980 - 26 YEARS, it averaged 1.24 units or 62%

DMW

No, it isn't. 80% was 1.60 units in the old days. You're looking at 1981-1987 and acting like it was the whole history. From 1955 to 1980 - 26 YEARS, it averaged 1.24 units or 62%
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were considering 100%. I thought you were talking about unit 1 ; with a factor of 1 by100%. I’ve been retired since 2008 and I’m sure it’s changed. They originally took 10% of profit and paid MIP to manager level and above. Then went to 15% of profit for unit 1 and 2. And of course after UPS IPO , Wallstreet and institutional investors didn’t like the shares being diluted. And UPS to an algorithm. Also the ownership incentive used to be 2.5% of your cost.

DMW

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were considering 100%. I thought you were talking about unit 1 ; with a factor of 1 by100%. I’ve been retired since 2008 and I’m sure it’s changed. They originally took 10% of profit and paid MIP to manager level and above. Then went to 15% of profit for unit 1 and 2. And of course after UPS IPO , Wallstreet and institutional investors didn’t like the shares being diluted. And UPS to an algorithm. Also the ownership incentive used to be 2.5% of your cost

DMW

“ It’s called math” says the person who thinks it’s a 1:1 increase from mip to base. Lol

Just because you’re losing money does not mean we all will. Zero times 3.5% = zero
Things change. Until the IPO , a payout factor of unit 1 would equal 100% one month salary. But we had to work thru 2 years, 2 peaks before your first. 36 years

DMW

Things change. Until the IPO , a payout factor of unit 1 would equal 100% one month salary. But we had to work thru 2 years, 2 peaks before your first. 36 years
And just because you were in management didn’t automatically mean you were eligible. Over the years I was there, I saw a lot that didn’t.