UPS layoffs… what’s happening.

CarolsSecretary

Anyone with new information? Lots of buildings closing. I hear 600 close with 400 new opening or refitted. Management reductions not really started yet I hear. Apart from management age 65 plus and management and union in closing down shifts or buildings. MIP for management also change to save company $. Next contract for union going to be even more painful. Will there even be anyone left…

Thebrownblob

Anyone with new information? Lots of buildings closing. I hear 600 close with 400 new opening or refitted. Management reductions not really started yet I hear. Apart from management age 65 plus and management and union in closing down shifts or buildings. MIP for management also change to save company $. Next contract for union going to be even more painful. Will there even be anyone left…
So you can see 4 1/2 years into the future? Why don’t you just buy a lottery ticket?

Thebrownblob

No just a feeling. The 600 buildings going to be replaced is fact. AI is coming
The hub I work at has been automated for half a dozen years. Well, over 1200 people between four shifts. True, there were lots of jobs eliminated like sorters and pickoffs. But Most of them were replaced with jobs. Were people standing around with their thumbs up their butt and watch a Belt. The most numbing work I’ve ever seen. Really not much of a reduction if any at all.

CarolsSecretary

The hub I work at has been automated for half a dozen years. Well, over 1200 people between four shifts. True, there were lots of jobs eliminated like sorters and pickoffs. But Most of them were replaced with jobs. Were people standing around with their thumbs up their butt and watch a Belt. The most numbing work I’ve ever seen. Really not much of a reduction if any at all.
I would guess then the 200 net closures will be facilities close to automated buildings

Thebrownblob

I would guess then the 200 net closures will be facilities close to automated buildings
Yes, I could see them, collapsing the smaller older buildings. Again, I don’t know that that’s going to actually eliminate a lot of jobs. it will just inconvenience the people who are used to working in the smaller buildings having to go to a larger facility further away. This was the plan all along Covid no Covid, volume reduction no volume reduction.

CarolsSecretary

Yes, I could see them, collapsing the smaller older buildings. Again, I don’t know that that’s going to actually eliminate a lot of jobs. it will just inconvenience the people who are used to working in the smaller buildings having to go to a larger facility further away. This was the plan all along Covid no Covid, volume reduction no volume reduction.
Agree 100% the plan. I forget the slogan. Better not bigger or something

Thebrownblob

Agree 100% the plan. I forget the slogan. Better not bigger or something
In theory, the plan makes some sense, but now closing those smaller centers also causes service to suffer because the routes that were there have to drive further to get to the customer. I don’t know if Carol thought this one all the way through, we shall see….

MattM

My smaller building is losing many union workers but the over staffing of non union supervisors is prevailing. What’s up with that?

Of 200 workers, we’ve lost about 25 with no loss of the 12-15 supervisors. 7-8 would be seemingly ideal. They’re staffed with supervisors like it’s peak 2021.

Their salaries hours got cut (from 27 to 24-25). But actually losing the supervisor worker numbers has not happened

If we lose x amount, is there anything in our union book about supervisors being the first to go?

lurker123

My smaller building is losing many union workers but the over staffing of non union supervisors is prevailing. What’s up with that?

Of 200 workers, we’ve lost about 25 with no loss of the 12-15 supervisors. 7-8 would be seemingly ideal. They’re staffed with supervisors like it’s peak 2021.

Their salaries hours got cut (from 27 to 24-25). But actually losing the supervisor worker numbers has not happened

If we lose x amount, is there anything in our union book about supervisors being the first to go?
No. Supervisors don't perform union work.

MattM

If we have less work and they’re concerned with hours worked and budgets, are supervisors within a separate budget completely? I just want some balance. For every ten of us gone, they need to take one for the team too and lose a manager or supervisor.

If our pph is down and we are told we need to cut staff, why aren’t supervisors getting cut down? I guess that’s the gist of it. They’re seemingly doing less work than ever before. It’s kind of nice for them that they get to supervise less people and get less hours for more money. I don’t see much of a negative to be management at this point.