Paycheck issues.

JCrown

I'm a part time preloader.

Apparently 2-3 weeks ago, UPS gave me the same check 2 weeks in a row. (I receive paper checks)

I didn't question it, just deposited it into my account, and went about spending it.

I just checked my account and the money had been removed, putting me negative, causing me to incur some overdraft fees, and something that amounts to a "bad check" fee.

I'll have to wait until monday to go ask them to cut me the check I was supposed to have had, and I'll probably get some BS about waiting till friday.

Is there anything I can do about this? Other than be sulking?

Thanks guys.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
So it was just a duplicate of the first check?
I would file a grievance for your bank fees incurred, as well as one for what is now a pay error that should entitle you to penalty pay (check your local supplement). Perhaps work with your bank in the interim to see if they will forgive some of the fees as it was a bona fide error.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS issued the identical check twice?? Wow, I have never, ever heard of that happening.

As 104 said, work with your bank to see if they will waive some of those fees (NSF/Overdraft).

UPS should step up to the plate and do the right thing for you as this is clearly their error.

Kae3106

It sounds like the first one was reported lost so it was stopped and a replacement was issued. Could have even been a typo and they meant to stop someone else's check.

Have your center put in a payroll inquiry so they'll research the issue and then request a manual check NDA. I'd also request a full payroll history for the past few weeks so you can make sure you have received all of the checks you were supposed to. The check numbers and amounts will be on the history so you can match to your bank records. If you kick up a fuss, UPS WILL refund you the bank fees if it was truly UPS' error...I've seen it done many times. Replacing the check is the first step but you need to be made whole if you incurred fees due to someone else's error.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This reads to me like you received more pay than what you had earned.

Am I reading that right?

No. He was issued one paycheck, deposited it, and then was issued the same paycheck the following week, deposited that one, which the bank later tagged as "duplicate" which then caused all sorts of problems with his account. The OP needs to work with his bank to try to get the fees reduced or waived and he needs to get UPS to step up and do the right thing by covering those fees the bank does not waive.

JCrown

Alright, I'll be able to talk with my bank monday;
and I'll talk to my bank whenever they open after that and get as many fees waived as I can.

Thanks guys,

i'll let you know how the bank / management handle it tomorrow!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you receive any notification from the company that there were any issues with either check, like a stop payment being issued on the first one because it was reported lost and the second one issued as a replacement? Was there anything that would have caused you to be concerned that there may be issues with either or both checks?

Nimnim

The Nim
I can see the possibility of a clerical error causing a stop payment/replacement check, but if that was the case what happened to the check that was suppose to arrive normally in addition to the replacement check?

Ouch

No. He was issued one paycheck, deposited it, and then was issued the same paycheck the following week, deposited that one, which the bank later tagged as "duplicate" which then caused all sorts of problems with his account. The OP needs to work with his bank to try to get the fees reduced or waived and he needs to get UPS to step up and do the right thing by covering those fees the bank does not waive.
I dont think the bank tagged It as duplicate. I think ups cancelled the check which voided it in his account. File a grievance article 17. File it every week they dont pay you so you collect the penalties and you have a record of it then file article 37 and 66.