Peak 2017

newgirl

Thanks. We have to put the express magnetic stickers on our rentals. Nothing like driving a plain white truck through a neighborhood and knocking on people's doors.

Purplepackage

Thanks. We have to put the express magnetic stickers on our rentals. Nothing like driving a plain white truck through a neighborhood and knocking on people's doors.

You technically don't have too unless they gave you a box truck to use. Nothing like doing 150 stops out of a rental van

newgirl

You technically don't have too unless they gave you a box truck to use. Nothing like doing 150 stops out of a rental van
Part of why I asked, I think I have read in policy that we have to, not for dot just another fedex rule and procedure that interferes with how I am able to do my job.

You would think after all of these years they would design rental inserts-like shelves that can hook up to the interior panels-but no, better to be out in the pitch dark crawling around looking for that pkg that slid under the passenger seat. Sigh, a girl can dream I guess

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Part of why I asked, I think I have read in policy that we have to, not for dot just another fedex rule and procedure that interferes with how I am able to do my job.

You would think after all of these years they would design rental inserts-like shelves that can hook up to the interior panels-but no, better to be out in the pitch dark crawling around looking for that pkg that slid under the passenger seat. Sigh, a girl can dream I guess

When I first started (1989) our rentals had shelves and a mini pass through door to the cab.

It will be fine

They make shelves that can easily pop on and off the panels, it's a matter of buying them. Probably not worth it for a few weeks of work.

newgirl

Most of the rentals don't have a cab partition which may be a safety issue with shelves.
I can see your point, but there are ways to secure the pkgs on the shelf. Maybe more so than having it all slide around getting crushed. Or getting clobbered by the hand truck

MAKAVELI

I can see your point, but there are ways to secure the pkgs on the shelf. Maybe more so than having it all slide around getting crushed. Or getting clobbered by the hand truck
I would think it would be a DOT requirement to have a partition if shelves are installed.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
When I first started (1989) our rentals had shelves and a mini pass through door to the cab.
Back when YOU started, FedEx had management with enough experience to actually prepare for Peak. Nowadays, they wait until everyone else has booked the rentals, and we end up delivering in Dodge Caravans with the rear seats removed.

Unfortunately, when FedEx had their buyouts in early 21st century, most of that experience walked off into the sunset. Their replacements wake up to a new world each day.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
We always carried enough totes to cover the rear compartment floor. That allowed for segregating stops and staging small packages, making them accessible. Then, as you empty them, you can stack them, or block the remaining freight next to your doors.

Purplepackage

We always carried enough totes to cover the rear compartment floor. That allowed for segregating stops and staging small packages, making them accessible. Then, as you empty them, you can stack them, or block the remaining freight next to your doors.

If I have to use a van for peak I just build walls until the van is bulked out (because this coming week it's always is). Then when I leave the building I deliver what ever I can see when opening the side door and spend at least 2 hours total sorting. Did that for a couple days last year and they gave me a reach for the rest of peak lol

STFXG

Not really worth $4k to add shelves to a truck for the month. Plus a half day worth off labor to install them.