Peak Mode or Methods?

9.5 everyday

I tend to avoid doing any deliveries at all until I have my entire truck sorted. Which isn't until about 5:00 or 6:00. Sometimes later. I never ever get out of the truck if it's raining. And if I want to make a few deliveries, I do. But usually I don't feel like it, so I don't. That's peak mode for me.

Overpaid Union Thug

Smooth and steady wins the race any time of the year and especially during peak. With a helper you can deliver more packages because each of your are doing two different things at the same time that if the driver was alone they would have to do at separate times. I do splits all house calls during peak and at times have no problem deliver 30+ stops hr all day long because I'm sorting while the helper is delivering unless there are two stops right next to each other or across the street from each other in which I would deliver one while the helper got the other. During peak you need have a plan and execute it almost flawlessly each day.
Same here. Sorting while the helper delivers saves some time but on routes with dense residential deliveries that time is negated by not being able to adequately work through the loads. There is often too much stuffed in there to be able to move packages around with relative ease. Last year wasn't like that because UPS did the right thing and ran more routes. And also because I was running a rural route in an old 700. ;)

I know that many, probably most, people go into peak mode and start moving much faster to get done during peak. We've all done it. Many of the methods are out the door once peak really starts. Many run and tell their helpers to run too. There is no such thing as staying on designated walk paths. And the cab has at least 10 stops on the dash/floor. But why should we have to do that only to get off the clock at 9:30 or later?

Last year proved that none of that nonsense should happen. Many, if not must of us, had a pretty smooth peak and didn't have many late nights. There was no need for many of us to go into peak mode. That is why I will never do it again. Will anyone else take a stand and do the same?

UPS announced that they would cut back from last year. Oh well. I will be continuing to follow as many methods as I can. If I can't finish the route then I guess the center will just have to send a runner and gunner (with their unsuspecting brainwashed helper in tow) to get the rest. Otherwise..... Non Del, Missed. ;)
I do it the same during peak as the rest of the year. I get no helper and the area is tighter. I do about 75 to 80 stops during peak with about 90 topping out for the three heavy days. It's a real grind.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In my early days I probably went into "peak mode", but it didn't take me too many peaks to figure out that the best strategy was to treat it as just another day. My helpers had it pretty easy too, I remember one year I had a helper who had already worked with a couple other drivers and he told me "Man you got it made, those other guys are killing themselves". I got a good laugh out of that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The only thing I do is the quick scan/stop complete so I can start the engine back up fast to keep toasty.

I I I I I I !! COCK A DODDLE DOOOOO
If you roll that way I fully support you. It seems that you are all over my rooster but I'm deeply in love with my female wife. She is a great woman. I hope you find a good rooster and it settles you down. When you get into your early thirties in about five years is the perfect time to settle down. Good luck.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I don't do anything different. They want me in earlier? Put more routes in. My pace has already been deemed as more than acceptable by about 12 OR supes so I have no need to go faster and risk an injury or accident.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my early days I probably went into "peak mode", but it didn't take me too many peaks to figure out that the best strategy was to treat it as just another day. My helpers had it pretty easy too, I remember one year I had a helper who had already worked with a couple other drivers and he told me "Man you got it made, those other guys are killing themselves". I got a good laugh out of that.

Same here. I woke up years ago and figured out how stupid it was. I don't care if corporate supposedly "ignores' telematics. I won't be changing a thing.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't do anything different. They want me in earlier? Put more routes in. My pace has already been deemed as more than acceptable by about 12 OR supes so I have no need to go faster and risk an injury or accident.

My pace is acceptable by me and I set that pace based on what the methods say. That's enough for me. Twelve sups can approve or disapprove. I don't care. I'm just playing the game the way they have it spelled out for us in the methods that THEY wrote and claim to want us to follow. LOL!

35years

Gravy route
The company showed during peak 2 years ago that they did not care one bit about providing service to the customer as well as completely disrespecting their drivers by dispatching 14 hour days. They were called out by social media and had to remedy it last year. If they think they can play the skeleton crew peak game with no repercussions this year, they are sadly mistaken.

After 30+ years of NEVER bringing stops back undelivered as a mater of personal and company pride, peak 2 years ago made me ashamed to be a UPSer. They can never again use the "be a team player", and "we all work together during peak" card again. If they under-staff this year, good luck because the get-r-done attitude during peak has been destroyed by corporate greed.

El Correcto

god is dead
I did seasonal driving 2 years ago and it was a mess. A very profitable mess... I was in a 24 footer doing 8 bulk stops and 5 pick ups, took me all day. No one ever cared.

Holydriver

Last year was tits. I was getting paid more guarantee pay a week than OT. For the first peak ever, I was able to see my kids at night. In fact I saw my kids more in 2 months that I think I ever have. My pay checks weren't great, but the family time was nice. My beast helper and I worked by the methods every day. I have the same helper lined up for this year too. I expect to get crushed and make a killing this year. Slow and steady, one stop at a time. Safety first!!
i finished my work between 3-4 a few times last year. then took lunch. never punched out before 8pm though....always gotta help someone.