Peak Mode or Methods?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I $%##% DESPISE peak now, remember way back, when peak lasted a couple of weeks? I will be getting a helper next week, not because volume is up but because dispatch will cut routes bump up my stop count and area size to meet some corporate mandate.. @#$@@@$$@!!!! Wont end till almost Febuary!!!!!

oldngray

nowhere special
I $%##% DESPISE peak now, remember way back, when peak lasted a couple of weeks? I will be getting a helper next week, not because volume is up but because dispatch will cut routes bump up my stop count and area size to meet some corporate mandate.. @#$@@@$$@!!!! Wont end till almost Febuary!!!!!

Peak used to be one bad month with one or two weeks of hell then back to normal. Instead of peak all year.

BrownBrokeDown

Peak used to be one bad month with one or two weeks of hell then back to normal. Instead of peak all year.
As a pter, in a sense, I am on the outside looking in. I am a member of a group that the percentage of dues paying members and the percentage that vote is atrocious. That being said, I believe that you drivers should get together for the next contract and let Teamster management know you are sick of the cut routes. I see it all the time at my hub. Instead of every driver having 8 hr days during the summer (there is enough drivers/cover drivers) the drivers that work are still working 9.5 to 12 hrs every night because of the ridiculous amount of cut routes. just my opinion.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I work by the methods all year long. If it comes off it comes off,if they put 1`6 hours of work on me i bring what i cant get rid of back. I take my full hour lunch,and work safely. i laugh at those who run,get stressed and act stupid

Overpaid Union Thug

Anyone in "Peak Mode" yet now that UPS has started their usual artificial peak season in November? I know I'm not. And I dare them to think that by piling on the extra work and forcing me to use a helper is going to change anything. My goal this year is not to find the fastest helper. The goal is to find the coolest helper to chat with while driving in semi rural/rural areas. LOL!

UPSGUY72

Anyone in "Peak Mode" yet now that UPS has started their usual artificial peak season in November? I know I'm not. And I dare them to think that by piling on the extra work and forcing me to use a helper is going to change anything. My goal this year is not to find the fastest helper. The goal is to find the coolest helper to chat with while driving in semi rural/rural areas. LOL!

I just want to find a helper that I don't have to baby sit all day and shows up to work everyday.

barnyard

KTM rider
That is why I will never do it again. Will anyone else take a stand and do the same?

I had the same experience last year and will do the same this year.

A guy that has a route that I cover used a helper for a couple of days that I had for most of the season. Found out that that driver NEVER has packages in the cab. He keeps a tote under section 1 and that is where he puts 'the next' stop. I started doing the same and found that once a routine is learned, it works as well as using 'section 9.'

Last year's helper was also a little older than me and walked a bit slower than me. He did everything safe and followed directions and I never had to worry about him falling (unlike other helpers that I have had). It made for a nicer day for both of us, I think.

Overpaid Union Thug

I just want to find a helper that I don't have to baby sit all day and shows up to work everyday.

As long as mine isn't a creepy tool when we chat between stops and can walk at a brisk pace to and from the delivery points then I'll be happy.

You have better odds of winning the lottery

You are probably right. They are getting worse every year.

A guy that has a route that I cover used a helper for a couple of days that I had for most of the season. Found out that that driver NEVER has packages in the cab. He keeps a tote under section 1 and that is where he puts 'the next' stop. I started doing the same and found that once a routine is learned, it works as well as using 'section 9.'

Last year's helper was also a little older than me and walked a bit slower than me. He did everything safe and followed directions and I never had to worry about him falling (unlike other helpers that I have had). It made for a nicer day for both of us, I think.
Any helper that had been running and gunning, holding on to packages in the cab, and had been told to do other silly crap will be quite shocked when they meet up with me.

peak mode...LOL

EXACTLY! LOL

Foamer Pyle

Was just wondering how you fit the oversize 120lb Barca-lounger in the tote?

Overpaid Union Thug

Because in order to do so you have to violate the methods and that includes working unsafe. Doing that also takes away any incentive for your dispatcher to think twice about piling on extra work. Last peak proved that we should never have to go into any "Peak Mode." Have fun though.

If "Peak Mode" is indeed faster than Methods, are you sluffing off the rest of the year?

Working in Peak Mode is nothing more than drivers folding under the pressure to get more done because the company is willing to exploit them for doing so.

UPSGUY72

Peak mode.

Everyday is the same for me whether it's peak or not. I really don't know what peak mode is as you can only deliver one package at a time. Even though I become Santa to a lot of people during peak I don't have his magical powers to deliver more than one stop at a time. The elf (helper) that helps me also doesn't always make my day go by any faster than if I was doing it by myself...

Overpaid Union Thug

Everyday is the same for me whether it's peak or not. I really don't know what peak mode is as you can only deliver one package at a time. Even though I become Santa to a lot of people during peak I don't have his magical powers to deliver more than one stop at a time. The elf (helper) that helps me also doesn't always make my day go by any faster than if I was doing it by myself...

Peak Mode is when a driver discards methods and sanity in order to get more packages delivered. It's basically becoming a runner and gunner and forcing a helper (if they have one) into the scheme. So, instead of one person grabbing a package off of the dash or floor in the cab and taking off at a sprint, there are two people. Add exceeding the speed limit, and any other possible way of cutting corners, to the scheme and there yo have it.....Peak Mode.

Peak Mode for a driver that is a runner and gunner every day of the year involves a seamless transition. All they have to do is coach their poor helper in the art of working like a madman and they are off to the races.

And al of this, of course, is supported by corporate.........as long as Peak Mode doesn't result in an injury or destruction of UPS or customer property. Because once that happens they'll just throw the book of methods in their face.

UPSGUY72

Peak Mode is when a driver discards methods and sanity in order to get more packages delivered. It's basically becoming a runner and gunner and forcing a helper (if they have one) into the scheme. So, instead of one person grabbing a package off of the dash or floor in the cab and taking off at a sprint, there are two people. Add exceeding the speed limit, and any other possible way of cutting corners, to the scheme and there yo have it.....Peak Mode.

Peak Mode for a driver that is a runner and gunner every day of the year involves a seamless transition. All they have to do is coach their poor helper in the art of working like a madman and they are off to the races.

And al of this, of course, is supported by corporate.........as long as Peak Mode doesn't result in an injury or destruction of UPS or customer property. Because once that happens they'll just throw the book of methods in their face.

Smooth and steady wins the race any time of the year and especially during peak. With a helper you can deliver more packages because each of your are doing two different things at the same time that if the driver was alone they would have to do at separate times. I do splits all house calls during peak and at times have no problem deliver 30+ stops hr all day long because I'm sorting while the helper is delivering unless there are two stops right next to each other or across the street from each other in which I would deliver one while the helper got the other. During peak you need have a plan and execute it almost flawlessly each day.