Peak Season Volume

DOK

We are getting crushed with delivery volume. Everyone is working 13 hour days. Any idea what is causing the sudden surge in volume? We thought it might be the Amazon driver layoffs but FedEx is seeing the same thing in Florida. Coronavirus? Any thoughts what is causing the insane volume uptick?
People have money in their pockets from their income tax refund

Whither

Scofflaw
20200306_190011.jpg

Whither

Scofflaw
Bruh,

You moving as if that's a training route. I hope you had more stops left cause you are blowing that route up for the next driver.

That was after my last stop. I usually hustle but don't work unsafely, and I take my lunch and paid 10: I plan to be here for the long haul. Over the past month I've even started using legit 3 points of contact getting in and out of the pkg car -- two hands on the rail -- and turn as I'm stepping out to the curb. The job has slowed down considerably for me.

It's a cake suburban route. Good parking positions, not much traffic. Rarely more than 5 air stops, 20 businesses. Goes out in a 1000 so the aisle is walkable. We've been getting out of the building on time, so usually have 20 done by 1030. The former driver went to feeders after 25 years in pkg. He scratched it regularly. On this one you don't have to cut corners, just be smooth.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
That was after my last stop. I usually hustle but don't work unsafely, and I take my lunch and paid 10: I plan to be here for the long haul. Over the past month I've even started using legit 3 points of contact getting in and out of the pkg car -- two hands on the rail -- and turn as I'm stepping out to the curb. The job has slowed down considerably for me.

It's a cake suburban route. Good parking positions, not much traffic. Rarely more than 5 air stops, 20 businesses. Goes out in a 1000 so the aisle is walkable. We've been getting out of the building on time, so usually have 20 done by 1030. The former driver went to feeders after 25 years in pkg. He scratched it regularly. On this one you don't have to cut corners, just be smooth.
We have routes like that too, where you can do 25 an hour consistently without breaking a sweat or over exerting yourself at all. Just gotta stay sorted. I’m always weary of going too fast but some routes are so damn easy that you get into a zone and you’re doing everything perfect and smooth and stops just fly off the truck.

Whither

Scofflaw
We have routes like that too, where you can do 25 an hour consistently without breaking a sweat or over exerting yourself at all. Just gotta stay sorted. I’m always weary of going too fast but some routes are so damn easy that you get into a zone and you’re doing everything perfect and smooth and stops just fly off the truck.

Exactly.

My first day in the blind on commercial or industrial routes I usually bomb it -- always close to service failures, or in one case, 16 pieces late air haha. After a few days I've got it down, but unless the pickup run is easy, e.g., back the bulk van to a dock and a fork truck driver loads wrapped skids, I never scratch those routes. I know the tips for dealing with commercial stops, but rapport is as much a factor there as area knowledge. Working as an unassigned cover driver is a lot like working as a substitute teacher -- a lot of stops you get little respect until you've been there for a while.

This by way of saying, getting into that zone on an easy resi route is a welcome relief from the rough days juggling commits.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We are getting crushed with delivery volume. Everyone is working 13 hour days. Any idea what is causing the sudden surge in volume? We thought it might be the Amazon driver layoffs but FedEx is seeing the same thing in Florida. Coronavirus? Any thoughts what is causing the insane volume uptick?
Volume is light in my area.