Peak sucks

I do not run. Period.

As far as skipping lunch, depends on the trip. Some trips, do to late pick ups (after 5) I will take my lunch do to having no options. I have a real hard time sitting for an hour. Rural route even worse. Not going to park in some parking lot and sit for 1hour when I can skip the lunch...be back at home eatting dinner with my family. Most of the time my bonus covers my lunch and then some. So either way I am getting a lunch break......my lunch break is at home at the end of the day. I WILL ADD....if I was a bid driver I would have to change as I know the management would probably add more work......but I am a full time cover driver and intend to stay that way. I am one of the few who does not want my own route. ADDHDD or what ever you want to call it.

Is it wrong to set up the truck so I can get Grounds off with the air's? If anything I am probably making the customer happy.
Is it wrong to set up the truck so I can get Grounds off between air stops so I am not back tracking?

One example....I know a trip that has a motorcycle shop that is the very first business I pass entering the area. The owner likes it when I cover the trip as I will have his stops off first stop. This allows him to get the parts for jobs he is trying to complete. It also helps me as I will not have to come back down to his area as I will have grounds and airs off first thing.

What is wrong with me sitting at home and getting paid in bonus vs sitting in a parking lot waitting for the hour lunch to tick by??

Could it be that some resent UPSers like me becuase we dont have boards that lock up?
Could it be that some resent UPSers like me because we do get bonus?

Either case, why do you care if I work off the clock? Or skip lunch.

As far as pieces and stops question.......that means nothing. As I have stated b4 each trip is diffrent. You can have 2 trips that have about the same miles....packages...and stops and have a total diffrent dispatch........time study will dictate that.

I know one trip where the driver had a time study and still cut corners and set up truck and his dipatch sucks.....oh wait I guess I shoul man up and say his time study doesnt suck.....
what you are doing is called $h|+ing where I eat. You pass through from time to time take a dump on my dinner table and leave it for me to clean up. You can't wait for me to go on vacation so you can manipulate my sweet tit route. Why do you like my route? I will tell you because I take care of it. Methods and good service make the goals on this route easy for you to manipulate by cutting corners and taking your dump on my table.

UPSBluRdg03

Last week sucked for sure, this week wasnt as bad. Boy was I smiling thursday when I opened that check with 14.64 hours OT though.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It has been a tough Peak for me. I clocked out with eight minutes of OT the last two days, I might have got an hour of it all week. Its tough sitting in the cab and watching my Helper all day.

Re-Raise

Just wondering....how many stops and pieces do you pickup and deliver to be able to get that much bonus....do you run and skip your lunch and breaks????

Kingofchester how about we make this a little simpler for you to answer. How many stops and pieces did you pickup and deliver YESTERDAY to make up your 13 hour day and your 2.37 clicks of bonus.

Feel free to make broad statements or exaggerate as necessary to avoid actually answering the question.

DS

Fenderbender
Forgive me for being stupid,but(bonus driver)what does that mean? You get paid for your planned day,regardless if you run under?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It has been a tough Peak for me. I clocked out with eight minutes of OT the last two days, I might have got an hour of it all week. Its tough sitting in the cab and watching my Helper all day.

I had .75 OT and .39 in guaranty pay on last week's check. This week should be a little better but not much. I have an awesome helper.

kingOFchester

what you are doing is called $h|+ing where I eat. You pass through from time to time take a dump on my dinner table and leave it for me to clean up. You can't wait for me to go on vacation so you can manipulate my sweet tit route. Why do you like my route? I will tell you because I take care of it. Methods and good service make the goals on this route easy for you to manipulate by cutting corners and taking your dump on my table.

You are making accusations without knowing anything about the way I work. You do not know anything about the way I service MY customers. When I am driving a bid trip, you have no clue if I cut corners. Do you just make crap up? I respect stewards, but not ones that throw out accusations with nothing to back it up.

Kingofchester how about we make this a little simpler for you to answer. How many stops and pieces did you pickup and deliver YESTERDAY to make up your 13 hour day and your 2.37 clicks of bonus.

Feel free to make broad statements or exaggerate as necessary to avoid actually answering the question.
Sorry for missing the question. Another acusation accusing me of avoiding a question. Just over looked it as I have already made it clear that it was miles that helped me get 237 clicks.

30 clicks saved in the am by working “free”
1oo clicks “skipping lunch.
That leaves 137 clicks that was made up threw miles and stops and packages.
301 stops
377 packages deliverd
1 Pickup, 150 or so next day air envelopes.

I was/am driving a spilt in 3 areas that are all 20-30 miles away from center and all are 20-30 miles away from each other. Total miles for the day was 156.
The spilt is VERY easy as it is ALL residential…..and mostly town homes, and condos.
I believe it. Your attitude wouldn't fly for long at our center.

How much seniority do you have?
Well good for you. Really have not met anyone who hasen’t been called something worse then sucker. Not sure why the need for you and others to throw insults. Have I thrown insults? I have found when someone is loosing an argument they feel the need to start throwing personal attacks in the aruguement. Not sure you would fly in my center, but who knows…..you may be a great guy who’s words are misinterpreted by the reader of your posts.
Forgive me for being stupid,but(bonus driver)what does that mean? You get paid for your planned day,regardless if you run under?

YES. If my dispatch is 8.4 hours and it takes 9 hours, I get paid 9 hours. If my dispatch in 9.8 and I get it done in 8.…I get paid for a 9.8 hour day. So if I skip lunch and work in the am to set up my truck I don’t loose money because that time is made up on the back end.
Ok, I am going to try and be clear on my PERSONAL feelings on the issue at hand. Feel free to throw out accusations that you have no evidenece to back up.

If I was a bid driver, I would NOT work in the AM. I WOULD take my lunch. I WOULD spend more time talking to the receiver’s at businesses. I would NOT try to figure out the most efficient way to run the trip, I would just follow EDD. The reason for this is because I know 2 things will arise from this behavior. 1) They would start giving me more and more work. 2) I do believe that a bid driver needs to work the customers and spend a few moments talking crap as this can help keep their business and keep them happy. I am not a bid driver and wish not to be a bid driver at THIS point of my life.

There is a bid driver on one of the slides that is a runner and gunner. His trip has gotten so heavy it sucks. He is running like a chicken with his head cut off every morning. The dude is going to have a heart attack. He is yelling sweeting and having a hissy fit almost every morning, not the way I want to live or work.

As a cover driver, and also knowing 15 trips, I am never on the same trip for more then several days. By running under by an hour or more really does not affect the work I will have the next day. The customers on the trips I cover probably have no intrest in hearing about me or anything, so I do not talk much at all. I work to get done. If the Business customer moves his work because a driver he see’s only several times a month doesn’t take the time to talk crap, well not much I can do about that.
I do NOT usually run anywhere close to 2.37 clicks of bonus. My bonus usually only covers my AM time and IF…IF….I skip lunch covers that time and then a little extra.
If you have a problem with that, then that is on you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I was a bid driver, I would NOT work in the AM. I WOULD take my lunch. I WOULD spend more time talking to the receiver’s at businesses. I would NOT try to figure out the most efficient way to run the trip, I would just follow EDD. The reason for this is because I know 2 things will arise from this behavior. 1) They would start giving me more and more work. 2) I do believe that a bid driver needs to work the customers and spend a few moments talking crap as this can help keep their business and keep them happy. I am not a bid driver and wish not to be a bid driver at THIS point of my life.

I was just like you when I was a cover driver. The sad reality is that your behavior would not change if and when you do get your own area. You will slow down but you will still find the most efficient way to run the area. You will spend more time with the customers but will still have the same sense of urgency and there is nothing wrong with that.

The following story may enlighten you as to why so many here have taken issue with you. I had my own bid run but asked if I could cover an area that I used to be the bid driver on when that driver took the day off. I liked that area but did not like the driving during the winter. I joked with my center manager that it should be a split bid area--I would run it from April-October and someone else could run it the rest of the year. Anyway, the bid driver had talked all sorts of crap about me prior to me taking over the area. He had also gotten the area down to where it was barely an 8 hour dispatch. I decided I was going to have a little fun at his expense and I ran the hell out of that area. I went out with exactly what he would have been dispatched with and absolutely burned it. I was punched out by 3:15pm with a dispatch that he would have finished at 6pm. No missed, no send agains, no lookups--every package delivered. No lunch and no breaks--Code 5--punch to punch. The best part was that he happened to be at the building picking up his paycheck when I pulled in. He looked at me, I looked at my watch and smiled. Jack, if you are reading this, I can still recall the look on your face--priceless.

My point? Bid drivers consider their areas to be their own and treat their customers as their own. When you come along and burn an area you not only make the bid driver look bad but you may be compromising customer service by doing so. Also, by coming in and setting up the pkg car, you are taking work away from the preload. The preloader may also come to expect the bid driver to do the same. I admit that I do come in early during Peak to help my preloader close out my package car but I try to limit this during the rest of the year as I do not want him to rely on my help to do his job.

BTW, the bonus that you speak of is what I have heard called the California dispatch--being paid for the dispatch as opposed to hours worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
70 business stops
129 residential
34 pick-ups
clocked out at 5:15
today wasn't so bad

but peak still SUCKS
67 stops 295 pieces
21 pick ups 174 pieces
Alot of miles
Punch out 19:21

O yea 384 stops for the week and 58hours

I love peak it's what you make of it let it snow let it snow let it snow.

Last edited:

kingOFchester

Thanks for being a streight shooter and not personaly attacking me.

I hear and respect what you have to say.

Several things we have to take into account.

Eacch local, building and even center have there own qwirks.....

Unfortuantly, or frtunatly (dependng on the tint of glasses one wares) I work in a center where I would guess 70-80 percent of the drivers are on the belt 30 minutes aheahed of time setting up their truck. I work in a center where I would of been disqualified from the get go had I not shown good numbers. We all play by the "non written" rules of our franchise. I play the game as most of the drivers play. Right or wrong, I play the game as it is......

There is one driver on my belt.....not lie here....who is there 2 hours ahead of start time. He loads his entire truck. He pre-records EVERY package. He is back at the building at 3 and never later then 4. This is not the norm, but the extream. We also have drivers that walk on the belt at start time and don't touch a thing until then.......again not the norm, but rather the extream..... All good. But we all do what we feel is best. I truly believe that I do not hurt the business by the way i work. Have I made mistakes....hell yea......but there is a huge learning curve in this job.

When someone says you make me look bad by running my route faster then me, you are worried about yourself.
What is wrong with me looking out for me, and not you so that I can see my daughters soccer game or be able to make it to parent teacher confrennece or what have you?

If you (not you personaly upstate) are worried about the way you look, what is wrong with me looking out for the way I look.

I am not saying my way is right, but it works for me and evidently works for my managemnet team.

Peace to all my brothers.....time to go to work, yes I have a week end job

Re-Raise

Kingofchester I am still curious about how much seniority you have. If everything you are claiming is true and you can run this split route 2 hours under on a 13 hour dispatch then you are still working 11 hours.

If your center is routinely sending out 11 to 13 hour dispatches then maybe this working before start time isn't working out so great for you. We have had this whole bonus driver discussion before so I see no reason to start it again.

It will be interesting if your attitude on this is the same 10 , 15 or 20 years from now.

I deliver at a pace that is fair and gets me in about scratch while trying to provide the best service to the customers I can within the time UPS allots me.

It would never occur to me at this stage in my UPS career to care how far under my allowance I could run.

kingOFchester

Kingofchester I am still curious about how much seniority you have. If everything you are claiming is true and you can run this split route 2 hours under on a 13 hour dispatch then you are still working 11 hours.

If your center is routinely sending out 11 to 13 hour dispatches then maybe this working before start time isn't working out so great for you. We have had this whole bonus driver discussion before so I see no reason to start it again.

It will be interesting if your attitude on this is the same 10 , 15 or 20 years from now.

I deliver at a pace that is fair and gets me in about scratch while trying to provide the best service to the customers I can within the time UPS allots me.

It would never occur to me at this stage in my UPS career to care how far under my allowance I could run.

This is my third peak driving.

I am sure my attitude will change as I age, as my kids move out, as my body gets older....yadda yadda yadda.....

At this point in my working life I work what works for me.\

I deliver at a pace that is fair and gets me in when I want to be in while trying to provide the best service to the customers I can within the time UPS allots me.

Just because it doesn't occur to u, does not mean it doesn't occur to me. We all work the way we feel best suits us and our career.

Never ever ever did I say I get sent out regulalry with 13 hours worth of work. Just several days the past week over peak........

I think I have made myself clear in how I work. Adios, enough time spent trying to defend my working habbits.

If you choose to believe that there are not trips in my center where the bid driver has gotten sour towards UPS and so they deliver airs first, then go back and deliver grounds....then spend time shooting the $h!t with customers then you are mistaken. If you think that I cant run the same route and finish and hour to 2 hours under the bid driver by A) setting up the truck in the am.......B)skipping my lunch.....C) getting grounds off with air's.......D) Not following EDD if it has me bouncing from one end of the loop to the other..........then again You are mistaken.

Also, If I make 1.5 hours of bonus and skipped my lunch and worked 30 minutes in the AM off the clock...then it is the same as not working in the am and taking my lunch. Id rather have the 1.5 hour of pay when i am home rather then at work.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Do you get paid bonus for under allowed? If not....then I can see your point. Lets compare apples to apples/
I'm in a bonus center ( I think Re-Raise is too), and I really don't care how much I run under/over allowed. But you said this is only your 3rd peak so I can relate, I remember thinking I had it all figured out and that working off the clock and skipping my lunch was "worth it" as long as I was making bonus. It's not, but you'll figure that out on your own schedule, just like most of us did.

I'm in a bonus center ( I think Re-Raise is too), and I really don't care how much I run under/over allowed. But you said this is only your 3rd peak so I can relate, I remember thinking I had it all figured out and that working off the clock and skipping my lunch was "worth it" as long as I was making bonus. It's not, but you'll figure that out on your own schedule, just like most of us did.
+1

kingOFchester

And I agree.....let me say it again I AGREE...but at this point in my life, it works for me. Who know's how I will feel 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now, but as of now it is the way I work. I am happy with the money I make and the time I get home at night. I am happy that I do not have managemnt breathing down my neck and happy to even be working.

Thanks to those that kept it civil with out personal attacks and offerd their view/advice. I may regret how I do things now, but I am doing what seems right for me NOW.

Jones, I would like to hear from you how it is wrong to do what I am doing. Cutting lunch when I can, and setting up truck in the AM. I am not being sarcastic, just looking for some soild insight into the "seasoned" UPS driver's thinking.

Peak still sucks though......