Peak sucks

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
My hands look the same--I call them "winter hands". I don't wear gloves as I have yet to find gloves that will let me use the DIAD. I will wear a hat (toque) but won't if I have to go someplace after work as I don't want to have "hat head".

Mechanix Fast Fit gloves work for me, I don't have to cut the tips off either I can work the diad fine.

I use cloth gloves with black knobs on them to grip the packages. They are really glove liners but they work great. They are only a buck a pair and last no more than a week. I buy a bundle of 20 pair at a time. Some of the drivers even use them in the summer.

I have worn Neumann receivers year-round since I began driving. Youth-L run about $18 a pair. I order 10 pair at once and wash them daily (they get WAY FUNKY). I also spray them inside with foot spray, especially in the summer. One pair lasts on average 2 or 3 weeks, but I get to keep my smooth girly hands.

over9five

Staff member
I use these:

S-36302F.JPG

Lifetime guarantee, but difficult to use the DIAD

DS

Fenderbender
Wow, what long fingers you have. You know what they say about a guy with long fingers. Whatcha doin tonight, DS?
What they say is often wrong.
Overnine,what are you looking for,a sword fight?
Upstate...winter hands eh,how inventive:peaceful:

brownedout

I have worn Neumann receivers year-round since I began driving. Youth-L run about $18 a pair. I order 10 pair at once and wash them daily (they get WAY FUNKY). I also spray them inside with foot spray, especially in the summer. One pair lasts on average 2 or 3 weeks, but I get to keep my smooth girly hands.
Wow! I have not been able to locate Neumann's in forever. Their Extreme Weather (An extra wool layer over the regular glove) are still the best I have worn on these coldest days we've been experiencing already. Any ordering info especially online would be greatly appreciated.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Pssst! Hey Sleeve. Upstate just said that you "A-game" sucks!

Michael Jordans "A-Game" sucks in Upstates eyes, I work 100% year round and have no interest in working harder than that. To those that do work harder during peak, that to me indicates that they are not "working to the best of their ability" the other 11 months of the year.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Wow! I have not been able to locate Neumann's in forever. Their Extreme Weather (An extra wool layer over the regular glove) are still the best I have worn on these coldest days we've been experiencing already. Any ordering info especially online would be greatly appreciated.

Called winter gloves now. My husband swears by them. They don't come in my size. Looks like a good price from what I've seen, but you can check around.

Glad I looked! They have mine for $2 less than normal, free shipping. Merry Christmas to me!!!

For the third year in a row my center manager has planed extremely well. I in turn have declared him Master of peak. When I tell him this he says whatever and gets embarrassed. Deep down be knows I'm telling the truth. Credit where credit is due.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Michael Jordans "A-Game" sucks in Upstates eyes, I work 100% year round and have no interest in working harder than that. To those that do work harder during peak, that to me indicates that they are not "working to the best of their ability" the other 11 months of the year.

The work year is a marathon, not a sprint. Successful marathon runners know how to pace themselves so that they can complete the entire race. That way, when the finish line is drawing near, they have something left for a last final "kick". If they tried to maintain that speed for all 26.2 miles, they would break down.

I worked 59.4 hours last week and 58.7 the week before. I'm going flat out. There is no way I can keep that up all year, nor is there any reason I should even try.

brownedout

Called winter gloves now. My husband swears by them. They don't come in my size. Looks like a good price from what I've seen, but you can check around.

Glad I looked! They have mine for $2 less than normal, free shipping. Merry Christmas to me!!!

Thank You kindly hubrat

soberups

I spend about $5 on the wool, fingerless fishermans gloves. They are cheap, they keep my hands warm, and I can still write on delivery notes and use the DIAD while wearing them. It seldom gets any colder than the low 20's/upper teens here, so I dont need my fingertips covered. A pair will usually last for the 2 or 3 months that I might need them.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I spend about $5 on the wool, fingerless fishermans gloves. They are cheap, they keep my hands warm, and I can still write on delivery notes and use the DIAD while wearing them. It seldom gets any colder than the low 20's/upper teens here, so I dont need my fingertips covered. A pair will usually last for the 2 or 3 months that I might need them.

These are the only thing I have found that provide the protection I need and still allow me to work the DIAD and write ok. They are very snug. All of the cardboard dehydrates my skin and makes it painful. Probably most important for me is the tacky grip. That really helps out when size or strength is an issue.

I wear holes in the leather palms and finger tips in 2-3 weeks (no kidding with that firm grip!) They're pricey, but that's ok when it's about safety or protection!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The work year is a marathon, not a sprint. Successful marathon runners know how to pace themselves so that they can complete the entire race. That way, when the finish line is drawing near, they have something left for a last final "kick". If they tried to maintain that speed for all 26.2 miles, they would break down.

I worked 59.4 hours last week and 58.7 the week before. I'm going flat out. There is no way I can keep that up all year, nor is there any reason I should even try.

I understand when you start to age things change. ;)

kingOFchester

Tom feels as though he works 75% of his ability 11 months of the year and 100% the last month.
Dick feels as though he works 100% of his ability 12 months of the year but still does less work then Tom
Harry feels as though he works 75% of his ability 12 months of the year but still does more work then Tom and Dick.
Joe Blow feels as though he works 50% of his ability 12 months of the year and doesnt care he does less work then Tom, Dick and Harry.

Who cares? You are arguing/discussing over arbitrary work abilities or work ethics that can't be meassured. How about you work the way that works for you and let the dice fall where they fall

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Michael Jordan would bring his "A" game when the Bulls played the Celtics/Lakers/Spurs but would back off the gas when playing some of the lesser teams.

This is Peak--it is expected that we all kick it up a notch.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I know you like the sports metaphors but that one doesn't work. We all work one marathon a day and 100% performance should **automatically indicate a safe and efficient pace. Calling your year or collective working years a marathon should automatically assume one is not working beyond their means on a daily, hourly, minute-to-minute or whatever basis.

Basically, I go 100% all of the time and that is a safe and effective speed. Peak does not mean work harder, but like Jones said, work longer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know you like the sports metaphors but that one doesn't work. We all work one marathon a day and 100% performance should **automatically indicate a safe and efficient pace. Calling your year or collective working years a marathon should automatically assume one is not working beyond their means.

Each route has its own variables and it is up to the driver to work within those variables. For example, I cannot pick up my last drop box until 1800. If I work at a steady pace, assuming an average dispatch, I will have plenty of time to take my lunch and break and will still end up waiting for that box. If I work at 100% or more I would have more down time so I pace myself throughout the day. The ironic part is that I have this drop box because the driver for that area gets done too early.

During Peak most of us know that more is expected of us and we respond accordingly.

soberups

I know you like the sports metaphors but that one doesn't work. We all work one marathon a day and 100% performance should **automatically indicate a safe and efficient pace. Calling your year or collective working years a marathon should automatically assume one is not working beyond their means on a daily, hourly, minute-to-minute or whatever basis.

Basically, I go 100% all of the time and that is a safe and effective speed. Peak does not mean work harder, but like Jones said, work longer.

The rules and the expectations are different during peak season, just as they are in the NBA finals. The stakes are higher and the referees call the game differently.

No vacations, no optionals, no 8 hr requests, 9.5 language no longer applies, helpers are allowed on car. For a 3 week period our workload is essentially doubled.

I get what you are saying about giving 100% all year around, and I do the same thing. I give the company a "fair days work for a fair days pay" and perform my job "in a manner that best represents the interests of the employer" per Art 37 NMUPSA no matter what time of year it is.

During peak, however, the parameters change. A "fair days work" on my route usually means about 95 stops, which winds up taking 9.5 to 10 hours. Last week I was doing 180 stops and taking 12 hours. The pace that I am currently working at is not physically or mentally sustainable for 12 months out of the year, nor should it need to be.

When I first started, there were a lot of militant, pro-union drivers who would go ahead and skip their lunches and breaks for 2 or 3 weeks during peak. Once peak had ended, they would "get the time back" by taking an extra 5 or 10 minutes per day in January until they were "even" again. Management was aware of this and chose to look the other way. I'm not condoning the practice, but I understand the mentality behind it. Last year, I broke my toe on December 12th. Had it been any other time of year I would have sat in the office on TAW, but because it was peak I stayed on car and did the best that I could using a helper. In my opinion, that is the mentality that we should all adopt in December.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Same here, well almost. My heaviest time is from Feb to August. Thats when everyone orders tractor and harvester parts, temperature recorders, gloves, aprons, knives, scales, forms, paper and lots of other stuff for the growing season that runs from March through late November. But this Christmas is very heavy! A driver retired early and 2 more are out, (1 had a stroke last week)
Everyday is peak for me.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Amen!