Peaks over

vantexan

The less contact, the better. I never even beeped the horn. I came in like a ninja, not even the dogs knew I was there until I was back in the truck.
I was working anywhere from 11 p.m. to sometimes 3 a.m. in rural AZ. Was worried about getting my ass shot off.

vantexan

They did at one point but eventually forgot the importance of senior couriers.
When they tricked senior couriers into going into the PPP a year early instead of the next year where everyone was pushed into it but given extra money, "transition credits", was pretty much the point where everything changed for the worse. There were signs but that was the point where they signaled they were willing to screw everyone to get what they wanted.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When they tricked senior couriers into going into the PPP a year early instead of the next year where everyone was pushed into it but given extra money, "transition credits", was pretty much the point where everything changed for the worse. There were signs but that was the point where they signaled they were willing to screw everyone to get what they wanted.
They didn’t trick anyone. The people who fell for it weren’t smart enough to do their research. They were gullible and believed FedEx was looking out for their best interests. The rest of us figured out what was going on and didn’t fall for it.

vantexan

They didn’t trick anyone. The people who fell for it weren’t smart enough to do their research. They were gullible and believed FedEx was looking out for their best interests. The rest of us figured out what was going on and didn’t fall for it.
I stayed in the traditional because it was a better deal than the PPP. But I know senior couriers who already had their 25 years in the traditional who switched over. Had one tell me he lost over $12k not waiting for the transition credits. But that's not the point. The company was willing to put out material making the new plan sound great. At no point did they let on that everyone who didn't switch would be forced into it anyways but would be given extra money to soften the blow. They wanted to see how many people could be lured in so that they didn't have to pay the extra money. Sure, people shouldn't have trusted them. But imo it was at that point the company signaled they would do everything possible to hold pay and benefits down so that they could spend more on Ground infrastructure.

P.S. I have no problem with topped out couriers getting 3% raises. I have a problem with midrange only getting 2% while telling us you just hang in there, better pay is right around the corner. And I worked in enough stations around the country to know mgrs were being told to lie to us.

yadig

You'd be amazed at how many times I had people who did that tell me that it was a vital customer service skill that our customers loved. Equally amazing was the look on their faces when you told them that 95% of the time the customer is the shipper and the shipper doesn't care if you drop and go or if you stand there all day.
The customer service is gonna get worse.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Exactly. If not for the old timers, who would knock on a door for a resi delivery and wait 2 minutes for the recipient to answer in order to hand him a package that requires no signature???? That's a valuable skill that this company desperately needs more of.
Ironically enough, that’s exactly what we were instructed to do when NSR first came out. And you were displeased because they weren’t insubordinate? Says a lot about you!

Mutineer

The less contact, the better. I never even beeped the horn. I came in like a ninja, not even the dogs knew I was there until I was back in the truck.

It didn't take me long at all to figure that sad truth out.

The reward for being a delivery ninja is an immediate 75% drop in negative dog and recipient encounters.

Out of sight, out of mind. If they don't see or hear you, it's alot more difficult for people to complain about you.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
It didn't take me long at all to figure that sad truth out.

The reward for being a delivery ninja is an immediate 75% drop in negative dog and recipient encounters.

Out of sight, out of mind. If they don't see or hear you, it's alot more difficult for people to complain about you.
Exactly.

Mutineer

For a while, I naively believed the lie that I was a "business owner" as a contractor for FedEx. What changed my perception of that was when I realized that If I truly had been a "business owner" there were more than a few recipients that were so disrespectful, demanding, or borderline dangerous (druggies, drunks, crazies) that I simply would have kicked their boxes off of my van at the terminal and refused to service them.

At any convenience store or fast-food franchise there is a little sign that sez something like: "we reserve the right to refuse service."

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Darwinian capitalism. Let's put all the senior couriers on icebergs and push them out to sea.
And just the other day you were whining that we should let you have OT because you were broke when senior couriers weren't getting 40 hours. So I offer van capitalism: just like regular capitalism, but with numerous anti-capitalist exceptions when they would benefit van.

59 Dano

They did at one point but eventually forgot the importance of senior couriers.
I ask this sincerely. What is the big benefit of senior couriers? I've never seen a station fall apart because of senior courier attrition. I've never seen a station make any meaningful improvement when they had an increase in the senior courier ratio from transfers. My personal experience with them is that they don't offer much more than anyone else who has been with the company for a couple of years. They don't bring anything different to the party when it comes to safety, productivity, or service.

It's not just the direct experience, it's on the broader scale as well. There isn't any measurable quality that shows older couriers as more advanced than younger ones.

59 Dano

Ironically enough, that’s exactly what we were instructed to do when NSR first came out. And you were displeased because they weren’t insubordinate? Says a lot about you!
I'm displeased because it was a dumb idea and leave it to the senior couriers to think it should still be done!