Peaks over

vantexan

And just the other day you were whining that we should let you have OT because you were broke when senior couriers weren't getting 40 hours. So I offer van capitalism: just like regular capitalism, but with numerous anti-capitalist exceptions when they would benefit van.
Yah, you have no problem with telling couriers year over year that better money is coming soon while giving 2% raises, or no raise, and midrange falls further and further behind. You have no problem getting rid of senior couriers who no longer perform like they're 25 and they get paid more.

And benefit me? How about tens of thousands of couriers your management team lied to and screwed? You must be so proud.

vantexan

I ask this sincerely. What is the big benefit of senior couriers? I've never seen a station fall apart because of senior courier attrition. I've never seen a station make any meaningful improvement when they had an increase in the senior courier ratio from transfers. My personal experience with them is that they don't offer much more than anyone else who has been with the company for a couple of years. They don't bring anything different to the party when it comes to safety, productivity, or service.

It's not just the direct experience, it's on the broader scale as well. There isn't any measurable quality that shows older couriers as more advanced than younger ones.
The difference schmuck is the senior couriers are the ones who stuck with it. Costs the company real money to hire and train. And high turnover means paying more OT to get the work done. Appreciate your senior couriers. They make your job possible.

vantexan

And just the other day you were whining that we should let you have OT because you were broke when senior couriers weren't getting 40 hours. So I offer van capitalism: just like regular capitalism, but with numerous anti-capitalist exceptions when they would benefit van.
Me at 15hr getting 43 hrs: $667.50 gross.
Top out at $21hr on 37 hrs: $777.00 gross.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yah, you have no problem with telling couriers year over year that better money is coming soon while giving 2% raises, or no raise, and midrange falls further and further behind. You have no problem getting rid of senior couriers who no longer perform like they're 25 and they get paid more.

And benefit me? How about tens of thousands of couriers your management team lied to and screwed? You must be so proud.
Everything always boils down to a manager fed you whatever nonsense he was fed, you made a bunch of dumb decisions, and FedEx owes you because of it even though you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else who responded with the series of spectacular bad choices you made.

vantexan

Everything always boils down to a manager fed you whatever nonsense he was fed, you made a bunch of dumb decisions, and FedEx owes you because of it even though you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else who responded with the series of spectacular bad choices you made.
Yah, no one else was screwed over but me. Just being a courier is a bad decision in your view apparently. You defend a company that lied to its workforce for decades. Looks like the plan was to get to the point of contractors with low paid no benefit workers all along. Wasn't my bad decision to strip us of our benefits. Wasn't my bad decision to screw couriers on their pensions. Yet there you are, defending the Darwinian capitalism until the bitter end. You must be so proud.

59 Dano

The difference schmuck is the senior couriers are the ones who stuck with it. Costs the company real money to hire and train. And high turnover means paying more OT to get the work done.
Van immediately follows up with:
Me at 15hr getting 43 hrs: $667.50 gross.
Top out at $21hr on 37 hrs: $777.00 gross.
...and has the nerve to call someone else a schmuck.

59 Dano

Yah, no one else was screwed over but me. Just being a courier is a bad decision in your view apparently. You defend a company that lied to its workforce for decades. Looks like the plan was to get to the point of contractors with low paid no benefit workers all along. Wasn't my bad decision to strip us of our benefits. Wasn't my bad decision to screw couriers on their pensions. Yet there you are, defending the Darwinian capitalism until the bitter end. You must be so proud.
I don't know, van. I started out as a courier. Jumped through the hoops, took advantage of opportunities. Others liked being couriers and stayed with that. I've never met or read posts from online anyone who has the issues with the company that you have. No one. Maybe quitting and coming back every other year had something to do with it.

vantexan

I don't know, van. I started out as a courier. Jumped through the hoops, took advantage of opportunities. Others liked being couriers and stayed with that. I've never met or read posts from online anyone who has the issues with the company that you have. No one. Maybe quitting and coming back every other year had something to do with it.
Quit twice. Typical mgr, have to lie to bolster your argument. What you don't like is that I point out how dishonest FedEx is. And there's a reason I post more about it than others. Most couriers work at one station. The mgrs are FedEx for them. Don't know that mgrs in other stations are telling newhires for many years that they'll top out in 7-8 years. I got to experience just how corrupt many mgrs are in many stations. Imagine having mgrs tell you that there's a national hiring freeze and I can't transfer. Only mgrs and swings were being allowed to. Then I look at JCATS and see not only are FT courier positions being posted nationwide but my senior has 2 of them at our sister station. I filed a GFT and it was amazing how fast the hiring freeze got lifted and the senior mgr was begging me to withdraw my GFT. Somehow mysteriously I was number one for a FT courier opening in a station in our district and that job was mysteriously rescinded and the hiring mgr complained to me on the phone that he had a position he needed filled but now couldn't unless I withdrew. And the HR rep was very forcefully telling me on the phone not to file a GFT over it. I've got a lot of stories because when a job is posted nationally it's often one that no one would touch locally and the mgr will tell you anything to get you to take it. Your company is corrupt to the core and you proudly defend it.

59 Dano

See, with those hours I make just shy of $100 a week less
But you said that paying you $100 a week less would cost the company more.

and you think it's ok to take from me and give to a topped out courier.
I don't have a problem with it. They don't dole out stops based on your socioeconomic status.

In one post, you're saying that topped out couriers are better and more efficient than newer employees. In the next, you're saying that they should take work away from topped out couriers and give it to people who don't make as much. Amazing.

59 Dano

Quit twice. Typical mgr, have to lie to bolster your argument. What you don't like is I that I point out how dishonest FedEx is.
Oh, OK. You only quit twice. That completely alters the context! And FedEx is so dishonest that you quit twice, only to come back after each quit.

And there's a reason I post more about it than others. Most couriers work at one station. The mgrs are FedEx for them. Don't know that mgrs in other stations are telling newhires for many years that they'll top out in 7-8 years. I got to experience just how corrupt many mgrs are in many stations. Imagine having mgrs tell you that there's a national hiring freeze and I can't transfer. Only mgrs and swings were being allowed to. Then I look at JCATS and see not only are FT courier positions being posted nationwide but my senior has 2 of them at our sister station. I filed a GFT and it was amazing how fast the hiring freeze got listed and the senior mgr was begging me to withdraw my GFT. Somehow mysteriously I was number one for a FT courier opening in a station in our district and that job was mysteriously rescinded the hiring mud complained to me on the phone that he had a position he needed filled but now couldn't unless I withdrew. And the HR rep was very forcefully telling me on the phone not to file a GFT over it. I've got a lot of stories because when a job is posted nationally it's often one that no one would touch locally and the mgr will tell you anything to get you to take it. Your company is corrupt to the core and you proudly defend it.

The company is so corrupt that I've never, ever, ever, EVER known anyone to have had all the problems that you claim to have had. Not a single soul.

vantexan

But you said that paying you $100 a week less would cost the company more.

I don't have a problem with it. They don't dole out stops based on your socioeconomic status.

In one post, you're saying that topped out couriers are better and more efficient than newer employees. In the next, you're saying that they should take work away from topped out couriers and give it to people who don't make as much. Amazing.
The engineers create route boundaries. The vast majority of mgrs don't go through your stops and tell you give that one to the next guy over. Micromanagement to the Nth degree.

Please remind me where I said paying me $100 less would cost the company more? My point was they're taking from me because it was more important to them to reduce OT than that the topped out courier gets paid more already and that's unfair to me.

59 Dano

The engineers create route boundaries. The vast majority of mgrs don't go through your stops and tell you give that one to the next guy over. Micromanagement to the Nth degree.
But you said stops should be given out based on a courier's financial status. That's even more micromanaging, and you support it (because it benefits you). Your manager, who you claim was awesome, is tasked with controlling OT. And she did.

As usual, it boils down to what benefits you.
Please remind me where I said paying me $100 less would cost the company more?
You said that turnover involving senior couriers means paying more to get the job done. You, with 3 hours of OT, were making less than a senior courier with no OT.

vantexan

But you said stops should be given out based on a courier's financial status. That's even more micromanaging, and you support it (because it benefits you). Your manager, who you claim was awesome, is tasked with controlling OT. And she did.

As usual, it boils down to what benefits you.

You said that turnover involving senior couriers means paying more to get the job done. You, with 3 hours of OT, were making less than a senior courier with no OT.
I did not say that. I said it was my stop on my route and taking away from me to give to a courier who's making more than I did, especially when I was struggling on my pay because of midrange pay policies, was very unfair. I even volunteered on Saturdays to get that 42-44 hrs a week and the topped out guys never did.

And if the company drove off the topped out senior couriers they would have even more turnover than they have now so yes they would be paying midrange couriers more OT than now. So they gave 3% raises to keep them happy. 3% on higher pay results in much larger raises than 2% on lower pay. And top out kept getting further away from 10+ year employees while newhire pay wasn't far behind. The senior couriers would retire soon enough while the rest of us were bunching up way behind them in pay. How dare I point this out.

vantexan

Oh, OK. You only quit twice. That completely alters the context! And FedEx is so dishonest that you quit twice, only to come back after each quit.

The company is so corrupt that I've never, ever, ever, EVER known anyone to have had all the problems that you claim to have had. Not a single soul.
I put up with a lot to get this pension. A pension that was cut short by.a corrupt, dishonest company. You must be so proud.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I ask this sincerely. What is the big benefit of senior couriers? I've never seen a station fall apart because of senior courier attrition. I've never seen a station make any meaningful improvement when they had an increase in the senior courier ratio from transfers. My personal experience with them is that they don't offer much more than anyone else who has been with the company for a couple of years. They don't bring anything different to the party when it comes to safety, productivity, or service.

It's not just the direct experience, it's on the broader scale as well. There isn't any measurable quality that shows older couriers as more advanced than younger ones.
1. Area knowledge.
2. More likely to have ability to change and adapt as needed.
3. Take attendance and punctuality more seriously.
4. Better at teamwork.
5. Better at customer service having practiced it for many years.
6. More dedicated to the success of the company as a whole.
7. More likely to follow the rules rather than think the rules are just suggestions.

I’ll have to think of some more. Those were the few that immediately popped in my head.

MAKAVELI

For a while, I naively believed the lie that I was a "business owner" as a contractor for FedEx. What changed my perception of that was when I realized that If I truly had been a "business owner" there were more than a few recipients that were so disrespectful, demanding, or borderline dangerous (druggies, drunks, crazies) that I simply would have kicked their boxes off of my van at the terminal and refused to service them.

At any convenience store or fast-food franchise there is a little sign that sez something like: "we reserve the right to refuse service."
And as a true FedEx employee you'd have that discretion, full stop.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Exactly. If not for the old timers, who would knock on a door for a resi delivery and wait 2 minutes for the recipient to answer in order to hand him a package that requires no signature???? That's a valuable skill that this company desperately needs more of.
Or how about your job that crunches meaningless numbers which in reality doesn't mean jack:censored2: in the real world.