Peaks over

Mutineer

1. Area knowledge.
Although in some circumstances area knowledge is vital, that is not nearly as relevant as it used to be.
2. More likely to have ability to change and adapt as needed.
For the lower echelons of any company, change is very often just another word for making simple things difficult.
3. Take attendance and punctuality more seriously.
Senior employees would not have made it to "senior" if that trait was lacking early in their career.
4. Better at teamwork.
If a senior employee is sharing work related wisdom or knowledge with a junior coworker, that senior employee is a fool or has a motive not related to the good of the company.
5. Better at customer service having practiced it for many years.
Better at telling the customer outrageous lies with a straight face.
6. More dedicated to the success of the company as a whole.
Only in the town of Mayberry.
7. More likely to follow the rules rather than think the rules are just suggestions.
Knows the rules that can be broken or circumvented. Has very good lies ready to be recited in advance of being challenged.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
1. Area knowledge.
4. Better at teamwork.
7. More likely to follow the rules rather than think the rules are just suggestions.

I’ll have to think of some more. Those were the few that immediately popped in my head.

Even assuming that all of that is true (it's not), we're still stuck with the fact that they don't offer anything in terms of making service, productivity, or hitting safety targets than anyone else. But they are the glue that holds the company together!!!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Even assuming that all of that is true (it's not), we're still stuck with the fact that they don't offer anything in terms of making service, productivity, or hitting safety targets than anyone else. But they are the glue that holds the company together!!!
#1 reason senior employees are more valuable (and why you constantly deride them):

Stations with a majority senior employees can and do continue to function efficiently with management absent.

59 Dano

#1 reason senior employees are more valuable (and why you constantly deride them):

Stations with a majority senior employees can and do continue to function efficiently with management absent.
No more or less so than a station without a majority of senior employees.

vantexan

Sigh, let's go over this once again. New employees have very high turnover because they soon realize they were told BS by their mgrs concerning their future with the company. The senior employees topped out long ago and have something to make a life with income wise. They've stuck with it through thick and thin. The company would certainly save on payroll with newer employees, but everything would be in a constant uproar with newbies quitting all the time. Service would suffer. Is that worth it to the company? But hey, turn it over to contractors and let it be their headache.

59 Dano

Sigh, let's go over this once again. New employees have very high turnover because they soon realize they were told BS by their mgrs concerning their future with the company. The senior employees topped out long ago and have something to make a life with income wise. They've stuck with it through thick and thin. The company would certainly save on payroll with newer employees, but everything would be in a constant uproar with newbies quitting all the time. Service would suffer. Is that worth it to the company? But hey, turn it over to contractors and let it be their headache.
Newer hires in any occupation are more prone to turnover.

Mutineer

I also want to believe that mature, seasoned, dedicated, loyal, experienced native born American citizens are a benefit to any company which keeps them around.

With advances in technology, I don't believe those things matter so much anymore in the Box-Donkey occupation. And very many others.

AI has evolved to the point that the really smart college educated brainiacs and office management weenies are alot less secure in their jobs also. The term "disruptive technology" comes to mind.

Supposedly some politician signed a paper which is intended to regulate AI so the smart people don't lose their jobs like so many uneducated, blue-collar stooges have for the past few decades.

With a grin and an eyeroll, I have no doubt that AI will be regulated and controlled exactly the same as other occupational threats: such as outsourcing, work visas, and our southern border.

vantexan

I also want to believe that mature, seasoned, dedicated, loyal, experienced native born American citizens are a benefit to any company which keeps them around.

With advances in technology, I don't believe those things matter so much anymore in the Box-Donkey occupation. And very many others.

AI has evolved to the point that the really smart college educated brainiacs and office management weenies are alot less secure in their jobs also. The term "disruptive technology" comes to mind.

Supposedly some politician signed a paper which is intended to regulate AI so the smart people don't lose their jobs like so many uneducated, blue-collar stooges have for the past few decades.

With a grin and an eyeroll, I have no doubt that AI will be regulated and controlled exactly the same as other occupational threats: such as outsourcing, work visas, and our southern border.
I think that's what the company is counting on with a simplified job. Just plug in a body. But people want a future. What I found with the job being streamlined and Ground taking box freight that, while the job was easier to do, the company made up the time savings by putting more stops on less people. So people are weighing whether they want to hustle all the time for low pay and minimal benefits, or look for something less demanding. There's enough turnover to say plenty realize it's a dead end job and they aren't willing to kill themselves for a company that paints a rosy picture but doesn't deliver.

Aquaman

Newer hires in any occupation are more prone to turnover.
A company like FedEx shouldn’t look down on any of its positions. But it does. Are you going to go deliver boxes? Upper management genuinely believes the hourly positions are meant for morons. The disrespect is and always has been a major problem. I honestly believe that’s what seperates the company from its competitors.

Flaco50

1. Area knowledge.
4. Better at teamwork.

I’ll have to think of some more. Those were the few that immediately popped in my head.
There's a lot of accidents where I'm at-primarily couriers with less than 3 years on the job taking 25K out of station budget each time...so add safe work methods to your list

Flaco50

incorrect on safety targets....accidents or injuries...

59 Dano

You would be correct.

59 Dano

But less so for those hired by an honest business that values it’s employees.

Something FedEx doesn’t offer anymore.

You have revealed that fact.
LOL, no.

New hires are skewed by a demographic that's younger and typically entering an industry for the first time. The have the ability to job hop without much of a problem as they try to find whatever it is that they want.

59 Dano

A company like FedEx shouldn’t look down on any of its positions. But it does. Are you going to go deliver boxes?
Nope.

Upper management genuinely believes the hourly positions are meant for morons.
Why, I heard just the other day that upper management had a meeting to make sure everyone knew that hourly positions are meant for morons. See, a couple upper management types had recommended hourly jobs to a couple of fairly bright people. It nearly threw then entire domestic ops out of whack.

vantexan

What does that have to do with an issue that's common to just about any and every company?
Because FedEx has put itself out as a great place to work with a future for decades. Name a major company with similar stats doing what FedEx has done to their employees?