Peaks over

MassWineGuy

Not saying your statements aren’t accurate. But where I am it doesn’t seem to be that way re: mgrs resenting senior couriers. Ops mgmt is pretty good. It’s the senior manager whom, imho, thinks we’re not bright and are stealing something every chance we get.

vantexan

Not saying your statements aren’t accurate. But where I am it doesn’t seem to be that way re: mgrs resenting senior couriers. Ops mgmt is pretty good. It’s the senior manager whom, imho, thinks we’re not bright and are stealing something every chance we get.
That's fair. Have seen both. And some who treated us well. I just don't buy into the attitude that we're all little simpletons who must be held by the hand by obviously superior mgrs. Comes across here loud and clear by some.

Aquaman

You've made repeated negative comments about senior employees, as well as the intelligence and overall sophistication of average employees. More of the "I'm superior because I'm in management" BS. Seems important to you. Anytime I give examples of my personal experience with FedEx management it's just to demonstrate what a bunch of crooks most managers are. You must be very proud.
Most average hourly employees could do what an ops manager does. But still… it’s hard for people in upper positions to not develop a snobby attitude. I don’t think the courier job is difficult. But I still believe a good, consistent courier can cause a company to leave their shipping account on auto-pilot indefinitely.

vantexan

Most average hourly employees could do what an ops manager does. But still… it’s hard for people in upper positions to not develop a snobby attitude. I don’t think the courier job is difficult. But I still believe a good, consistent courier can cause a company to leave their shipping account on auto-pilot indefinitely.
Don't know how many years you've put in but there was a time when we drove the biggest step vans, loaded with box freight. Had to write up airbills including international and checking haz for accuracy, plus depending on the station work both the morning sort and reload, hump all day to meet deadlines throughout the day. The job has definitely been streamlined. And I worked for some really great managers over the years. And I've worked for crooks. Someone like Dano likes to defend such mgrs, suggesting that as simple couriers we just don't understand how things work and it's really our shortcomings, not what the mgr is doing. Considering what the company has done in the last 20 or so years what it ultimately comes down to is we are just here to be used for their benefit. Take what they dole out and like it. I'm glad I left in 2017, but it very much still affects me after giving most of my adult life to the company. Sorry for the diatribe but there are people here whose skin I've got to get under. :)

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Ever done a bill of lading pickup at a major government shipper?

As the job of courier has been simplified, the qualifications for hire have been reduced.

The result is the CF we now have.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Depends on what is defined as an acceptable level. Senior couriers do just fine, but mgrs resent that they get paid more than new couriers. It's about nothing but money. And the one sided view of employees by management that employees must always be honest and loyal to the company, but management doesn't feel a responsibility to return the same.
I asked what you happens anywhere else when an employee can't perform at an acceptable level. Can you give a reasonable answer without wavering and jumping on your soapbox to continue your never-ending sob story?

59 Dano

You've made repeated negative comments about senior employees, as well as the intelligence and overall sophistication of average employees.
My comments about the sophistication and intelligence of average employees is that both traits are (wait for it) -------- average!

More of the "I'm superior because I'm in management" BS. Seems important to you.
Missed the posts where I said that just about anyone can take on advanced work, which pays much better, and do it well, did ya?

Anytime I give examples of my personal experience with FedEx management it's just to demonstrate what a bunch of crooks most managers are. You must be very proud.
I don't hear anyone else whine like you do.

vantexan

My comments about the sophistication and intelligence of average employees is that both traits are (wait for it) -------- average!

Missed the posts where I said that just about anyone can take on advanced work, which pays much better, and do it well, did ya?

I don't hear anyone else whine like you do.
Did I strike a nerve?

59 Dano

Most average hourly employees could do what an ops manager does. But still… it’s hard for people in upper positions to not develop a snobby attitude.
I agree with you about most average couriers. It's a shame that they don't have the drive, motivation, sense of accountability, and so forth to do it. That's why they're average.

vantexan

I agree with you about most average couriers. It's a shame that they don't have the drive, motivation, sense of accountability, and so forth to do it. That's why they're average.
Or it could be that there's more to life than living for the company. A lot of couriers have outside interests they pursue. They don't want to live and breathe FedEx 24/7. And for a lot of mgrs if a courier doesn't want to commit to the company like they have then that courier is a loser. Either that or one of his clique who strokes his ego to get better treatment. Some mgrs live for that. And yes I have heard mgrs say that about couriers. Losers who don't want to achieve like the mgr does.

yadig

The pay is below average. What do you expect to attract? Just look at the titans if you need an example.

NC man

yes I have heard mgrs say that about couriers. Losers who don't want to achieve like the mgr does.

drove for 33 years and after seeing what mgrs have to deal with starting at 5am I never wanted to move into. mgmt .when I clocked out I did not have to deal with anything Fedex and that was ok with me.

Gone fishin

yes I have heard mgrs say that about couriers. Losers who don't want to achieve like the mgr does.

drove for 33 years and after seeing what mgrs have to deal with starting at 5am I never wanted to move into. mgmt .when I clocked out I did not have to deal with anything Fedex and that was ok with me.
They asked me to go into management and I said I couldn’t dumb myself down that much. Thanks tho

59 Dano

Or it could be that there's more to life than living for the company. A lot of couriers have outside interests they pursue. They don't want to live and breathe FedEx 24/7. And for a lot of mgrs if a courier doesn't want to commit to the company like they have then that courier is a loser. Either that or one of his clique who strokes his ego to get better treatment. Some mgrs live for that. And yes I have heard mgrs say that about couriers. Losers who don't want to achieve like the mgr does.
The average courier just wants to be left alone. Not a good fit for leadership.

59 Dano

The pay is below average. What do you expect to attract? Just look at the titans if you need an example.
Made Taylor Lewan the highest paid offensive lineman in history. Made Kevin Byard the highest paid safety in history. Paid Julio Jones $15 million for a season. Signed Deandre Hopkins to a 2 year, $26 million contract. Signed Bud Dupree to a 5 year, $82 million contract. Signed Jadeveon Clowney to a $13 million contract.

That's why they lost the most games in the NFL in the last 5 years. Won't pay anyone.

yadig

Made Taylor Lewan the highest paid offensive lineman in history. Made Kevin Byard the highest paid safety in history. Paid Julio Jones $15 million for a season. Signed Deandre Hopkins to a 2 year, $26 million contract. Signed Bud Dupree to a 5 year, $82 million contract. Signed Jadeveon Clowney to a $13 million contract.

That's why they lost the most games in the NFL in the last 5 years. Won't pay anyone.
Let’s discuss the present team. Federal express use to take care of it’s employees with a traditional pension, excellent health insurance, top out in 18 mos, etc,,