People really don't realize what their packages actually go through...

Its always funny when a customer babies a package like that and the first thing they see you do is set it on its side on your shelf. Its as if they expect it to never go down slides and conveyor belts and you will cradle it yourself the whole way to its destination.

The funny thing is someone who will tell you how an item is the last remaining heirloom from an ancestor who walked barefoot from the old country and it's worth more than life itself..........as they hand it to you in an old worn out ream paper box held together with one piece of scotch tape because they were too cheap to pay for real packaging.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
You can RTS pkgs left in drop boxes if they are not properly packed.
I was referring to a package that didn't have a proper label. What would we do? Mail it back to them if they happened to put their address on it? Or what if they didn't even have that on it?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You can't say that if it's already in a drop box.
You can RTS pkgs left in drop boxes if they are not properly packed.

The package I previously talked about in post#7 was on my driver seat the next day. I brought it back to the office and said I can't deliver it, let alone driver release it because it's in a bad apartment complex. The OMS said there was no way to contact her so luckily we peeled off the tape and found the old Chegg label with her phone number on it.

browniehound

And the way I often see things packaged says this more than anything. But I got a buddy who works somewhere that accepts UPS drop-offs, and he recently showed me a picture of something someone left. I had to shake my head in disbelief.

Yeah. That's notebook paper and a few pieces of tape.View attachment 13240

Our everyday customers know what their packages go through because they receive the beat-up, half-opened, re-wrapped packaged everyday. Its the people who only use us to return something or ship something to their mother that have no clue.

They think we're the post office. They have to be thinking that way because nobody can be that ignorant. They think to themselves: "my mail gets to me in 1 piece so wrapping my package in a paper bag or notebook paper will be just fine".

Recently, I placed an amazon package that was about 12x8x36in next to a customer's door and stood in up on the 12x8 side because it was raining and if I placed it on the 36x12 side I would have blocked him and he wouldn't be able to open his door.

Anyway, as I was walking back to the truck the wind blew it over. I get to the truck and I hear him yell: "hey, that's fragile!" Now at about 30 yards away I wave and say "Your welcome!" with a smile and pretending I didn't hear him clearly. I did this because, let's face it, if your package can't survive a gentle knock to the ground by the wind it shouldn't be in the UPS system.

Quick aside here. When I was in 5th grade we had this project called "Egg-or-Not" in which we had to devise a protection scheme for an egg that was dropped from the roof of the school. 90% of the class successfully dropped their eggs without breaking.

This is how customers have to pack their stuff.