phoenix and austin tx hubs

kcap28

Anybody on here work at the hub in phoenix or one in austin tx? Thinking of transferring/moving to one of the two. how many shifts? hours? lot of people waiting to drive? etc...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You can't transfer. Exceptions are made for educational opportunities -- this means you're currently enrolled in school and can successfully demonstrate an educational opportunity (educational transfers are VERY difficult). If you do receive an educational transfer, your seniority is end-tailed -- that means you'll be starting over in terms of obtaining FT opportunities. This is done because it was expected that once you transferred, you would graduate and get on with your life.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I've known a few people who made educational transfers to Phoenix in the past that weren't that difficult. They have a Day, Twilight, Night, Midnight & Preload sort in Phoenix so plenty of opportunity (tuition reimbursement for Night). They just had an orientation on Monday for hub workers so it looks like they are hiring. I'm not sure about the time to drive here but I don't think it's very long. Usually it's hovered around 3-5 years in the past.

There is also the Gateway, Tempe hub, Mesa & Estrella extended centers.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I should clarify: if you're currently enrolled in school & making progress toward a degree, the educational transfer process should go smooth provided you have a convincing reason as to why you'd like to complete your education (or pursue a graduate degree) elsewhere.

But in the OP's case -- six year UPS employee, no previous college experience (per his blog postings) -- an educational transfer will be very difficult, and probably unrealistic. To pull it off, he'd have to enroll in college locally and make sufficient progress toward a degree (~40 credits, which is about 3 classes per semester for two years). Obviously a huge financial & time commitment, especially for someone with FT driving (re: not school) aspirations.

It's a big misnomer on these forums that one merely needs to register for community college classes in order to qualify for an educational transfer. If you're attempting to pull one off for the sole purpose of manipulating a relocation, it's incredibly difficult

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I should clarify: if you're currently enrolled in school & making progress toward a degree, the educational transfer process should go smooth provided you have a convincing reason as to why you'd like to complete your education (or pursue a graduate degree) elsewhere.

But in the OP's case -- six year UPS employee, no previous college experience (per his blog postings) -- an educational transfer will be very difficult, and probably unrealistic. To pull it off, he'd have to enroll in college locally and make sufficient progress toward a degree (~40 credits, which is about 3 classes per semester for two years). Obviously a huge financial & time commitment, especially for someone with FT driving (re: not school) aspirations.

It's a big misnomer on these forums that one merely needs to register for community college classes in order to qualify for an educational transfer. If you're attempting to pull one off for the sole purpose of manipulating a relocation, it's incredibly difficult
Congratulations, you have now officially become the " resident-know-it-all" on bc. Upstate did a stellar job, and you have big shoes to fill but I know you can do it...we are all counting on you!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Congratulations, you have now officially become the " resident-know-it-all" on bc. Upstate did a stellar job, and you have big shoes to fill but I know you can do it...we are all counting on you!

Do you have any suggestions or facts that dispute my remarks?

pretender

You must have missed this previous thread:

Why am I not surprised...

The article is two years old, and premiums have dropped sharply since.

I don't know? If you're implying I'm a drunk, I'll remind you (it's posted above) that I've never been drunk in my life, and will take a can of Coke over a bottle of beer any day. But I do enjoy a glass of wine with my meal.

I was implying that you are a know-it-all.

Is there room on this forum for two know-it-alls?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Do you have any suggestions or facts that dispute my remarks?
no need to get all bent out of shape about it...it wasnt meant as a slam...just a general remark from some of the posts i have read. you seem to be the authority on educational transfers on here..among other things...not a big deal sorry i hurt your feelings

pretender

I agree there is no need to get bent out of shape and give me Negative Rep... Coldworld referred to Upstate as being the former resident expert, and it brought to mind a previous thread that I thought was humorous--At least Dave embraced his title.