Phoning before delivery

Oldfart

You basically accused the man of being a smuggler. Check the definition of those big words you try to use before you use them.
Smuggling? Exaggerate like this very often. Where did I accuse him of anything except not knowing how the time card works and wanting to call a lawyer too often.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Smuggling? Exaggerate like this very often. Where did I accuse him of anything except not knowing how the time card works and wanting to call a lawyer too often.
Might want to consult an attorney before you try to hide any contraband in your car.
Instead of suggesting he is a thief, by using the word contraband you are calling him a smuggler. Look it up.

Attacking someone who disagrees with you by accusing them of unsubstantiated acts is the mark of a schoolyard bully and shows a complete lack of character on your part.

Oldfart

Instead of suggesting he is a thief, by using the word contraband you are calling him a smuggler. Look it up.

Attacking someone who disagrees with you by accusing them of unsubstantiated acts is the mark of a schoolyard bully and shows a complete lack of character on your part.
Someone who disagrees is describing an opinion. Tupac isn't disagreeing, He keeps stating what he call facts that are just WRONG. Not sure about legal searches of your car, but his time keeping FACTS were 100% incorrect, yet he kept calling me names and posting the same junk time after time. Smuggler? I can think of a lot of things Tupac is but I don't believe a smuggler is 1 of them.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So you know the facts in EVERY instance where a courier had a wreck?

No, but we're not talking about wrecks.

So if we had a courier make what the customer considered harassing phone calls and complained to management, you know EVERY fact from the investigation?

Nope. I know, in great detail, how much of the investigation will unfold. For instance, what will be asked of the customer and how things will proceed based on his answers. The credibility of a complaint of this nature can usually be ascertained within five minutes.

59 Dano

It is hard to take someone serious that tells others who have actually seen a certain occurrence take place that they are mistaken. Basically calling them a liar.

No, I'm calling you misinformed. Big difference.

Then he claims to be up to date in the field of law. Who on here ever said they knew law. I just stated I knew from experience that phone records can and will be used when accidents or complaints were involved and this genius tells me I am wrong.

No I didn't. Never said that phone records can't be used in accidents or complaints. I said the opposite. Try and keep up.

I have several coworkers and a family member that it happened to, so I have seen it happen. He can dispute it all he wants, but he is just wrong.

I can't trust your reading comprehension when my posts are right there in front of you, why should I trust your memory?

59 Dano

Even if you have nothing to hide?

I probably wouldn't in most cases. If I'm dealing with someone that I have a great deal of professional and personal respect for, and have a strong professional and personal relationship with, I'd probably do it. I would ALWAYS advise against it and all other instances.

You can go out of your way (which you're not obligated to do) to prove yourself innocent or you can let the investigation do it for you. Let them prove your innocence; they can't deny their own findings. It also prevents you from saying or doing something that would give them reason to doubt you. Seemingly inconsequential things can raise eyebrows.

59 Dano

We have 4 gates at our station. All 4 have signs about no tailgating and that vehicles are subject to search. Our lockers in the bathroom have a similar sign as well. I do know we had a handler stealing packages a while back and I saw security looking in her car. No idea if it was legal but I would imagine they would know for sure before they initiated the search. I am sure Dano can give us the exact legal ramifications.

Depends on several things.

59 Dano

What makes you think FedEx doesn't have to follow the law regarding search and seizure just because your car is parked on their property? The Fourth Amendment doesn't end on commercial property.

The 4th Amendment doesn't apply to your employer. It applies to the government. In some instances your employer may be able to search your car. In most, it doesn't.

59 Dano

Best I can find, basically if the company has an clearly established policy(a sign is not a policy) they might be in the clear, although there is a "reasonable expectation of privacy"
Workplace Searches - Workplace Fairness

As far as vehicle searches, since a large portion of FedEx stations are located on Leased Property, technically FedEx doesn't own some of the properties so there is a bit of grey area when it comes to that. I suppose you could park on the street if you are worried about searches.

Leased property is treated the same as owned property as far as this issue is concerned. But you're right, they have no rights under any circumstances if you park elsewhere.

59 Dano

When it comes to personal vehicles, no they do not have the authority, regardless of their policy. I would recommend the opposite. Deny them access to your vehicle and if they fire you, sue them. The law is on your side and the burden is on them to prove they had probable cause.

If you have signed anything at any time granting them anything resembling permission to search your car or acknowledging that it is their policy, then yes, they have that right.

59 Dano

Offsite parking came into play recently with one of my coworkers. He was going hunting after work and had his rifle in the truck. He had to park next door due to the firearms on property rule.

The rule can't be enforced in some states. Law supersedes it.

59 Dano

If the sign is posted then you are agreeing to the terms when you enter their property. If you don't like it, park down the street.

It's more of a deterrent than anything. Words on a sign are just words on a sign. A friend had his car damaged after a rock from a quarry truck fell off the truck and bounced up and hit his car. Quarry company said that they have signs on all their trucks stating that they aren't responsible for objects coming from the road. He said that he had a sign on his car saying that they are.

dvalleyjim

Against the rules at our station. Just wait till a customer accuses a courier of harassment and when phone records are pulled and they found out the courier did indeed call the customer. It will be customer vs courier. NOT worth the headache.
See, You express guys have a good job to worry about all this. I'm home delivery and don't care, it's not that good of a job. I'll just quit.

dvalleyjim

Sorry Dano. Seems like you actually don't know everything. I have seen this scenario happen on several occasions.

The DOT or State can and will get your records in the case of an accident to see what activity was going on at the time of the accident.

Have a customer accuse you of harassment and let them show FDX THEIR phone that shows you did indeed call them and see what happens.

You can act all knowing but in these instances, you are just plain misinformed. Sorry, it happens.
So, don't run into anybody. Problem solved. I'll call customers to make the delivery. I don't want to come back. It's too far on my route and I don't get paid by the hour. I don't care what they do with my number.