Phoning before delivery

Waste Manager

Is this common practise now?...more and more, resis demanding to be called first. And some courier companies are asking office staff to call recips the night before to confirm..if home, AND providing a rough ETA..
Thoughts?

dezguy

I get this all the damn time. You're either home or you're not and no I'm not msg dispatch to have them call you because you're "only one minute away" (customer code for across the city).

When FedEx provides a phone for me and is paying the bill, I'll start calling customers.

Purplepackage

No I won't call you when I'm at the bottom of your drive way.

No I don't know what my ETA is to your house my day is constantly changing.

And no I wont drive 30 minutes back to your house to reattempt your box of vans sneakers that needed a sig

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
That's what Electronic Signature Release is for. I'm at a station that uses Auto-Redirect. One attempt, then HAL unless arrangements are made. Makes life a lot easier.

Star B

White Lightening
That's what Electronic Signature Release is for. I'm at a station that uses Auto-Redirect. One attempt, then HAL unless arrangements are made. Makes life a lot easier.
Is there a reason why your area is set up like that? I would hate to be the CSAs dealing with the vzw/apple customers whining every other day on why we didn't come back out with their pkg.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i called numbers on packages all the time when i was an OMS, and the PM clerks absolutely should too, but a driver has way too much going on to waste time like that

maybe if it's a business for a pickup or something, but nothing more

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i called numbers on packages all the time when i was an OMS, and the PM clerks absolutely should too, but a driver has way too much going on to waste time like that

maybe if it's a business for a pickup or something, but nothing more

It takes less than 30 seconds to do the right thing for the customer.

"Hi, this is UPS Dave. I have a package for you but there is no apartment number on the label. What is your apartment number?"

PM and OMS clerks will call if there is a number on the label. They both also have access to online search programs.

Drivers should NEVER call their pickups.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

"Hi, this is UPS Dave. I have a package for you but there is no apartment number on the label. What is your apartment number?"

PM and OMS clerks will call if there is a number on the label. They both also have access to online search programs.

I WILL call a bad address but that's only because we are required to reattempt corrected addresses that day. If I wait for Dispatch or a CSA to call a customer, it could add 30-45 minutes to my day just for one reattempt.

fdxsux

It's not about how long it takes. It's about my company treats me like crap so I'm not going to do anything Xtra for them.

dvalleyjim

Again, FedEx prima donna's. This is why your on the way out. My phone has unlimited minutes. I will call a FedEx customer to get the package delivered. I don't want it on my truck tomorrow because we are way to busy taking your business to fool around with yesterday's deliveries.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Again, FedEx prima donna's. This is why your on the way out. My phone has unlimited minutes. I will call a FedEx customer to get the package delivered. I don't want it on my truck tomorrow because we are way to busy taking your business to fool around with yesterday's deliveries.
image.gif