Pickup Compliance Time...

NHDRVR

I wasn't sure if this was a new flavor of the month in any of your centers...

I got a message saying to call *** ASAP (my onroad) which isn't unusual but when he answered I heard the following...
(this is pretty much word for word)

"I just got a nasty memo from my boss with your name all over it."
(quickly thinking if I hit a basketball pole or went off a driveway, whatever)
"It seems that you are having difficulty
(oh crap, what did I do...)
"doing your pickups on time..."
(huh??)
Me-"What?"
"Do you want me to change any of your pickup times in the board so you can be in compliance by +/- 15 minutes...

Anyways...

I have 4 pickups on a house call run in the middle of the woods. My route changes based on my air. There are a thousand like it and they are all done the same way. One day I get at my 1st pickup at 11, the next day it could be 3.

The solution??

I was informed that my whole-entire-massive-4 pickups would be put in my DIAD starting at 4 o'clock and then every 5 minutes after that.

In other words, I am getting permission, by a supervisor, to stop-complete pickups that I am not even at just to make sure I am in compliance because he is getting his peepee slapped. I will be mentioning this to our center manager on Monday (covering my ass) and, YET AGAIN, UPS is giving us a glowing example of how inconsistent they are with how we do our job..

over9five

Staff member
I wouldn't do it. It's falsifying information, pure and simple.
This WILL come back to bite everyone involved.

over9five

Staff member
I suppose you have to work as directed, tho. Please make sure you have lots of witnesses, AND make sure the DM is involved.

NHDRVR

I suppose you have to work as directed, tho. Please make sure you have lots of witnesses, AND make sure the DM is involved.

It will be done...

I generally talk to one of our stewards during the morning anyways so this will be brought up...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's not that hard, you just break route to make the pickups at the scheduled time. I do this every day.

NHDRVR

It's not that hard, you just break route to make the pickups at the scheduled time. I do this every day.

I agree, and I did offer to break-off to get them on time. I figure about 20 or so miles would be added on to my run each day.

But..

They are very big on 'work as directed' up here so I will be covering myself as best I can on Monday. I will keep this thread up to date when I get more info...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I wasn't sure if this was a new flavor of the month in any of your centers...

I got a message saying to call *** ASAP (my onroad) which isn't unusual but when he answered I heard the following...
(this is pretty much word for word)

"I just got a nasty memo from my boss with your name all over it."
(quickly thinking if I hit a basketball pole or went off a driveway, whatever)
"It seems that you are having difficulty
(oh crap, what did I do...)
"doing your pickups on time..."
(huh??)
Me-"What?"
"Do you want me to change any of your pickup times in the board so you can be in compliance by +/- 15 minutes...

Anyways...

I have 4 pickups on a house call run in the middle of the woods. My route changes based on my air. There are a thousand like it and they are all done the same way. One day I get at my 1st pickup at 11, the next day it could be 3.

The solution??

I was informed that my whole-entire-massive-4 pickups would be put in my DIAD starting at 4 o'clock and then every 5 minutes after that.

In other words, I am getting permission, by a supervisor, to stop-complete pickups that I am not even at just to make sure I am in compliance because he is getting his peepee slapped. I will be mentioning this to our center manager on Monday (covering my ass) and, YET AGAIN, UPS is giving us a glowing example of how inconsistent they are with how we do our job..
I would only do this if I had his words in writing. I received the same message for the past 3 days in a row. I simply informed the sender that I would do my pickups at the same time every day when they align my route so that I make my deliveries to the same places at the same time each day.

I don't think they understand that the route changes daily. If you factor in the add/cuts, you could arrive at your first "normal" business stop anywhere's from 1hr to 3hrs later on any given day. I also relayed this information to them. Maybe next time I'll ask if the customer is complaining or if it's just someone sitting behind a computer playing god.

And here's yet another way to make it happen.

iowa boy

If you are unable to break trace to do your pickups then CYA!!! Get this order in writing and signed and dated by your on-road as this WILL come back and bite you in the buttocks! Like others have said also, talk with center manager and make sure he is ok with this also before you do it. (I would have him sign or just initial the written order that your on-road gave you. As everyone will tell you, this will come back to haunt you. You know this).

My route has only 4 pick up stops and I drive about 200 to 250 miles a day. Supervisor told me to keep this 15 min pick up time even if I had to " stop complete early" to keep the comit time. Edit pick up later. I told him that is falisfying records. He said " I don't care what you have to do, but keep the comit time." So I asked the DM if he wanted me to falsify records or add 50 miles to my route to keep this comit time. He of course said no to falisfying records and no to adding miles. He told me to just keep doing what I do every day. I asked him why extended routes are held to the same standard as in town routes. He had no answer. DON'T FALISFY! Even if sup tells you to. Cover your rear and talk union rep and DM.

over9five

Staff member
So I asked the DM if he wanted me to falsify records or add 50 miles to my route to keep this comit time. .

What did your DM think about your sup telling you to falsify records? I hope he fired him. Integrity and all that....

morgahorse

Ummm.... if you pick it up early just prerecord it until the actual commit time.... that's what I was shown by a supervisor.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I p/u and stop complete when I am at the stop. I don't play these games with the sups. They want it done any other way then they will give it to me in writing. If they want me to break off then they will live with the consequences of doing that. If they want it done in trace then they can live with the consequences of that as well. No pre-recording or any other garbage.

We had a driver here that transferred to a hub. They had telematics. It cost him his job within 6 months, because he was in the habit of doing things one way here (w/o tele) and was able to get away with it. If you don't start bad habits then when push comes to shove you won't be on the losing end of things.