Pickup Compliance Time...

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I p/u and stop complete when I am at the stop. I don't play these games with the sups. They want it done any other way then they will give it to me in writing. If they want me to break off then they will live with the consequences of doing that. If they want it done in trace then they can live with the consequences of that as well. No pre-recording or any other garbage.

WORD!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That's what I asked the sup. I figure just do it when I get there if its more or less than the 15min I guess I'm screwed when we get telemetics, but I'm not going to lie about it.

You will be "screwed" either way.

Under Telematics, any action you take to get off of one report will simply cause you to appear on a different one.

If you dont give your supervisor anything to complain about...he will simply make something up. His job security depends upon inventing problems and then pretending to solve them. As long as he generates a sufficent volume of reports and warning letters, he can create the illusion on paper that he is actually contributing something meaningful to the operation, and buy himself another day of survival on the corporate tit.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I wasn't sure if this was a new flavor of the month in any of your centers...

I got a message saying to call *** ASAP (my onroad) which isn't unusual but when he answered I heard the following...
(this is pretty much word for word)

"I just got a nasty memo from my boss with your name all over it."
(quickly thinking if I hit a basketball pole or went off a driveway, whatever)
"It seems that you are having difficulty
(oh crap, what did I do...)
"doing your pickups on time..."
(huh??)
Me-"What?"
"Do you want me to change any of your pickup times in the board so you can be in compliance by +/- 15 minutes...

Anyways...

I have 4 pickups on a house call run in the middle of the woods. My route changes based on my air. There are a thousand like it and they are all done the same way. One day I get at my 1st pickup at 11, the next day it could be 3.

The solution??

I was informed that my whole-entire-massive-4 pickups would be put in my DIAD starting at 4 o'clock and then every 5 minutes after that.

In other words, I am getting permission, by a supervisor, to stop-complete pickups that I am not even at just to make sure I am in compliance because he is getting his peepee slapped. I will be mentioning this to our center manager on Monday (covering my ass) and, YET AGAIN, UPS is giving us a glowing example of how inconsistent they are with how we do our job..

No way would I have EVER stop completed when not at the location. They WILL fire you for dishonesty at some point. Go over his head, get your steward involved. When push comes to shove he'll shove you under the bus.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Does anyone have PICKUP stops at businesses that are closed for shipping and/or delivery on certain days, like all Mondays or Fridays? Do you :

1.Drive there anyway to complete the stop at "compliance time" knowing they are closed to satisfy GPS?

2.Don't sheet it at all, and just cursor around it all day?

3.Sheet it as closed from wherever you are at "compliance time"?

4.Sheet it as stop complete at delivery, if they are open in the AM, for example?

over9five

Staff member
If they were open for delivery, I would stop complete the pick-up then. You've made customer contact, you're covered.

Isn't there a percentage of p/us you're supposed to do within the window? Used to be when I was in Package, so one or two off doesn't matter.

Kman845

Sometimes when my route's busted and I'm doing a route with lots of pickups (mine has only 4) I'll call pickups within +/- 15 min of commit time to see if they're shipping that day, thus saving time from breaking off route to make a pickup that has nothing to pick up anyway.

I know this isn't too popular with some people on here, but it does save time.

K

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sometimes when my route's busted and I'm doing a route with lots of pickups (mine has only 4) I'll call pickups within +/- 15 min of commit time to see if they're shipping that day, thus saving time from breaking off route to make a pickup that has nothing to pick up anyway. I know this isn't too popular with some people on here, but it does save time.

Let's say you are a business owner and you have a UPS pickup acct, for which you pay $18 per week or $936 per year. Would you rather see your driver each day or would a phone call suffice? Last time I checked, they are paying for a daily pickup, not a daily phone call.

NHDRVR

Update:

I have been told by my on-road and the center manager that this is to be treated in the center as a 'work as directed' policy since it's also being done on a handful of other routes to keep the building in compliance.

Although I am stop completing them at the times requested I am putting them in pre-record as I physically get to the pick-up. Also, this was mentioned to the stewards and made a note of...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Update:

I have been told by my on-road and the center manager that this is to be treated in the center as a 'work as directed' policy since it's also being done on a handful of other routes to keep the building in compliance.

Although I am stop completing them at the times requested I am putting them in pre-record as I physically get to the pick-up. Also, this was mentioned to the stewards and made a note of...
That's beyond ridiculous. The whole point of being in compliance is to actually make the pickups at the scheduled time. Basically your center team is ordering you to lie. I would go to the DM and ask him/her what he/she thinks.

Kman845

Let's say you are a business owner and you have a UPS pickup acct, for which you pay $18 per week or $936 per year. Would you rather see your driver each day or would a phone call suffice? Last time I checked, they are paying for a daily pickup, not a daily phone call.

If it keeps my over/under in line and the sups off my back, I'll make the call. They (the sups) do what they gotta do, and I'm gonna do what I have to do.

K

Hedley_Lamarr

I wasn't sure if this was a new flavor of the month in any of your centers...

I got a message saying to call *** ASAP (my onroad) which isn't unusual but when he answered I heard the following...
(this is pretty much word for word)

"I just got a nasty memo from my boss with your name all over it."
(quickly thinking if I hit a basketball pole or went off a driveway, whatever)
"It seems that you are having difficulty
(oh crap, what did I do...)
"doing your pickups on time..."
(huh??)
Me-"What?"
"Do you want me to change any of your pickup times in the board so you can be in compliance by +/- 15 minutes...

Anyways...

I have 4 pickups on a house call run in the middle of the woods. My route changes based on my air. There are a thousand like it and they are all done the same way. One day I get at my 1st pickup at 11, the next day it could be 3.

The solution??

I was informed that my whole-entire-massive-4 pickups would be put in my DIAD starting at 4 o'clock and then every 5 minutes after that.

In other words, I am getting permission, by a supervisor, to stop-complete pickups that I am not even at just to make sure I am in compliance because he is getting his peepee slapped. I will be mentioning this to our center manager on Monday (covering my ass) and, YET AGAIN, UPS is giving us a glowing example of how inconsistent they are with how we do our job..
I was taught to falsify records by my on-car too...

Kman845

You wouldn't be my pickup driver for very long.

If the customer had a problem with me calling to check for pickups I'd understand. But to break off deliveries and waste ten minutes to make a pickup that more often than not ships out nothing, especially on Fridays, doesn't make much common sense.

I'm all for customer service. I've always done everything I can to be courteous and professional to customers and people I work with, both management and hourly co-workers. However, with this economic situation, management doesn't realize (or seemingly care) about customer service, only numbers on reports. I'm just trying to keep my numbers in line, in any way possible, within reason (NOT skipping breaks) to keep my job.

K

bigblu 2 you

imo, the whole compliance thing is a farce,just another way for ups to squeeze us.like the 9.5 paid day,range of dispatch,mini max,sporh;s etc.i have 35 pickups and not one cares what time you make them as long as its after 300pm.and even though i dont{i need the miles}they wouldnt care if you called first to see if they will have pkgs or not. we were told this was customer generated from questionairs etc.but not one of our drivers have ever heard a customer tell them they would like you within 15 min+ or -.

40 and out

In my center,they were big on this pickup compliance b.s. about a year ago for about a month with daily posted lists with our name and pickup compliance % on it. Then this stopped with almost never another mention of it. Then, today I was sent a message saying "You were only 70% compliant last week. Get with the OMS and fix your pickup log TODAY so this is fixed. I don't know if this happening everywhere,but where I am it looks like this is September's flavor of the month. Always something stupid going on to make our jobs so enjoyable. Oh well, more OT for me so I don't show up on some stupid report.

DS

Fenderbender
In my center,they were big on this pickup compliance b.s. about a year ago for about a month with daily posted lists with our name and pickup compliance % on it. Then this stopped with almost never another mention of it. Then, today I was sent a message saying "You were only 70% compliant last week..
I gotta agree that the flavor of the week thing gets old after awhile.
Maybe they have a 340 different compliance standards poster that some pinhead in Atlanta throws darts at every 6 months.

ol'browneye

Does anyone have PICKUP stops at businesses that are closed for shipping and/or delivery on certain days, like all Mondays or Fridays? Do you :

1.Drive there anyway to complete the stop at "compliance time" knowing they are closed to satisfy GPS?

2.Don't sheet it at all, and just cursor around it all day?

3.Sheet it as closed from wherever you are at "compliance time"?

4.Sheet it as stop complete at delivery, if they are open in the AM, for example?

I have a stop that ships a lot of refrigerated medicines. They told me not to come by on Fridays as they didn't want any shipments sitting around in a trailer or building all weekend thawing out. I told my on-car supe and I suggested that I don't even complete the pickup if I am not making it and she agreed. No lying to gps and no commit time violation, because I never went there.

I also have an on-route pickup that I get anywhere from 11:30 to 3:00, depending on air and splits. I brought that to my on-car's attention and he put a note in the board. When I open that pickup in the diad a note pops up to pickup on route. I guess that keeps me off the non-compliance list as I haven't heard anything about it since!