Pilot strike

Buhryein

I think what your failing to understand is that is senior guys are telling the rtd’s to get out. The writing is on the wall with express. We’re all going over to ground. I see rtd’s get trained then head out to a better pay in the short term and possibly the long. I don’t know the turnover on couriers, but we’re would a highly trained courier go? Ground? Ups? At least the one pays a lot more
I think what you're failing to understand is that fedex doesn't value a RTD as much as you think they do, in fact again they value you just as much as a courier. They will and have done just the bare minimum to keep people on and skirt the line of cost to do so. The scale is different the strategy is the same courier or rtd.

You want to talk about value to the company, ability to easily move elsewhere for better pay, having more options than the plebian couriers.... then do it, go, stop taking the crumbs and complaining about it, stop telling others how you're so much more valuable and just go get that better paying job for a better company.

Show them what's up, tbh now is the best time there are plenty of companies looking for longhaul drivers paying big money.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I think what your failing to understand is that is senior guys are telling the rtd’s to get out.
I don't blame them. If I was an RTD with decent seniority, I'd be telling the younger ones to get out, too. It's a great way to keep the turnover rate high enough to justify the argument for more RTD pay for those who plan on sticking around.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You want to talk about value to the company, ability to easily move elsewhere for better pay, having more options than the plebian couriers.... then do it, go, stop taking the crumbs and complaining about it, stop telling others how you're so much more valuable and just go get that better paying job for a better company.

Show them what's up, tbh now is the best time there are plenty of companies looking for longhaul drivers paying big money.
They aren't going to give up a nice set schedule and seniority for PTO bidding to start all over again as on OTR driver. RTD is the easiest job in the company.

Aquaman

Again you miss my point entirely, you think you have some pull then use it. Walk away get a better gig which yea you may have more options but like i said that doesn't make you more valuable to fedex they will replace you with ANY courier that puts in for the job even if they have no CDL they can even have no seniority if they get the spot they fill it with anyone its not an interview position, you apply and if you are on top of the list you get it and they pay for your CDL.... go demand your better pay lmk how it works out.

Tell me where am I wrong?

You seem to think your license puts you above a courier, in the eyes of fedex you leave they train another, a courier leaves they train another. Lmao get over yourself.
The mistake you’re making is assuming “training another” is an equal venture between couriers & RTD’s. It’s not… the company invests WAY more in RTD’s. Only for them to have every company under the sun competing to hire them once they’re trained. I’m not trying to make you feel dumb for being a courier. Nor am I trying to make RTD’s sound smart. I’m simply saying retention is a bigger priority with RTD’s at Express. Companies are not competing for FedEx couriers… period.

Aquaman

They aren't going to give up a nice set schedule and seniority for PTO bidding to start all over again as on OTR driver. RTD is the easiest job in the company.
It’s why I stay. I have young kids. A 40 hour work week with a class A is incredibly rare. This might be the ONLY place. But this idiot I’m arguing with is trying to say the company values RTD’s & couriers the same. Which is just dumb. They cut the progression in half for RTD’s because the effort to retain us has to be higher than couriers. Because the opportunity for those drivers elsewhere is higher. I’m saying the company needs to have consistency with RTD pay. If the couriers don’t get a step raise… RTD’s probably should. That not only retains tractor trailer drivers (which there’s a shortage of)… but it makes more and more couriers want to become RTD’s. The genius with UPS and their industry leading pay is it incentivizes employees to move up. No matter what the wait is. This company has given couriers very little incentive to become RTD’s other than leaving to another trucking company once they get their CDL.

Buhryein

It’s why I stay. I have young kids. A 40 hour work week with a class A is incredibly rare. This might be the ONLY place. But this idiot I’m arguing with is trying to say the company values RTD’s & couriers the same. Which is just dumb. They cut the progression in half for RTD’s because the effort to retain us has to be higher than couriers. Because the opportunity for those drivers elsewhere is higher. I’m saying the company needs to have consistency with RTD pay. If the couriers don’t get a step raise… RTD’s probably should. That not only retains tractor trailer drivers (which there’s a shortage of)… but it makes more and more couriers want to become RTD’s. The genius with UPS and their industry leading pay is it incentivizes employees to move up. No matter what the wait is. This company has given couriers very little incentive to become RTD’s other than leaving to another trucking company once they get their CDL.

You keep arguing like I'm saying something untrue, and you call me the idiot.... you stay but you talk about being able to leave and jump into something better so you deserve more pay to stay because you're an asset to the company moreso than a courier.. but won't leave because the job works for you one way or another and the company knows this.

You just said it yourself "This company has given couriers very little incentive to become RTD’s other than leaving to another trucking company once they get their CDL." Same as they give very little incentive to stay. Yet you choose to keep thinking they will act differently cuz you have a CDL?

Again I state though you can ignore it again, they will do just barely enough to keep you here same with a regular courier.

But whatever dude I'm done explaining the obvious that you can't seem to grasp, if you guys were union and we weren't (such as the pilots where this thread started) I'd say you have every chance to wage your value to gain a raise but as it stands welcome to the pleebs of fedex and like I said before I believe they need to increase pay across the board.

If you think they spend more money on RTD turnover you need to redo some math cuz yes the amount of a single rtd training may be more than a courier but the amount of courier turnover is way beyond that of RTD.

Good day sir

Aquaman

You keep arguing like I'm saying something untrue, and you call me the idiot.... you stay but you talk about being able to leave and jump into something better so you deserve more pay to stay because you're an asset to the company moreso than a courier.. but won't leave because the job works for you one way or another and the company knows this.

You just said it yourself "This company has given couriers very little incentive to become RTD’s other than leaving to another trucking company once they get their CDL." Same as they give very little incentive to stay. Yet you choose to keep thinking they will act differently cuz you have a CDL?

Again I state though you can ignore it again, they will do just barely enough to keep you here same with a regular courier.

But whatever dude I'm done explaining the obvious that you can't seem to grasp, if you guys were union and we weren't (such as the pilots where this thread started) I'd say you have every chance to wage your value to gain a raise but as it stands welcome to the pleebs of fedex and like I said before I believe they need to increase pay across the board.

If you think they spend more money on RTD turnover you need to redo some math cuz yes the amount of a single rtd training may be more than a courier but the amount of courier turnover is way beyond that of RTD.

Good day sir
Yes. Being able to leave for better pay at the drop of a hat… requires better pay than the jobs who can’t. The company has already proven this point true, by paying us more, and moving us to 5 steps. The company has already proven me right.

I don’t CHOOSE to believe they will treat me differently because I have a CDL (even though they already have). I’m saying they need to CONSISTENTLY treat me better than a courier. Because even though I’M not leaving. Others are.

If 2 couriers quite. 2 routes are open. If 2 RTD’s quite… that entire station might not get freight. Understand the difference yet?

MAKAVELI

They changed rtd’s to a five tier top out, couriers stayed the same. It appears FedEx disagrees with you
It's merely to pacify the workgroup. They have done the same pacifying with some locations for couriers and handlers by giving premium pay. FedEx only does this as a reactionary move when more people leave than come in. Don't get it twisted, they value us all the same. And that value is next to nothing in their eyes. They can pause RTD steps just the same as couriers if they feel they can especially if the labor market cools off and demand for labor lessens.

MAKAVELI

The mistake you’re making is assuming “training another” is an equal venture between couriers & RTD’s. It’s not… the company invests WAY more in RTD’s. Only for them to have every company under the sun competing to hire them once they’re trained. I’m not trying to make you feel dumb for being a courier. Nor am I trying to make RTD’s sound smart. I’m simply saying retention is a bigger priority with RTD’s at Express. Companies are not competing for FedEx couriers… period.
One thing you're not getting is the 5 Step progression is not to keep drivers, it's to attract new drivers.

McFeely

Huge Member
Did the top of range on the RTD scale actually go up in pay? Or did they simply take off steps 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 and the RTDs think they’re getting steps every year (like so many in the company believed in 2016 when they started the step program)?

fedx

Extra Large Package
Did the top of range on the RTD scale actually go up in pay? Or did they simply take off steps 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 and the RTDs think they’re getting steps every year (like so many in the company believed in 2016 when they started the step program)?

Attachments

• RTD Pay.jpg
    RTD Pay.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 52

Aquaman

One thing you're not getting is the 5 Step progression is not to keep drivers, it's to attract new drivers.
If you think they made that change only to attract new drivers you’re wrong. Like I said it takes too long to train RTD’s. We’ve had drivers sign offer letters in September and not be trained till after peak. And unlike a courier waiting for training, RTD’s can do nothing during that time. It’s a complete mess. They aren’t doing enough.. but retaining RTD’s is a bigger issue than retaining couriers. They can dumb down the courier job with software like E-star. But they can’t dumb down getting your class A.

Aquaman

Nobody is under the illusion that they’re giving out step raises every year. I’m merely stating that for RTD’s in particular, they need to.

yadig

I think what you're failing to understand is that fedex doesn't value a RTD as much as you think they do, in fact again they value you just as much as a courier. They will and have done just the bare minimum to keep people on and skirt the line of cost to do so. The scale is different the strategy is the same courier or rtd.

I said they were leaving to go else where. That means I’m agreeing with you

yadig

I don't blame them. If I was an RTD with decent seniority, I'd be telling the younger ones to get out, too. It's a great way to keep the turnover rate high enough to justify the argument for more RTD pay for those who plan on sticking around.
Exactly

yadig

Good day sir
I hope that you are right, I’ve made a killing the last five years. I’m topped out and I keep reminding newbies they could top out quicker at freight. It’s a revolving door and much overtime. They hv us come to work in case a manager screws up scheduling, I’m not ignorant to the fact it’s all going the way of the contractors. When it does I’m outta here and then I’ll take this cdl and experience and piddle somewhere else. How bout u? I’m sure ground could use the help with the turnover they have. Good luck to everyone when the two inevitably merge!

MAKAVELI

If you think they made that change only to attract new drivers you’re wrong. Like I said it takes too long to train RTD’s. We’ve had drivers sign offer letters in September and not be trained till after peak. And unlike a courier waiting for training, RTD’s can do nothing during that time. It’s a complete mess. They aren’t doing enough.. but retaining RTD’s is a bigger issue than retaining couriers. They can dumb down the courier job with software like E-star. But they can’t dumb down getting your class A.
Look bro, I don't know how long you've been here but the progression plans were never meant to try and keep older drivers. It was to attract new drivers. As long as people come through that door they really couldn't care less if you leave, CDL A or not. Your local management might not like the turnover but upper management couldn't care less and they are the ones who make decisions on pay. Like others have said if you are looking for better pay and working conditions, look elsewhere cuz it won't be here, especially with Network 2.0.

Aquaman

I hope that you are right, I’ve made a killing the last five years. I’m topped out and I keep reminding newbies they could top out quicker at freight. It’s a revolving door and much overtime. They hv us come to work in case a manager screws up scheduling, I’m not ignorant to the fact it’s all going the way of the contractors. When it does I’m outta here and then I’ll take this cdl and experience and piddle somewhere else. How bout u? I’m sure ground could use the help with the turnover they have. Good luck to everyone when the two inevitably merge!
Show me one change this company has implemented that wasn’t a complete mess. If we ever do fully merge, 1) a union will be in here faster than they can imagine. 2) it’ll be a cluster that takes 15 years to implement.

dezguy

"RTD had their pay progression changed to 5 years"

And? Nothing stopping FedEx from suspending a year or years, just like they have since they put the new step progression in place.

yadig

"RTD had their pay progression changed to 5 years"

And? Nothing stopping FedEx from suspending a year or years, just like they have since they put the new step progression in place.
I hope they do suspend it this year! More overtime for me! I’ll take all I can get from these cheap bastards!