Pilot strike

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
FedEx is trying to break the union. If FedEx is truly the top air cargo carrier, the pilots should be paid as such and at least be on the same scale as UPS pilots.
Entitled egotists think that way.

If you were a responsible business owner, however, you would offer your employees what the transaction is of value to your business, and let your employees decide to accept, or decline. Unless, of course, you have no alternative. Then, the entitled egotists rule.

Sounds like FedEx has alternatives in this situation.

If you were a responsible business owner, however, you would offer your employees what the transaction is of value to your business, and let your employees decide to accept, or decline. Unless, of course, you have no alternative. Then, the entitled egotists rule.

Alternatives? I'm no official in the matter, but from what I understand it's almost a death sentence in the industry if you cross a pilots' picket line.

MAKAVELI

If they strike, what alternatives does FedEx have? You think Biden is going to order them back to work?

Artee

FedEx is trying to break the union. If FedEx is truly the top air cargo carrier, the pilots should be paid as such and at least be on the same scale as UPS pilots.
You don't really seem to catch on or understand do you? Fred doesn't have to break the union. The airfreight industry is contracting and doing it for him. There are more workers than there is work. BOTH UPS and FDX have told the pilots to GO FIND OTHER JOBS FLYING PASSENGERS. WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING FOR YOU TO DO! You don't give raises to people sitting around in the breakroom doing nothing. Will FDX give the pilots a raise? Probably a small one just to keep them around and quite them down. some pilots will get tired of not working and not getting paid and move on. Just like what they have done with the couriers. You don't get enough hours and $$ you will find another job.

Artee

I could see UPS taking over the air ,you can have all the planes in the world if you can’t deliver them on time what difference does it make.
What air? UPS airfreight is down even sharper than FDX. If both companies could exit the air business they would. The past two years UPS has been talking about shutting down its ramp here in town and trucking that freight in from its larger hub 100 miles away.

bacha29

I could see UPS taking over the air ,you can have all the planes in the world if you can’t deliver them on time what difference does it make.
It's my understanding that one of the unresolved issues is minimum monthly flight hours. Simply put, if you're not getting any flight hours....you're not getting any money. Secondly, it's been reported that Fats and Raj demand a contract that will result in ZERO increase in costs. So if you fly for the same pay for a year but you have the normal inflation rate of 2% then you've taken a 2% pay cut and if you do that over a 5 year contract then you've take an 10% cut.

And will Fats freeze his air freight rates over the life of any new contract? Try again.

I don't know how FDX Custom Critical is doing on the expedited freight end but there's no question that air freight is a service that is becoming just too damn expensive to operate. But again if Fat Freddy thinks he can get somebody to go out there and bust their ass doing time commit ground freight for half the wages and zero benefits and get it done reliably enough to get enough people to subscribe to the service? Ask your bookie what he thinks.

vantexan

I don't know how FDX Custom Critical is doing on the expedited freight end but there's no question that air freight is a service that is becoming just too damn expensive to operate.
I've pointed out that because of inherent costs in flying most of Express freight the money isn't there to pay everyone UPS level wages and benefits. You called me a corporate apologist. I have always maintained that they could do better and that they should keep promises made, not take advantage. But I never expected UPS level pay. But saying that out loud gets me attacked. Yet here you are saying what I've pointed out in the past. So which is it? Can't have it both ways.

bacha29

I've pointed out that because of inherent costs in flying most of Express freight the money isn't there to pay everyone UPS level wages and benefits. You called me a corporate apologist. I have always maintained that they could do better and that they should keep promises made, not take advantage. But I never expected UPS level pay. But saying that out loud gets me attacked. Yet here you are saying what I've pointed out in the past. So which is it? Can't have it both ways.
What I'm talking about is your corporate hand wringing . "Oh, they can't pay this" or "they can't pay that". That's the talk of a corporate apologist. How do you know they can't pay it?
In the end it's a consumption based business and 70% of the US economy is comprised of consumer consumption much of it discretionary "fun money" spending and for the average person that amount varies.
The transports will do as they've always done.....adjust capacity to reflect demand. Fats and Raj are in reality doing what is needed by reducing capacity and scale of operation. The way they're doing it is highly suspect and with good reason.
Now can they dump heavy additional demands onto third party contractors with minimal additional revenues and expect them to produce a perfect replication of the service nationwide?
A clue to how well this will work might be found in the ongoing capitulation on the part of California contractors.

vantexan

What I'm talking about is your corporate hand wringing . "Oh, they can't pay this" or "they can't pay that". That's the talk of a corporate apologist. How do you know they can't pay it?
In the end it's a consumption based business and 70% of the US economy is comprised of consumer consumption much of it discretionary "fun money" spending and for the average person that amount varies.
The transports will do as they've always done.....adjust capacity to reflect demand. Fats and Raj are in reality doing what is needed by reducing capacity and scale of operation. The way they're doing it is highly suspect and with good reason.
Now can they dump heavy additional demands onto third party contractors with minimal additional revenues and expect them to produce a perfect replication of the service nationwide?
A clue to how well this will work might be found in the ongoing capitulation on the part of California contractors.
You can't say air freight is getting too expensive to operate then call me a corporate apologist for pointing out they don't have the money to pay UPS level pay and benefits. You're trying to have it both ways. Make your mind up. Either they have the money or they don't.

MAKAVELI

You can't say air freight is getting too expensive to operate then call me a corporate apologist for pointing out they don't have the money to pay UPS level pay and benefits. You're trying to have it both ways. Make your mind up. Either they have the money or they don't.
They have the money to pay a competitive wage and benefits. They just don't want to.

vantexan

They have the money to pay a competitive wage and benefits. They just don't want to.
Do they or do they not have the money to pay UPS level wages and benefits? And remember that in order to pay Express better they have to take it out of the Ground profits. But Ground is now their cash cow. So don't expect them to throw money at Express to keep it going at past levels when keeping Ground contractors and their employees paid enough to keep them at it is more important to them. That's just the dog eat dog reality of it. The profits are in Ground, not Express. What does FedEx care about more than anything? Profit. Everything else is just window dressing BS.

bacha29

The air freight business will inevitably downsize. A smaller FDX air freight operation doesn't mean that it can't pay UPS wages to those who remain. No question they'll be looking for a third party air cargo carrier flying old rags and crates that are even junkier than the ones Fat himself flies but he'll keep the good stuff for himself....Always has.

FedupExpress

Do they or do they not have the money to pay UPS level wages and benefits? And remember that in order to pay Express better they have to take it out of the Ground profits. But Ground is now their cash cow. So don't expect them to throw money at Express to keep it going at past levels when keeping Ground contractors and their employees paid enough to keep them at it is more important to them. That's just the dog eat dog reality of it. The profits are in Ground, not Express. What does FedEx care about more than anything? Profit. Everything else is just window dressing BS.
Exactly, won't be long until the suits gut express completely.

vantexan

The air freight business will inevitably downsize. A smaller FDX air freight operation doesn't mean that it can't pay UPS wages to those who remain. No question they'll be looking for a third party air cargo carrier flying old rags and crates that are even junkier than the ones Fat himself flies but he'll keep the good stuff for himself....Always has.
If you can't get a union in it'll never happen. And you were saying they could pay that with the current size of Express. And anyone saying otherwise is a corporate apologist.

bacha29

If you can't get a union in it'll never happen. And you were saying they could pay that with the current size of Express. And anyone saying otherwise is a corporate apologist.
Fedex pilots are union. And we'll simply have to wait and see if they'll take Fat Freddy on or are there still enough Fat Freddy loyalists willing roll over. it's my understanding that the biggest single expense for any airline is not labor.....it's fuel.

vantexan

Fedex pilots are union. And we'll simply have to wait and see if they'll take Fat Freddy on or are there still enough Fat Freddy loyalists willing roll over. it's my understanding that the biggest single expense for any airline is not labor.....it's fuel.
You would be wrong in the case of Express. A normal airline doesn't have hundreds of thousands of employees delivering packages. Payroll takes over half of FedEx revenue. Fuel about a quarter. And FedEx pilots being unionized has no bearing on frontline employees pay.