PIP'ed to Death !

BrownBoogies

2029guy, why don't you have some respect for the family and friends of the gentleman who passed away? I personally knew the man and find your post very disrespectful. There are many things going on in Billing that are sickening (the move to Wayne, the tremendous amount of work, the understaffing, etc, etc). I'm not defending UPS or G&A. I'm defending the memory of a good man who doesn't need his unfortunate death sensationalized by people who are unhappy with UPS. Let the man rest in peace.

ismahchyk

problem starts w/ the above named 3 and goes much deeper - when one has lunch w/ friends and the conversation goes along the lines of "how many meds are YOU on" and 6 of the 8 people start rattling off antidepressents/anxiety/high blood pressure meds, it ISN'T normal and there IS a problem w/ the culture that is being perpetuated. When one has first hand knowledge of 5 people having a nervous breakdown in a 1 year period it ISN'T normal and that means there IS a problem with the inherent culture! Unfortunately this is the first case of someone passing probably from this insanity. My heart breaks for this man and his family.

3dogs

OK folks - so if you don't like the PIP process who would YOU recommend getting rid of all of the dead wood that hurts all of us in IT? I can't speak to situation regarding the unfortunate person that passed - but people need to be accountable for producing results.

obama

PIP works when it is used properly, to help an employee improve their performance. PIP doesn't work when it is used to punish an employee who may be too old, too costly, too comfortable, too this and too that.

ismahchyk

Pip should NOT be used when a manager wants to cut back the headcount in his/her group (because reducing costs IS on a manager's QPR this year) instead of just doing the honorable thing and just laying them OFF!

I have seen that first hand at least 3x in the past 2 years......

2029guy

PIP works when it is used properly, to help an employee improve their performance. PIP doesn't work when it is used to punish an employee who may be too old, too costly, too comfortable, too this and too that.

And that is exactly what it is used for they look at the department budget and pick a victim, and there is no way to fight it. Take a look at the job descriptions some time, there is very little difference between the grade levels. It is completely subjective as to weather you are doing your job. It is not like they have a test to be a SPA if they say you are not doing your job and you say you are based on the job description there is no way to prove it, and that's the way they like it. It is just your word against theirs.

Correct on the PIP cycles. They come when it is time to reduce headcount and it is the standard bottom percentage in each department (does not matter how good a department you have). Not sure what job descriptions there are? The last time I saw one of those was years ago and they did not match reality then.

ifreak

It seems there is a lot of this happening in IS. It isn't only people being let go, there are lots of folks who are retiring before they really want to in order to avoid being let go. What is the advantage of doing this rather than just having a lay off? It doesn't seem to be very above board.

obama

...and there's a rumor floating around Mahwah that an important announcement will be made a week from today.