Portland Swan Island Drivers List

Tangerine756

Hey all, so I know it's going to be a while going by what people have told me, but its driving me crazy anyway, because I've heard people say they got hired after 6 months and others say it was 4 years. I know theres no way of knowing for sure, but is there any way to check to see how big the list is or anything? I have pretty low seniority, only 7 months, but the only reason I'm in the hub at all is to drive and I'm going crazy being in limbo. Any tips? I was called for a driving position in another area but I opted to wait for Swan Island and they said I was still on that list (I know downtown and SE like the back of my hand and it's a way shorter commute by about an hour. Good sign maybe that they called?)

Tanktoptony

Better just go to whatever area they are offering. Tualatin needs the most drivers, Alderwood and Hillsboro are not as packed with blown out routes. If you are really wanting to become a driver just take whatever they offer, people with higher seniority could take the swan island positions before you.

trickpony1

Way too much emphasis on those but if you have those down you can concentrate on doing the job.
I agree.
How have many drivers made it 20, 30 or 40 years without having to vomit that stuff?
No one wants to work for this company but yet they make it more difficult,
Really?

Obvious helping.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I made Circle of Honor (29 safe driving years) and I never did memorize the Fives and Tens word for word. I have just never been good at memorizing much of anything.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I made Circle of Honor (29 safe driving years) and I never did memorize the Fives and Tens word for word. I have just never been good at memorizing much of anything.
Do wish you’d of stuck around to get your 30 years of safe driving or were you just done with all of this??? 🤣🤣

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Do wish you’d of stuck around to get your 30 years of safe driving or were you just done with all of this??? 🤣🤣
I had 29.5 years of official safe driving out of a 37-year package driver career. I wanted the 30-year patch but it wasn't worth it to work another Peak Season. I retired in the middle of October, by Halloween it gets dark early and they would load me up with more stops and a Helper. Screw that. I did enjoy my special parking spot and a lot of drivers would comment that they hoped to get Circle of Honor. When we had corporate folks in the building, just about every one of them would notice Circle of Honor patches and thank the drivers. I now don't miss the company at all. I miss my customers and a lot of my co-workers though.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I had 29.5 years of official safe driving out of a 37-year package driver career. I wanted the 30-year patch but it wasn't worth it to work another Peak Season. I retired in the middle of October, by Halloween it gets dark early and they would load me up with more stops and a Helper. Screw that. I did enjoy my special parking spot and a lot of drivers would comment that they hoped to get Circle of Honor. When we had corporate folks in the building, just about every one of them would notice Circle of Honor patches and thank the drivers. I now don't miss the company at all. I miss my customers and a lot of my co-workers though.
You just get to a point when you are just done…you gave more than enough all of those years scratch!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You just get to a point when you are just done…you gave more than enough all of those years scratch!
Yes. It was hard for me to pick a final day, I decided not to work a single day after my 45-year hire date, I retired on a Wednesday. My body was starting to complain that it had been through enough, I didn't limp out the door like I saw quite a few times. My finances looked good. I built a new house and I haven't touched investments. Those two pension checks hit the first of every month.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Please try and stay on topic, thank you

oldngray

nowhere special
Yes. It was hard for me to pick a final day, I decided not to work a single day after my 45-year hire date, I retired on a Wednesday. My body was starting to complain that it had been through enough, I didn't limp out the door like I saw quite a few times. My finances looked good. I built a new house and I haven't touched investments. Those two pension checks hit the first of every month.
You get to the point where chasing these extra dollars isn't worth it. You can't put a price tag on the extra years you can spend enjoying life.

Dhydratd

“If I was good at memorizing stuff do you think I’d be driving a truck for a living?” My sups would stare at me for a second and just say “fair enough”.
I made it 28 years without ever memorizing that stuff.