Possibility of moving up after graduating college while at UPS

Quick Summary:
Working at UPS as a Senior in college pursing 4 year degree in Finance, how likely is it that I move from part time package handler to college job right after I graduate like HR hiring guy promised? Heard to never trust managements lol

Details:
I am gonna start this coming Monday as the twilight shift 5pm to 11pm. I am trying to decide if its worth breaking my back or not while taking 15 credit hours. I might drop one class and bring it down to 12 if I cannot do both because I only have 27 credit hours left. The Hub I will be working at is legit a 15 minute walk from the University but I have a car anyway. The 5k in tuition is a nice bonus to ease the debt pain, BUT the most important thing is the "guaranteed" job right after you graduate. This really matters to me because it is really the only reason to work at UPS because sometimes it takes people a year or two to find a job after they graduate. That loan interest kicks in as soon as you graduate so the 5k a year isn't much if I don't move up at UPS within a couple months and the debt starts to hurt. Any advice is appreciated because my grades will suffer a bit if I do UPS but that won't matter if UPS hires you no matter what, but I don't want to hurt my grades if UPS doesn't really move you up and I gotta wait a couple years to be a driver while the debt eats me alive.

Any advice or incite is appreciated !!!

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
As with all things UPS, I wouldn't count on it. Certainly don't put all your eggs in one basket. Get out there and interview!!!

Unfortunately it's a lot like the armed forces recruiting, they promise you a lot to get you to join, but you end up scrubbing toilets instead of flying choppers.

Turkleton

There's always women at the pool, baby!
Quick Summary:
Working at UPS as a Senior in college pursing 4 year degree in Finance, how likely is it that I move from part time package handler to college job right after I graduate like HR hiring guy promised?

Right after you graduate? I wouldn't count on it. Doesn't mean it won't happen in time, but I wouldn't hold my breath on a quick promotion as soon as you've got your degree.

watdaflock?

Something else to consider - wife and kids sometimes are not-so keen on relocation. Management at UPS gets transferred, a lot....
You're pursuing a degree in financing, which may become useful if ya make it to top pay rate as a driver. Make tons of money driving a big brown truck, have great insurance. Also have the knowledge of financing, investing in the stock market or real estate.

Win win

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Quick Summary:
Working at UPS as a Senior in college pursing 4 year degree in Finance, how likely is it that I move from part time package handler to college job right after I graduate like HR hiring guy promised? Heard to never trust managements lol

Details:
I am gonna start this coming Monday as the twilight shift 5pm to 11pm. I am trying to decide if its worth breaking my back or not while taking 15 credit hours. I might drop one class and bring it down to 12 if I cannot do both because I only have 27 credit hours left. The Hub I will be working at is legit a 15 minute walk from the University but I have a car anyway. The 5k in tuition is a nice bonus to ease the debt pain, BUT the most important thing is the "guaranteed" job right after you graduate. This really matters to me because it is really the only reason to work at UPS because sometimes it takes people a year or two to find a job after they graduate. That loan interest kicks in as soon as you graduate so the 5k a year isn't much if I don't move up at UPS within a couple months and the debt starts to hurt. Any advice is appreciated because my grades will suffer a bit if I do UPS but that won't matter if UPS hires you no matter what, but I don't want to hurt my grades if UPS doesn't really move you up and I gotta wait a couple years to be a driver while the debt eats me alive.

What kind of work you see yourself getting into after graduation? The job market is strong now unlike the Obama years.

Pooter

Just keep UPS as a plan B. Not everyone lands a sweet job after college but at least u still got the boxes

I personally know someone who started loading and now is in HR so it does happen but I’m sure it’s rare.

Fuzzy Brown

Quick Summary:

Details:

The good news is finance people are in demand and it is far away from operations which is where you want to be.