Possible career change

mrguru30

I work with the railroad in the northeast region of the country in public transportation and am talking to UPS to get on as a regular package delivery driver off the street in Texas. I'm 40 yrs old have 5 yrs with the railroad, but with the expenses here its getting discouraging. I am in good shape so that's not a problem I do have some friends who work for UPS here who r saying Wtf r u crazy u wanna work here. They will be busting ur ass, u will be getting home 9pm at night and it'll take u years to get a permanent route, one guy said I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Is this all true? I also have a cdl if I got a straight job route is it easier than doin a package car route? And I hear there is no ac in the trucks will that change?. Thx

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I work with the railroad in the northeast region of the country in public transportation and am talking to UPS to get on as a regular package delivery driver off the street in Texas. I'm 40 yrs old have 5 yrs with the railroad, but with the expenses here its getting discouraging. I am in good shape so that's not a problem I do have some friends who work for UPS here who r saying Wtf r u crazy u wanna work here. They will be busting ur ass, u will be getting home 9pm at night and it'll take u years to get a permanent route, one guy said I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Is this all true? I also have a cdl if I got a straight job route is it easier than doin a package car route? And I hear there is no ac in the trucks will that change?. Thx
Most people who tried and quit say this is the hardest thing they have ever done. Your are crazy, but it is a decent job. No AC. Maybe you can get hired in feeders if you have a class A, they seem to need people all the time now too.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This is the best time, in a long time, to apply for Package Car Driver.
With the Saturday delivery push, they will be hiring a lot of outside drivers since most part timers are comfortable where they are.
You will have to apply at upsjobs.com for your specific area. BTW, the grass isn't greener over here but the beer's cold.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
NJ Transit guys make good bucks. Whatever their union asks for the Government gives them!

UPS Preloader

Keep in mind there is a 30 day trial period. They could work you 29 days and then just say sorry. Where will that leave you?

clean hairy

Do a search and see how many have started driving and only work 2 or 3 days a week.
If you are thinking it will be 5 days of work every week from day 1, you are in for a surprise.
Factor in some lean checks in the beginning.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Lmao. Stop considering ups I Agee with your friends

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
This job has changed considerably since I started in the late 80's. Now the hourly employee is treated like the enemy. Definitely not what I signed up for, but I've been here too long to quit now. At 40 yrs old, they will beat the hell out of you. I'd stay with the railroad.