Possible career change

clean hairy

Houston is humidity city, dallas, not so bad, and as stated, west texas is quite dry humidity.
My Father in Law (rip) had a saying "the sun has risen, the sun has set, I still am not out of Texas yet"

Box Ox

I work with the railroad in the northeast region of the country in public transportation and am talking to UPS to get on as a regular package delivery driver off the street in Texas. I'm 40 yrs old have 5 yrs with the railroad, but with the expenses here its getting discouraging. I am in good shape so that's not a problem I do have some friends who work for UPS here who r saying Wtf r u crazy u wanna work here. They will be busting ur ass, u will be getting home 9pm at night and it'll take u years to get a permanent route, one guy said I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Is this all true? I also have a cdl if I got a straight job route is it easier than doin a package car route? And I hear there is no ac in the trucks will that change?. Thx

What do you see as the advantages to working with UPS versus the railroad? Is there a huge pay difference? If not that, I don't know what it would be.

Plus, Texas. I'm in the south, but not that far south. It's extremely hot in the back of a package car during the summer where I am. But it's probably 10 hells worth of hot down there.

MethodsMan

The jobs not that bad, just work at a decent pace. I'm off usually by around 6:00 to 6:30 every day which is just the right amount of OT for me.

Starting out at your age with no vacations for the first year might be a little taxing. But the job isn't crazy hard. You're backed by a solid union. Give it an honest day effort, don't do anything dirty and you'll stay out of the spotlight and it will be a good job.

Jobs with no experience, delivering cardboard for nearly $36/hour don't grow on trees.

Oh, and Texas will probably suck in the summer.

W

What The Hawk?

I work with the railroad in the northeast region of the country in public transportation and am talking to UPS to get on as a regular package delivery driver off the street in Texas. I'm 40 yrs old have 5 yrs with the railroad, but with the expenses here its getting discouraging. I am in good shape so that's not a problem I do have some friends who work for UPS here who r saying Wtf r u crazy u wanna work here. They will be busting ur ass, u will be getting home 9pm at night and it'll take u years to get a permanent route, one guy said I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Is this all true? I also have a cdl if I got a straight job route is it easier than doin a package car route? And I hear there is no ac in the trucks will that change?. Thx
This is a physical job, I'm not a driver but many drivers have told me to stay in school..LOL. Remember you can't be a driver for very long, it's very physical.

KOG72

I’m full of it
IMG_5180.JPG
Just started my 29th and final year.
They already have your cake ready

JL 0513

Bottom line is, no one is going to recommend this job to a 40 year old to start. It's really made to start younger. Most drivers retire by their late 50's. Have to look at it as a long term investment to be worth it because it takes years just to gain enough seniority to run better routes, vacation time/picks, etc. If all you had was a crappy job, then that would be different because you had nothing to lose. I doubt the railroad would let you leave for a month to try this.

So you think expenses are killing you in Texas?? While expenses /real estate have gone way up in recent years because everyone is moving there, it's still no where near northeastern and coastal state living expenses.