Possible termination "on topic"

FedGT

Not sure about Ground.
The policy at Express has been that you must inform FedEx of a violation prior to the next time you operate a company vehicle. Failure to report typically results in termination.

The policy also kept one in a driving position if your license was not suspended or revoked pending conviction. If acquitted, then no changes. If convicted or plead guilty, then removed from driving. You can drive again 1 year after reinstatement if you maintain Express employment.

At Ground all drivers are guilty until proven innocent. Many suspensions in my old terminal that resulted in needing to retest drivers after they were found in the right.

FedGT

Fedex will find out and you will be permanently DQ'd.

Fedex just entered a program recently where any traffic citation will automatically be forwarded on to Pittsburgh regardless of any court disposition down the line.

That is when FedEx knows about it though, right?
Obviously a ticket in a persons personal vehicle wouldn’t get transferred until drivers records were checked.
If it was a good driver and they told me I wouldn’t tell FedEx until yearly driver record was about to be pulled. What would be the point, it will be a life DQ no matter what and all I would say is “huh, that sucks, he never told me”.

MassWineGuy

What is the official Ground policy about arrests or moving violations? Seems odd that a driver’s superior shouldn’t be informed.

W

What The Hawk?

I know that if you have a CDL and you get a DUI...you're screwed and for good reason.

Dude, you're job is being a DRIVER for a well known delivery company. I would hope they wouldn't keep you. What the hell were you thinking?

rod

Retired 22 years
I'd keep my mouth shut. That has always worked best for me. No way in hell would UPS ever hired me if they knew the truth back then.

bbsam

Staff member
That is when FedEx knows about it though, right?
Obviously a ticket in a persons personal vehicle wouldn’t get transferred until drivers records were checked.
If it was a good driver and they told me I wouldn’t tell FedEx until yearly driver record was about to be pulled. What would be the point, it will be a life DQ no matter what and all I would say is “huh, that sucks, he never told me”.
From what I understand, that's why Fedex entered into the new program. Drivers/contractors weren't reporting. Now, the violation information goes directly to Fedex. Note I said violation information and not court information.

FedGT

From what I understand, that's why Fedex entered into the new program. Drivers/contractors weren't reporting. Now, the violation information goes directly to Fedex. Note I said violation information and not court information.
Is it a govt program that has the drivers license flagged to go to them for any moving violation?

STFXG

If you’re going to ride it out until busted you should tell your contractor he needs to replace you. If you tell him why then he has to immediately pull you off the road. Be vague and start looking for a new job. It’ll take him at least a couple weeks to get someone in the system. Probably even allow you to train the new guy until you’re flagged. You’re done there though.

bacha29

If you’re going to ride it out until busted you should tell your contractor he needs to replace you. If you tell him why then he has to immediately pull you off the road. Be vague and start looking for a new job. It’ll take him at least a couple weeks to get someone in the system. Probably even allow you to train the new guy until you’re flagged. You’re done there though.
Never forget the two most important words in the English language...... "consenting adult". This gentleman got drunk as a consenting adult. He drove while drunk as a consenting adult and now he has to deal with the consequences as a consenting adult. If the guy has an old lady then having to deal with her wrath will be a punishment far worse than anything X or a judge could hand out.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
As a person who has lost someone due to an individual who made the choice to be DUI, I have no sympathy for anyone who has gotten themselves in a bind such as the OP has.

He/she may have to get up tomorrow and go in search of another job - but at least he/she will be able to get up tomorrow and go in search of another job.

My family drives these roads. I cannot tolerate those who choose to go out and put others’ lives and well-being in peril through their willful negligence. If you choose to be stupid, I expect you to pay the full consequences.

By the same token, if a member of my family were ever to be convicted of DUI, I would expect the same of them, and they would receive no support or sympathy from me, as they equally have no right being out there putting you and your loved ones in danger either.

There are motels, there are buses, there are taxis, there is Lyft, Uber, family and friends - There is always another alternative.

DUI? - sorry, there are simply no more excuses for it.

MassWineGuy

My heart goes out to you Route 66. I agree with you. There have been a couple of times when I was out and felt too inebriated to drive. I sat in my car or just hung out somewhere until I was at least more clear headed.

OP: You know that you made a mistake. Everyone on the planet makes mistakes. If you just worked inside on the sort it might not matter. But you should probably bank on it that your days of commercial driving are over. If it were Express you’d already be gone.

I wish you very good luck.

The Youngin' Of It All

Also, if you had any decency you would tell your contractor immediately and inform him of the situation. Why should he have to get screwed because of the decision YOU chose to make? If you were in my business and kept that from me I'd be beyond furious.. especially with all the nonsense I go through on a daily basis already. Do yourself a favor and do the right thing. You may be done, but why make your contractor and other employees suffer, especially when the contractor has probably invested a hell of a lot more than you in the first place. Not cool OP.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Also, if you had any decency you would tell your contractor immediately and inform him of the situation. Why should he have to get screwed because of the decision YOU chose to make? If you were in my business and kept that from me I'd be beyond furious.. especially with all the nonsense I go through on a daily basis already. Do yourself a favor and do the right thing. You may be done, but why make your contractor and other employees suffer, especially when the contractor has probably invested a hell of a lot more than you in the first place. Not cool OP.

With no disrespect intended, and not excusing the OP's drunk driving, simply playing devil's advocate. Beyond the fact that the OP brought the coming consequences on himself, it is Fed Ex's no tolerance policy that is putting him in this position. His license has not been suspended, so he is not doing anything illegal. I'm not aware of any law requiring that he immediately inform his employer of the charge, especially not until after a court decision is handed down.

He would be stupid to inform Fed Ex, ever, or until his license was suspended without occupational exceptions. It's FedEx's rule, it's up to them to enforce it. His only options are to keep quiet until he loses his job (or finds another one), or tell and lose his job immediately. It sounds like in either case he's never working for FedEx again.

If you want to argue that telling is the right thing to do, I can't argue that. But if FedEx wants to avoid these situations, the right thing for them to do is establish a policy where he might get a one-time chance to keep his job as long as he reports it right away, does what is necessary to maintain his license, and go through diversion.

MassWineGuy

I’d be open to that, depending on such a policy’s requirements. I’m far from conservative, but I don’t think zero tolerance is unfair when you’re one of the most recognized freight companies in the world. Service is all FedEx sells. Many customers might be unhappy if they knew the company allowed drunk drivers to keep driving. What’s next? Letting someone who shoots up in the bathroom keep handling freight? Can you say “We’re switching to UPS.”?

Nolimitz

Cant speak to Ground, But we have a gal (Express) that recently went back on road after working inside for about 18 months after a personal DUI. She was not fired because she was upfront and honest about the issue.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Cant speak to Ground, But we have a gal (Express) that recently went back on road after working inside for about 18 months after a personal DUI. She was not fired because she was upfront and honest about the issue.
We had an Express courier who was promoted to manager, so they went out to celebrate. Partied too hardy and ended up with DUI. Immediately lost the management position, but was able to find a non-driving dispatch job. A year later (per policy) they were able to apply for the types of positions with FedEx that they desired, simply because they FOLLOWED PROCEDURE AND REPORTED THE VIOLATION.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’d be open to that, depending on such a policy’s requirements. I’m far from conservative, but I don’t think zero tolerance is unfair when you’re one of the most recognized freight companies in the world. Service is all FedEx sells. Many customers might be unhappy if they knew the company allowed drunk drivers to keep driving. What’s next? Letting someone who shoots up in the bathroom keep handling freight? Can you say “We’re switching to UPS.”?
The problem with zero tolerance policies is that they are also zero brain policies. Every situation is different, a good employee who makes a bad decision in his off time shouldn't necessarily be terminated immediately, it should depend on the merits of the case. An employee drinking and driving on the job, that is a no brainer... immediate termination. My concern is when employers start getting too involved in what we do in our personal lives. Where do you draw the line there?

Not saying a company whose employees drive on public roadways shouldn't monitor their employee's driving records, in fact I believe they are legally required to. But it's unrealistic to expect people to act against their own self-interest. When the options are to tell now and lose your job now, or wait until the company finds out, then lose your job, that's a no-brainer. As such, it's in any company's best interest to have a policy that encourages honesty by offering the employee a way to keep their job as long as they report these types of things as soon as possible.