Possible termination "on topic"

Thomasthetrain

I'm a FedEx ground driver and I just got arrested for a DUI in my personal vehicle on the weekend. My boss doesn't know yet and my lawyer says I can get an occupational DL. My questions are will I automatically be terminated when they find out? Should I tell my boss (who likes me quite a bit) or wait until they find out and save my money to help pay this financial/career disaster i just created

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Are you currently driving with a suspended license? Are you missing work? The more details you provide the better the advice you might get.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm a FedEx ground driver and I just got arrested for a DUI in my personal vehicle on the weekend. My boss doesn't know yet and my lawyer says I can get an occupational DL. My questions are will I automatically be terminated when they find out? Should I tell my boss (who likes me quite a bit) or wait until they find out and save my money to help pay this financial/career disaster i just created
Fedex will find out and you will be permanently DQ'd.

Fedex just entered a program recently where any traffic citation will automatically be forwarded on to Pittsburgh regardless of any court disposition down the line.

dezguy

I'm not advocating anything but I worked with a guy who got a DUI and never told a single soul at FedEx until the day he retired.

Sometimes people slip through the cracks. You could hope for that or you could be honest and hope they keep you around. You could also fight the charge, allowing you to keep your license and job till the matter is decided in court.

Star B

White Lightening
Fedex just entered a program recently where any traffic citation will automatically be forwarded on to Pittsburgh regardless of any court disposition down the line.
If that isn't Employer-type actions, I don't know what is...

bacha29

bbsam is right. You're gone. But it's not that good of a job. So what!
Is this your first DUI? After you're DQed and you've served your license suspension there's always a chance that you might make it back if the route contractor or another contractor wants you back and terminal management backs reinstatement .

bbsam

Staff member
If that isn't Employer-type actions, I don't know what is...
Written into the agreement.

Technically they don't fire the driver. The contractor simply cannot use the individual to provide pickup and delivery activities.

But yeah. They decide who get hired, they decide who gets fired.

bbsam

Staff member
Is this your first DUI? After you're DQed and you've served your license suspension there's always a chance that you might make it back if the route contractor or another contractor wants you back and terminal management backs reinstatement .
No. Determined in Pittsburgh. DQ'd for life.

bacha29

No. Determined in Pittsburgh. DQ'd for life.
Then there must have been a new hard line policy enacted because we have a DUI at the station I was at back driving for the new contractor who bought the route. Given the growing difficulty finding Johnny Cabs I'm sure that there has been under certain circumstances in the past when the rules were relaxed . But then again XG management decides who gets hired and who gets fired.......Oh but you're an independent contractor. I do agree with you Thomas needs to forget about it and move on. He knew the risks and lost.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
8469F0DE-61C3-4610-AF38-F4395B6A0783.gif

bbsam

Staff member
Then there must have been a new hard line policy enacted because we have a DUI at the station I was at back driving for the new contractor who bought the route. Given the growing difficulty finding Johnny Cabs I'm sure that there has been under certain circumstances in the past when the rules were relaxed . But then again XG management decides who gets hired and who gets fired.......Oh but you're an independent contractor. I do agree with you Thomas needs to forget about it and move on. He knew the risks and lost.
Yes. Hardline as of about November '16 I believe.

bacha29

Yes. Hardline as of about November '16 I believe.
The guy I mentioned would have made it back in before then. Time for Thomas to get a haircut and get a real job. Did you notice how there are more guys who have been busted for booze and or drugs coming on here looking for hope if not absolution?

Thomasthetrain

Are you currently driving with a suspended license? Are you missing work? The more details you provide the better the advice you might get.
I have not missed any work and as of right now my license is not suspended. I was immediately issued a TEMP license until the final sentence. This is my first DUI and my lawyer has said he will be able to get me a occupational license no question. I suppose from what I'm seeing here is not to say anything yet and start looking for another job before Fedex finds out and I'm out with no job.

bbsam

Staff member
The guy I mentioned would have made it back in before then. Time for Thomas to get a haircut and get a real job. Did you notice how there are more guys who have been busted for booze and or drugs coming on here looking for hope if not absolution?
New sticky:

IMG_0550.JPG

bbsam

Staff member
I have not missed any work and as of right now my license is not suspended. I was immediately issued a TEMP license until the final sentence. This is my first DUI and my lawyer has said he will be able to get me a occupational license no question. I suppose from what I'm seeing here is not to say anything yet and start looking for another job before Fedex finds out and I'm out with no job.
True. What's the worst that can happen?

It will be fine

If you tell your contractor he'll be under an obligation to fire you himself. Eventually it will pop up and then you're gone. If you want to be nice you can tell him you're looking for another job so he can find a replacement with some notice. If you leave the system before it shows up and later get the conviction expunged you could come back.

Maui

Not sure about Ground.
The policy at Express has been that you must inform FedEx of a violation prior to the next time you operate a company vehicle. Failure to report typically results in termination.

The policy also kept one in a driving position if your license was not suspended or revoked pending conviction. If acquitted, then no changes. If convicted or plead guilty, then removed from driving. You can drive again 1 year after reinstatement if you maintain Express employment.