Post Peak Peak

BCFan

OK, suppose that the company agrees with you and creates more FT jobs in response to seasonal demands----what do you suppose that they do with these employees during our slow times?
See above posts about lay off and bumping procedure ,it could be educational and enlightening all at once. BC

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

See above posts about lay off and bumping procedure ,it could be educational and enlightening all at once. BC

I am well aware of the layoff/bump procedure.

Let's suppose you create 10 new FT positions to deal with seasonal volume. This would require hiring 10 new PT employees to cover the vacancies. Mid-January comes, the new FTers are no longer needed and they are sent back to the hub, displacing the 10 new PT hires. How does this make more sense than simply keeping the helpers and other seasonal help on for a few weeks after Peak?

UPSGUY72

Let's suppose you create 10 new FT positions to deal with seasonal volume. This would require hiring 10 new PT employees to cover the vacancies. Mid-January comes, the new FTers are no longer needed and they are sent back to the hub, displacing the 10 new PT hires. How does this make more sense than simply keeping the helpers and other seasonal help on for a few weeks after Peak?

Keeping helpers and seasonal after peak just gives the company an other reason to not hire more FT people. In my area casuals can work June 1 - December 31 except for the last week or 2 weeks in Sept.

So keeping them a few more weeks would mean casuals can work 7 months out of the year. What happens in the future when the volume doesn't drop off after a couple of weeks do we then allow the company to keep the casuals and helpers longer. The line is drawn moving it is only moving it in the company favor....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm figuring all of this discussion will be a mute point after the upcoming contract is ratified, as it will most certainly address this change in the business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Moot, although I have found that your best posts are those that no one can hear.

No one has yet to answer my question----suppose the company does create and fill more FT positions---does this mean that they hire more seasonal PT workers to fill their vacancies and let them go when the "FTers" go back to the hub? Would these new FT positions be seasonal in nature and the days worked not count toward FT seniority or would these new FTers be able to work toward gaining their seniority and be able to displace 2 PTers in order to get their 8 hours when they are laid off? If so, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of creating more FT jobs? Would the free period be extended to include this post Peak Peak?

I still contend that extending the period in which helpers can be used and allowing PTers to work beyond their guarantee is the best way to deal with this post Peak Peak. Creating and filling FT jobs for such a relatively short period of time would be a logistical nightmare.

UPSGUY72

Moot, although I have found that your best posts are those that no one can hear.

No one has yet to answer my question----suppose the company does create and fill more FT positions---does this mean that they hire more seasonal PT workers to fill their vacancies and let them go when the "FTers" go back to the hub? Would these new FT positions be seasonal in nature and the days worked not count toward FT seniority or would these new FTers be able to work toward gaining their seniority and be able to displace 2 PTers in order to get their 8 hours when they are laid off? If so, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of creating more FT jobs? Would the free period be extended to include this post Peak Peak?

I still contend that extending the period in which helpers can be used and allowing PTers to work beyond their guarantee is the best way to deal with this post Peak Peak. Creating and filling FT jobs for such a relatively short period of time would be a logistical nightmare.

In my area if you haven't complete your FT progression your only guaranteed 4 hour PT work if your get laid off.

In the should run they might be lay offs in the long run there are more FT drivers. The union wants more FT position NOT PT, CASUAL, or TEMP HELPER positions.

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't know about the drivers here, but on Midnight the last couple days in Orlando it still feels like peak, and Wednesday was ridiculous. Come in expecting 136k volume, ran somewhere around 170k instead. I don't know what we ran tonight but it wasn't the 125k predicted. A lot of the seasonals are back and we're still working doubles.

Something about this year is telling me peak isn't stopping at Jan 1 anymore.

Peak doesn't end until the 2nd or 3rd week of January.

All of those online orders which have been steadily increasing the past decade, in some cases, must be returned. These growing #s are a big part of it. Also, I'm assuming that businesses want to reduce inventory for the new year, so pickups may be heavier? Not sure.

This is nothing new and I'm surprised at the , well, surprise!

Past 5 years has been the same thing for me. They all think (management, pters and drivers) that peak ends after Christmas. So far it hasnt happened yet, and this time around is the heaviest I've seen it so far.

A lot is due to this. People placing orders too late before it can be delivered. A lot of conventions happen the first, second and the rest of January. And such things like Sandy Hook can cause huge back ups in orders, since people want their AR-15 and .223-5.56 ammo. Which I could only get a box of 20 today at a gun show for 15$. Trust me, it was the cheapest there.

This was my 7th peak working, so I do have some time in, and at the same time my memory isn't perfect. Also I've been on a midnight shift the whole time, and midnight is different from preload and twilight shifts and it is certainly different from driving a PC.

The last few years on my shift in my location, the couple weeks after Christmas had a drop of volume, but was still above normal volume for the year. This year 136k for a sort a week after Christmas seems about right, 170kish is no where near normal nor expected. Volume is up, and someone dropped the ball predicting it. I'm not saying we shouldn't have every available PC driver out there, nor am I saying we should be letting our seasonals off as soon as the new year starts.

All I'm saying is in my experience on my shift in my location, we are experiencing an abnormal volume for this period. We still expect higher than normal volume, but we're getting beyond reasonable expectations this time around. I heard this past Wednesday the Tampa hub did more volume that day than any other day in peak. Who can honestly say that is expected?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

How does one "hear" or "not hear" a post Nancy?
Or perhaps that is some sort of cryptic, backhanded way of agreeing with me?
Because as painful as it is, I agree with you in this instance.
Permanent full time jobs will not and should not be created for short term unsustainable volume spikes.
That being said, outside of your bubble of goodness, most of us operate in centers that are grossly under staffed.
There enough days outside peak and the post peak peak in which the company is caught with their pants down in this regard and if we all acted collectively to call them down on these contractual violations, we could get the addition jobs that are being withheld.
Make no mistake though, this issue will be put to bed in the next contract.

How does one "hear" or "not hear" a post Nancy?
Or perhaps that is some sort of cryptic, backhanded way of agreeing with me?
Because as painful as it is, I agree with you in this instance.
Permanent full time jobs will not and should not be created for short term unsustainable volume spikes.
That being said, outside of your bubble of goodness, most of us operate in centers that are grossly under staffed.
There enough days outside peak and the post peak peak in which the company is caught with their pants down in this regard and if we all acted collectively to call them down on these contractual violations, we could get the addition jobs that are being withheld.
Make no mistake though, this issue will be put to bed in the next contract.

It was a simple play on words---you typed "mute" when it should have been "moot".

Grammar Nazi, kind of clever though I guess.
This is one of the reason I love the brown cafe. I guess it wouldn't be this good if we didn't have these people. God bless and thanks for the entertainment.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My average paid week last year was around 56 hours. I would be more than willing to give up around 10 hours to someone else to create another full time driving position. I am one of 180 drivers dispatched out of my center and am not alone in being displeased with the amount of overtime I work. There is more than enough work year round to justify adding more full time positions versus pounding us with excess work.

Overpaid Union Thug

My average paid week last year was around 56 hours. I would be more than willing to give up around 10 hours to someone else to create another full time driving position. I am one of 180 drivers dispatched out of my center and am not alone in being displeased with the amount of overtime I work. There is more than enough work year round to justify adding more full time positions versus pounding us with excess work.

The problem is that a huge chunk of UPS's profits come from NOT adding more jobs and sending the already existing routes out with the work instead. So, in order for UPS to add jobs they feel that the volume needs to rise much more than most people would in order to justify the jobs. I just think that they overdo it.

Jcups3349

Didnt read all the posts so idk if this ? Has been asked but doesnt ups have to get approved by the UNION for helpers after dec 24th? Many helpers on the road friday went out with 231 minus a helper and made 9.5 by an hour and a half cuz im retarded

QKRSTKR

How about put more rtes out during the entire year so more of us can work 8.25. 8.5 like you and not even make 70k. No need for lay offs. We went from 64 drivers a few yrs ago to 52. Peak is worse now than ever before and with less drivers, that's what really doesn't make sense.

How about put more rtes out during the entire year so more of us can work 8.25. 8.5 like you and not even make 70k. No need for lay offs. We went from 64 drivers a few yrs ago to 52. Peak is worse now than ever before and with less drivers, that's what really doesn't make sense.
From 64 drivers down to 52? Looks like Obama's economic policies are going "Forward".

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
From 64 drivers down to 52? Looks like Obama's economic policies are going "Forward".

Good point. Let's vote for the right-wing politicians who support the interests of the billionaires and big businesses that got them into office. They'll look out for the working man! I mean, it's not like poverty rates have climbed and the middle class has shrunk while the rich have gotten richer over the past 30 years (during the rise of Republican leadership) - right? By no means am I an Obama fan, but seriously... do you think Mitt Romney cared more about your interests, or Scott Davis?

DS

Fenderbender

This should be the biggest issue with the new contract.
how about time and a half over 40 hours,double time over 45 hours,
triple time over 50.
That might wake them up.

Last edited:

sportsjock

In California they are using inside helpers, the volume in still over the top and not enough drivers. I am a utility driver and I have been driving the same route for the same center since December 10th, and last Friday I did 211 stops and over 300 pieces no helper. Just about every route was dispatched over 200 that's crazy. Then they told us Friday that everyday this upcoming week is going to be heavy.

DS

Fenderbender

This makes way too much sense.
There must be a way around it.(ups)