Post-Thanksgiving volume

T

traveler

Overtime after 25 hours?

Pleeeeeeeze join us in the real world.

P

pgraening

We're seeing about 2,000 more packages than usual, but it hasn't really been too kind on the system - trucks usually at 50-60% coming in at 100 or really weird stuff - like a 60% trailer from CACH that was <u>all bags.</u> Plus, some of our belts are getting really saturated at times. The seasonal help really is good, and for some strange, inexplicable reason, I actually feel good knowing that I will still have a job when this is all done.

L

local804

The package cars are going out fully blown. We have 6 new straight jobs (rented from U-haul) and 2 more horse trailers pulling out the work.Have any of you guys seen some of the stuff the pottery barn is sending????? OMG one was bigger than a damn coffin, hell, maybe it was a coffin.Alot of the loads cant fit in all of the packages. Its just like putting 14 eggs in a dozen container, it just doesnt happen.

T

tieguy

Volume up quite a bit. Rental vehicles, tractors and trailers everywhere. Contractors more than I've ever seen. If this trend continues we will have to add quite a few drivers next year.

O

opie

For part-timers, according to my supervisor if we go over I think 25 hours or 27 hours, somewhere around there. We get overtime.

M

muncher

overtime is any time over 5 hours during the day for part-timers.

P

pgraening

Our building will shut down after four hours of work - no exceptions.

B

browncollar

Things seemed like we were on a roll the first few days after Thanksgiving, but since then it has been very unimpressive at my hub. We are doing less than we did last peak, most of the forecasts have been inflated, and start-times keep getting moved back.

The forecast was 177k tonight. Don't know what we actually did, but it was the first night that actually felt like peak.

pr:
A sixty-percenter of bags from CACH? Oooh, that sounds painful. That's some serious body-building there.

U

upsdude

Volume is up in our building. For some strange reason common sense is being used and a stretch of businesses have been pulled off of my route. My truck is still blowing out but the work has been very manageable. The district manager demands that every driver use a helper, period. My center manager went into a panic mode yesterday afternoon when he realized I didnt have a helper. I spent 45 minutes waiting on the helper and waiting on a sup to bring out a diad. I repeatedly told him I didnt need a helper, didnt matter, we must look good on paper. We must keep the egotistical district manager happy, for he knows everything about my route and how to run it. A quick check shows that Ive now gone from running scratch and clocking out by 7:15 to getting beat by nearly 2 hours and clocking out at 8:00. Its ok though, my bosss job is safe, I had a helper. This forced helper rule is a joke, plain and simple. BTW, the guys that really need one are being limited to using one for 4 hours. The four-hour limit is to keep helper hours controlled! LOL!!

T

tieguy

Ahh yes, the micromanaging District manager. How can you possibly go wrong? You won't have to check the fuel and oil anymore either, he'll let you know when its low.

By the way I'm thrilled to death to see your state arrest the number 7 spammer in the world. Thats legislation long overdue.

P

pgraening

Indeed, volume has dropped more than expected at my hub - they gave me last night off. For the third time this month already.

M

muncher

Our volume is up about 20% from last year, Monday we were told to be ready to get hit with all the volume delayed from the snow storm.

E

ezrider

Upsdude it's the same thing at my building.Last year was the first year I never had to take a helper and it was the best peak I'd ever had.The dispatch was usually 12 to 14 hours until the 24th but it was so much easier not having to break trace to go get a helper.I usually had time left over to help others at the end of the night if need be but not this year.

The term "helper" I would say is at best an oxymoron.There have been one or two over the years that actually performed at a rate above marginal but the majority were just an additional liability.The guys at region have blown it this year as far as most of the horses here are concerned.How any manager thinks a driver is going to stay positive while being saddled with an untrained and often unmotivated novice wasting precious daylight is beyond any practical comprehension.

Only 8 days to go...Oh wait...I have a helper...Better make that 12 days to go until the curtain falls on this rotten stage play.

P

proups

Internet shipping seems to have driven volume levels up this peak.

I wonder what the rest of peak will bring?

B

brownmonster

We have 15 helpers out of 52 drivers. Lots of guys making 2+ hours bonus without one.

C

clarkie

I kind of like having a helper...I run twice as many stops and get out of the truck half as much.
"You take these three stops...I'm going down to the cul de sac, dropping one off, and I'll pick you up when I come back."
It doesn't get any easier.

And to heck with waiting 45 minutes. If they aren't at the meet point at the designated time, you need to call me on the cell phone. I'll tell you where to come catch up with me.