Postal worker dies from being mauled by 5 dogs

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
An article mentioned that a neighbor fired a gun in the air to scare the dogs. Didn't work.

When a pack of dogs are in a frenzy, I believe that nothing short of direct, overwhelming physical violence will stop them.
At that point I would have tried shooting the dogs.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I want to do that to all the coyotes around here ( they have no fear of humans ) but certain bylaws restrict me.
For now all I can do is try to run them over with my truck.

Mutineer

At that point I would have tried shooting the dogs.
Multiple times I have seen dog packs (three to seven) run down and attack wild pigs. The dogs will NOT stop until they are severely injured, dead, or the pig is dead.

The dogs I witnessed do these things were often ordinary, medium sized, mixed breed mutts. It's quite a sight to see an ordinary, friendly, tail-wagging yellow lab transform immediately into a vicious animal. Breeds that caught my attention for their intelligence and viciousness were Standard Poodles and Airedale Terriers.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Keep a putter with you and a couple of golf balls.
That way it is justified as you like to practice your putting during lunch!
One of our drivers carries something similar to this on his hip.
exb-h_open-new-b.jpg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
An article mentioned that a neighbor fired a gun in the air to scare the dogs. Didn't work.

When a pack of dogs are in a frenzy, I believe that nothing short of direct, overwhelming physical violence will stop them.
I am speaking from experience buddy.

we live in the high Sierra of California.
Many coyotes, free roaming dogs and an occasional bear.

our yard is fenced but that doesnt stop them.
an air horn is ear splitting and short bursts gets their attention and scares them off

I do have have guns for back up. Not used yet. We also have pepper spray but have not had to use it yet.

Maybe lucky that the air horn has worked every time....so far.

UnionStrong

an air horn is ear splitting and short bursts gets their attention and scares them off

I do have have guns for back up. Not used yet. We also have pepper spray but have not had to use it yet.

222B9095-5775-4AD3-A740-D01D777B2274.gif

Mutineer

I do not doubt your experiences. I have also observed that loud noises indeed scare away animals.

But NOT a pack of dogs in a frenzy when they are actively locked into attacking a person or animal.

As a kid and young adult, I participated in very many wild pig hunts using dogs to drive the pigs out from cover. As intended, very often the dogs would catch and swarm a pig.

With the pig chased down, tired, and somewhat immobilized by the dogs, the next step is to get close to the pig (ten yards or so) and shoot it with a high-powered rifle. By the time you catch up to this, you are also tired and running on adrenaline.The gun used is typically any iron-sighted lever-action or semi-auto. A Winchester Model 1894, Marlin 336, Mini-30, SKS, or AK variant is perfect for this.

Even with the blast (sometimes multiple) of a high-powered rifle only a few yards away and directly towards their ears, the dogs WILL NOT stop until they, or the pig are dead.

I have witnessed incidents when a dog is unintentionally shot during this process. The other dogs pay no mind to this, they do not stop (not even for a second) and will continue to attack the pig.

UnionStrong

I do not doubt your experiences. I have also observed that loud noises indeed scare away animals.

But NOT a pack of dogs in a frenzy when they are actively locked into attacking a person or animal.

As a kid and young adult, I participated in very many wild pig hunts using dogs to drive the pigs out from cover. As intended, very often the dogs would catch and swarm a pig.

With the pig chased down, tired, and somewhat immobilized by the dogs, the next step is to get close to the pig (ten yards or so) and shoot it with a high-powered rifle. By the time you catch up to this, you are also tired and running on adrenaline.The gun used is typically any iron-sighted lever-action or semi-auto. A Winchester Model 1894, Marlin 336, Mini-30, SKS, or AK variant is perfect for this.

Even with the blast (sometimes multiple) of a high-powered rifle only a few yards away and directly towards their ears, the dogs WILL NOT stop until they, or the pig are dead.

I have witnessed incidents when a dog is unintentionally shot during this process. The other dogs pay no mind to this, they do not stop (not even for a second) and will continue to attack the pig.
They are wolves at heart. Never forget that. And a pack is dangerous thing.

UnionStrong

Man I want to go hog hunting!

Mutineer

They are wolves at heart. Never forget that. And a pack is dangerous thing.
I have seen very nice, friendly, well-bred, and cared for dogs do a Jekyll & Hyde when it gets in a pack mentality.

Upon the conclusion of the event, and removed from the pack, the dog returns to the sweet loving thing that "wouldn't hurt a fly."

UnionStrong

I have seen very nice, friendly, well-bred, and cared for dogs do a Jekyll & Hyde when it gets in a pack mentality.

Upon the conclusion of the event, and removed from the pack, the dog returns to the sweet loving thing that "wouldn't hurt a fly."
Yep. The genetics take over.

Commercial Inside Release

Golf clubs are a hassle, and bound to bring management out of the bar, to follow you around.

Go old school cop. A four D-cell battery Maglight flashlight. They won't take a flashlight away, and noone will steal those old battery hungry flashlights.

Many precicts had to ban batons, but they couldn't ban flashlights. There also wasn't any rules against using your Maglight however you see fit.

Mutineer

Man I want to go hog hunting!
I do not recommend this if you genuinely love dogs. Dogs get injured and killed.

Only if you can wrap yer mind around the notion that a dog is a tool that may die doing it's most favorite thing:

Running in a pack and serving it's Alpha.

When I was 10 I witnessed my favorite dog, a red Australian Shepherd get shredded and killed by a boar. With it's guts hanging out, it did not stop fighting that pig. Afterwards, I watched it lay down and die. While I was blubbering like a baby, I remember my dad and uncle putting the dog in the back of the truck. I remember riding home in the back of the truck with my dog. The chains securing the tailgate clanking and jingling on every bump. My uncle still owns that truck, a '72 K10. It is now very dented, rusty and faded. But the tailgate chains still sound exactly the same.

UnionStrong

I do not recommend this if you genuinely love dogs. Dogs get injured and killed.

Only if you can wrap yer mind around the notion that a dog is a tool that may die doing it's most favorite thing:

Running in a pack and serving it's Alpha.

When I was 10 I witnessed my favorite dog, a red Australian Shepherd get shredded and killed by a boar. With it's guts hanging out, it did not stop fighting that pig. Afterwards, I watched it lay down and die. While I was blubbering like a baby, I remember my dad and uncle putting the dog in the back of the truck. I remember riding home in the back of the truck with my dog. The chains securing the tailgate clanking and jingling on every bump. My uncle still owns that truck, a '72 K10. It is now very dented, rusty and faded. But the tailgate chains still sound exactly the same.
I won’t use dogs if I go. My son has an Aussie , sweet girl.