Poverty And The Allure of the “Strongman”

newfie

If you have seen the movie Back to the Future, I always picture diehard Trump supporters as the three clowns that follow Biff Tannen around while he says and does stupid crap.

“why don’t you make like a tree and get out”

I guess they need to follow someone?

does that feeling of superiority make your leg tingle?

newfie

The longer it takes for the virus to be brought back under control and the longer it takes for the economy to come back the tougher it will be for Donald Trump to get reelected.

it appears you keep fantasizing your hopes and then posting them here.

When he told the governors to fend for themselves

dnc spin and misinformation actual quote :

“We will be backing you, but try getting it yourselves,” Trump said on the call.

and told Pence only to talk to the governors that were "nice" to him is a clear sign that the administration is in a losing battle to get control over the situation.

not nice to him as mcuh as appreciative. Trump spoke on this topic extensively in yesterdays press conference. He talked about how governors have been very appreciative and a few have been political. He said he told Pence to not bother calling those who have been acting political and not being appreciative of the help they have gotten but he knows Pence still calls them on the side. I realize its not exactly what your talking points tell you but may be you should try to consder the truth rather then political spin? Here's a transcript of a video meeting trump had with the governors where they were extremely appeciative of all the help trumps administration has given them.

Remarks by President Trump and Vice President Pence in a Video Teleconference with Governors on COVID-19 | The White House

And the longer he continues to blame everyone else for the crisis the quicker the American people will wash their hands of Donald Trump.

when deblasio says trump is not supporting him despite the fact deblasio as late as early march was telling his own people that they had no reason to worry about the virus should trump accept deblasios blame or correct the record?

when cuomo tries to blame the federal response when he himself rejected options to restock his own supplies in 2015 and when cuomo fails to admit he has a huge surplus of equipment currently with more on the way should trump accept that blame or correct the record?

is your half cooked spin the most important thing to you even though its all nonsense. If I empty out your bank account and tell you trump did it is that all i need to get away with it or are you going to dig deeper and get the right answer?
why then do you accept any narrative that sounds right?

bacha29

So you're saying the democrats have a vested interest in seeing the pandemic really take off in the US? Interesting point, I would never have thought of that.
When you're the head of state the affairs of state are yours regardless of what events and what actions on the part of others created the issues you have it front of you. The buck does in fact stop in the oval office.
Afterward, subsequent congressional investigations and hearings can determine where the lapses in government oversight occurred that were responsible for the chain of command having broken down.

This is how the system works and if you're not willing to keep you mouth shut, stop pointing the finger at someone else step up take responsible and fix the problem then do not seek high political office.

Meat

A lot of posters on the BC that blithely accept Hillary's "bitchface" persona...

In my extensive experience, misogyny is derived from one of the two following conditions being met 1) getting laid too much 2) not getting laid enough.

Something tells me the latter is applicable in your particular case.

I guess being a lonely piece of :censored2: has it’s advantages though. Sheltering in place is probably your average day, so getting through the pandemic is probably a walk in the park for you.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
When you're the head of state the affairs of state are yours regardless of what events and what actions on the part of others created the issues you have it front of you. The buck does in fact stop in the oval office.
Afterward, subsequent congressional investigations and hearings can determine where the lapses in government oversight occurred that were responsible for the chain of command having broken down.

This is how the system works and if you're not willing to keep you mouth shut, stop pointing the finger at someone else step up take responsible and fix the problem then do not seek high political office.

Someone needs a civics lesson.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
H.O.N.E.S.T.Y ?? My God, every time he opens his mouth he lies. I can't believe 30% of the population supports this :censored2:. Even foreign governments mock him, especially his buddy Putin.
TTKU ... latest poll was 60% of Americans support Trump's handling of the Coronavirus crisis.

I don't know if that poll takes people like you into account ... it did say Americans.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I like his honesty and transparency versus the sliminess and underhandedness of Obama and especially Clinton.

H.O.N.E.S.T.Y ?? My God, every time he opens his mouth he lies. I can't believe 30% of the population supports this :censored2:. Even foreign governments mock him, especially his buddy Putin.
I was comparing Trump's honesty compared to Obama's and Clinton's ...
he's still well above those two loathsome examples of the dregs of humanity.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
That's the problem with the LibTurds on here and most DemWits in America ...
they don't accept the Constitution and how it delineates a Federal form of governments in the United States of America.
They especially hate and loath the first ten amendments to the Constitution which differentiates the USA National Government from the European style of governing.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
He hates the United States of America ... I thought all the regulars in Current Events knew that.

I'm only semi-regular. More often than not the ludicrosity is too much for me.

3uf4ye.jpg

bacha29

Somebody needs a history lesson. Likewise, there's no greater example of selective leadership on the part of a president than what we see in the White House today. He's not interested in how many die. All he talks about is the economy protecting the banks and the damage COVID-19 is doing to it .

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Somebody needs a history lesson. Likewise, there's no greater example of selective leadership on the part of a president than what we see in the White House today. He's not interested in how many die. All he talks about is the economy protecting the banks and the damage COVID-19 is doing to it .

What would you like to teach me that will help me understand your point of view better? History is a big subject.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A lot of the posters on the BC that blithely accept Trump’s “strongman” persona have professed that they grew up in poverty.

Is there a connection?

Were you hoping for a “strongman” to show up after your daddy stepped out for some smokes to help stabilize your childhood?

I actually have some pretty interesting stats from my dissertation ifou are interested.

XOXO,

Meat

IMO, a lot of people who don't want to take responsibility and think for themselves are attracted to Strongman/Dictator Lite types. It's ironic, but a lot of Conservatives fall into this category. On one hand, they're all about self-responsibility and the Free Market until something happens that threatens the government program that feeds them. "I hate Big Government, but don't touch my assistance check or my Medicare".

The missing Dad/poverty factor(s) are also interesting. Maybe it is soothing or "safe" to have someone to tell you what to do and how to think if you grew up poor or without a father figure. Religion would seem to fill the same void, where a god or church authority figure makes it all OK. Prosperity Christianity (Trump, again), would seem to be a perfect fit for someone who both needs to be told what to do and that they'll be "rich" if they give Preacher X enough money.

A lack of education seems to be important as well. I know a lot of Trump/Church types that never made it beyond high school and lack developed critical thinking skills. They aren't stupid, just easily swayed and convinced by poor and/or phony "evidence". Science deniers, Trumpers, and evangelicals all fit the bill. Many of them substitute Biblical knowledge for formal education. They can't conceptualize the fact that they're being sold a fairy tale by the usual suspects, but they can quote the Bible verse by verse. Too bad they didn't show that same level of devotion to their secular education.

Let me know how you do on your dissertation.