Predicted Peak Volume

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It's the reason why whenever a new route was created and it was offered to me completely free of charge (and there quite a number of them) I passed it off to whatever prospective new contractor wanted it. I knew they wouldn't last long and that was the case with nearly all of them This way whatever he got out of it he could keep.

Today, after the company takes it's cut out of the box and the contractor takes his cut out of the box .....there's nothing left for the guy who is actually delivering the box. And you wonder why very few actually stay for any length of time and among the few who do even fewer actually give a rodent's expletive deleted about the job itself because there's plenty more like readily available and often under better terms.

Yet the trucks are full, the packages are getting delivered, and the volume keeps increasing. For a business that doesn't have enough cheap labor, someone is doing the work.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But they can have tattoos and drive with the bulkhead door open.....

My experience with former Ground guys who came to Express is that they prefer the relatively lax work atmosphere offered by Ground. So much so that they're willing to give up better pay and benefits to go back to it. "That's not how we did it at Ground" and "That didn't matter at Ground" is common.

My experience with former Ground guys who came to Express is that they prefer the relatively lax work atmosphere offered by Ground. So much so that they're willing to give up better pay and benefits to go back to it. "That's not how we did it at Ground" and "That didn't matter at Ground" is common.
Honestly you can't make a good living or a career out of working for ground.

Pension? 401k? Healthcare? Paid holidays, sick days and vacation time?

Maybe if you are a young guy trying to make a few bucks....

It will be fine

How much paid time off? What about COLA raises? Matching 401k?
And is it a living wage?

Not trying to be a peckerhead here, just asking
2 weeks earned to start, goes up to 3 after a few years of service. These have been the raises the last few years. It’s definitely a living wage, works out to $22-25/hr for most guys. Some guys are slower and that’ll bring them into the teens, but’s it’s not the workload, the work can be done in 7 hrs on the route.

2 weeks earned to start, goes up to 3 after a few years of service. These have been the raises the last few years. It’s definitely a living wage, works out to $22-25/hr for most guys. Some guys are slower and that’ll bring them into the teens, but’s it’s not the workload, the work can be done in 7 hrs on the route.
Thanks for the answer. There not what I hear from most. Of the ground guys

BoxDriver

I get paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation. No health or retirement. My raise last year was a higher percentage than what Express recently gave their drivers. Last time I did the math if I switched to Express at starting pay here I would need to average about 6 hours of overtime every week over a year just to break even compared to what I gross per year with my contractor.

It will be fine

Thanks for the answer. There not what I hear from most. Of the ground guys
There is a very wide variety of compensation for Ground drivers. Even in my building some have higher salaries but don’t offer paid time off or any benefits. There’s only so much money to go around, people use it differently. My wife gives me a hard time for not keeping enough of it.

There is a very wide variety of compensation for Ground drivers. Even in my building some have higher salaries but don’t offer paid time off or any benefits. There’s only so much money to go around, people use it differently. My wife gives me a hard time for not keeping enough of it.
The shipping business is only going to get bigger. Take care of the good guys

El Morado Diablo

+1000%.

We've had former Ground drivers in our station. None of them have stayed any length of time. Most of them thumbed their noses at Express policies and all the micro-managing we put up with. This doesn't mean they weren't hard workers. They just didn't like all the B.S. we deal with on a day-to-day basis.

We've also lost guys to Ground and USPS. They all say the same thing and are happier where they are.

bacha29

I offer everything on that list except a pension and those are exceedingly rare these days.
You included healthcare but what you didn't say was who would be paying the premiums. I saw an awful lot of contractors in their recruitment spill talk about offering healthcare but failed to mention that the premiums would simply be a payroll deduction and sometimes the largest of all payroll deductions.

bacha29

I get paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation. No health or retirement. My raise last year was a higher percentage than what Express recently gave their drivers. Last time I did the math if I switched to Express at starting pay here I would need to average about 6 hours of overtime every week over a year just to break even compared to what I gross per year with my contractor.
So in your case as it is with many other Ground crate draggers. it all comes down to how long you can withstand the physical beating and what will become of you when you can no longer do so.