Preload: getting moved to a harder pull PART 2

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Yeah a lot of smalls, that's kind of the problem. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of smalls and they seem to all come at once during last rev

get some totes and put them outside the package cars; when your bins come around, throw the smalls into the totes and just load them when you can

tell your supe you're just trying to protect the smalls with containerization lol

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Just don't get carried away, I thought I remember you saying you wanted to drive soon? Prob a good idea to just do your best, be safe, and bite your tongue. barring ssupervisor doing union work and compromising your and co-workers saftey.

Hows your transition to driving going?

I have to learn how to drive a stick first, I know... Its embarrassing I don't already know. I can't find anyone to let me practice on their vehicle I'm asking around my hub offering 100 bucks to help me out lol.

I might just end up renting a car. I mean I know how it works but I know I'm going to need practice before I take the test

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Good luck with that. I can't think of any agency that rents sticks. You're better off finding one on craigslist for $150. Should last just long enough for you to learn.

What about going to a dealership to test drive one? I test drove a car once and I didn't have a rep accompany me. My friend can drive it off the lot and go tons parking lot somewhere nearby and I can practice for a bit

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Yeah when I go in tomorrow I'm just going to continue to work as hard as I safely can and mention that article to my union steward and ask him what he can do. They can lock me in all they want and if the lock in dude tries to push me I'm just going to politely say I'm doing the best I safely can and I don't appreciate the harassment

km3

What about going to a dealership to test drive one? I test drove a car once and I didn't have a rep accompany me. My friend can drive it off the lot and go tons parking lot somewhere nearby and I can practice for a bit

That might work.

km3

Yeah when I go in tomorrow I'm just going to continue to work as hard as I safely can

They'll expect that kind of performance from you everyday. Slow it down tomorrow. Don't do anything differently than you normally do. If they correct you about something, do it their way.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
They'll expect that kind of performance from you everyday. Slow it down tomorrow. Don't do anything differently than you normally do. If they correct you about something, do it their way.

Yeah if there's anything I've learned is to always work as directed. Its like literally their only power. Do it their way or literally its the highway

Brisket

Be very careful with that, as if something happens while you are driving, it could be HIS butt in trouble if something happens to the car...( since the salesman will need to make a copy of your friend's id)

Last edited:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
boxlines and slides get 4-6 cars, but a belt is usually 3, fyi

OP if you want to have some fun with them when they go to "lock you in", ask them to include an MSD load worksheet of your belt, specifically looking at the utilization of your pull

bet my AMEX you're overutilized
I'm in a module, my my friend

MendozaJ

I have to learn how to drive a stick first, I know... Its embarrassing I don't already know. I can't find anyone to let me practice on their vehicle I'm asking around my hub offering 100 bucks to help me out lol.

I might just end up renting a car. I mean I know how it works but I know I'm going to need practice before I take the test

Sups here will let you take an empty around the building after dispatch. Just have to ask.

Savii

I recently have been moved to a 5 car pull with about 1200-1800 packages per day depending on volume, it's in a PCM trailer right off the split.. It's very frustrating at times, but just go at your own pace you feel is safe and have quality loads, use a marker. Ask for help if you get backed up from a Sup, if they don't send anyone file a grievance.

dudebro

get some totes and put them outside the package cars; when your bins come around, throw the smalls into the totes and just load them when you can

tell your supe you're just trying to protect the smalls with containerization lol

That's not going to work - there's no need to containerize in a package car unless it's a SurePost bag (or helper bags during peak with specific stops).

Other than that - 10 years ago most of my boxline MSDs came to around 230 an hour for a 3 car pull. Little has changed in that time that would materially affect a measurement.

Add a car and make it four, the MSD goes down because there's more walking distance, plus, the cage that normally enters the head of your work area is now at the second car, etc.

Anyway - 4 hours of that is 920 and 5 hours is 1150, and that's 100% effective. We look for 95% or so, so in the real world, drop maybe 45-55 pieces off of that for a typical day.

Your contract, of course, says you don't have to care about any of this. Just follow the methods, use a smooth steady pace you can maintain for the duration of the sort, and you'll find the numbers will end up around the ones above anyway without you worrying about them.