Preload Help (trainee)

MRBEDROK

Hey guys, so today i started preloading in the UPS trucks. It was my first time (sup just put me infront of the delivery truck and said good luck). I knew what i had to do but some of the packages were wobbly in the truck and the driver came through and he had to help me "lock them in" so they dont fall when he turns. I felt horrible like here's the new guy that preloads like ass. Anyways, i have a few questions i need answering for my second day of loading tomorrow. I have asked some questions to fellow employees but i have a few more. Bare with me guys...

1. After i clock in, do i just go to my truck? Are the preload ''papers'' there on the truck already or do i need to pick them up somewhere?
2. The conveyor belt has my packages, what if i miss my package? Does it come back around? I find it hard to load AND looking for my package on the belt...
3. How do you guys load envelopes and small stuff like that on the truck? Do you just put it where it is assigned or does it have a special spot?
4. How many trucks do you usually load? Lets say they give me 2 trucks in the start of the shift; do I have time to load it before the end of the shift or do i need to load it at a certain time?
5. What are the bins beside my truck, i know we talked about tote the smalls, but i dont think thats for my position is it? This question is similar to question 3 about what the heck do i do with envelopes and small stuff like that.

I was stressed the heck out today but im not quitting my job yet just because i had a bad first day. I did everything i had to correctly, the driver took off, but i need hekp with a few things so i dont need drivers helping me out....
Thanks you in advance for all that help me. Means a lot in this stressful world.

km3

1. After i clock in, do i just go to my truck?

Go to your truck at start time. Do not handle any other company equipment or paperwork before then, otherwise you're working for free.

Are the preload ''papers'' there on the truck already or do i need to pick them up somewhere?

Ask your supervisor.

2. The conveyor belt has my packages, what if i miss my package?

Don't worry about it. It will find its way back to you...eventually.

watdaflock?

1. After i clock in, do i just go to my truck? Are the preload ''papers'' there on the truck already or do i need to pick them up somewhere?
2. The conveyor belt has my packages, what if i miss my package? Does it come back around? I find it hard to load AND looking for my package on the belt...
3. How do you guys load envelopes and small stuff like that on the truck? Do you just put it where it is assigned or does it have a special spot?
4. How many trucks do you usually load? Lets say they give me 2 trucks in the start of the shift; do I have time to load it before the end of the shift or do i need to load it at a certain time?
5. What are the bins beside my truck, i know we talked about tote the smalls, but i dont think thats for my position is it? This question is similar to question 3 about what the heck do i do with envelopes and small stuff like that.

I was stressed the heck out today but im not quitting my job yet just because i had a bad first day. I did everything i had to correctly, the driver took off, but i need hekp with a few things so i dont need drivers helping me out....
Thanks you in advance for all that help me. Means a lot in this stressful world.
1. You should have whats known as a "PCM" and all the preloaders hang out in a designated area.
2. Get to know the person next to you down the belt. Be nice to them. If they are not too much of a jerk, they'll pull any missed packages or call them out to you.
3. Put it where it belongs, by PAL label. You'll get more boxes to fit it between or behind.
4. Yes. Just load it. Quit thinking so much. If you're too slow, somebody will let ya know.
5. On bulk stops that have a lot of small stuff, use the totes.

Good luck.

Box Ox

Spending 5 minutes asking a supervisor about all of the above will be a lot easier on you than collecting 50 different answers here. You need location-specific answers from one person who can tell it to you straight.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Spending 5 minutes asking a supervisor about all of the above will be a lot easier on you than collecting 50 different answers here. You need location-specific answers from one person who can tell it to you straight.

If I had this resource when I first started my pt sup would be irrelevant

MRBEDROK

Yeah, true. But i kinda wanna be ready for tomorrow right away. I get anxious for everything reeeeeally fast...

To the other replys. Thanks guys. More replys are welcome from others. :)

rod

Retired 22 years
Hey guys, so today i started preloading in the UPS trucks. It was my first time (sup just put me infront of the delivery truck and said good luck). I knew what i had to do but some of the packages were wobbly in the truck and the driver came through and he had to help me "lock them in" so they dont fall when he turns. I felt horrible like here's the new guy that preloads like ass. Anyways, i have a few questions i need answering for my second day of loading tomorrow. I have asked some questions to fellow employees but i have a few more. Bare with me guys...

Looks like the UPS school of training is a bust. Don't they work with these new guys at all? All these questions are just basic questions that should have been answered the 1st day. The sups seem to have all kinds of time to yell and handle packages. They should spend more time training the help.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Looks like the UPS school of training is a bust. Don't they work with these new guys at all? All these questions are just basic questions that should have been answered the 1st day. The sups seem to have all kinds of time to yell and handle packages. They should spend more time training the help.
Blind leading the blind. What they need is to have new hires work with senior loaders for a week. Then quit playing musical loaders, let them learn a set.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
One package at a time brother. Walk in and slide the package like a book in a bookshelf. The floor and back walls exist for non-books. Write the first two numbers, or all 4. Use your whole arm to slide the bookshelf around and keep fitting packages until the whole shelf is full with nothing stacked on top yet. then just throw things in lol.

Keep it simple or else your brain will fry like stage 20 of tetris

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Blind leading the blind. What they need is to have new hires work with senior loaders for a week. Then quit playing musical loaders, let them learn a set.
Lol they don't even put new hires on my line anymore. I am wedged between the most senior preloaders in the center.

MRBEDROK

You guys all helped out a lot. Thanks.

Bro we did a week of training in 2 days just ran through everything it was pointless...

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
The best thing you can do is ask the driver what he or she likes. I would talk to the driver to get insight to what bulk stops they do first thing in the morning. Personally for me, I like all smalls that are bulk stops put in a tot. Make sure to use all of the floor underneath the self to put oversized packages in order from 1000 to the front to 5000 or 6000 in the back of the floor. Put packages as close to pal order as you can. If you have to change things around tell the driver before he or she leaves for the day.

km3

Don't they work with these new guys at all?

No. I was only hired 3 1/2 years ago, and back then I got a whole week of Cornerstone and then a training supervisor shadowed me for a week watching my every move.

Based on what some of the new hires have told me, we're lucky they even get one day anymore. Training supervisors serve no real purpose other than to track down new hires and ask them what their favorite movie or food is.

Elmo.goes.to.prom

Put post it notes on your shelves of the shelf number. It will make you find the shelf faster.

My drivers taught me more about loading than my sups did. Talk to your drivers.

Dr.Brownz

images