542thruNthru

Well you’ve come to the best possible place the universe. Here’s mine:

This is UPS’ definition of part time.

Make the sups get them for you. Make them get you water, tape, a new battery when your scanner disconnects, etc. Anything you need to do your job safely.

File a grievance and make money when they do this. Article 3 section 7.

Work as directed. As long as it’s not something unsafe, take em to the bank.

Definitely don’t do that.

Happens all the time. Just lol and keep doing your job.

It’s the employer’s responsibility to maintain egress. Cut the belt until it’s clear and watch the steam come out their ears.
Well said.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
So I’m looking for advice, iv been a part time preloader for 6 months started just before peek season mid October and I’m liking my coworkers we get along but today was a great example of how blind management is. As an 18year old I’ll freely admit I’m not the most stable person emotionally but iv shown up to work on time everyday except for a few days during peek pulling 8-9 hour shifts for 6 days a week iv never challenged my supervisor or management, well that changed today Saturday are a mixed bag usually on different area but what ever well I’m like the only person to never get loading platforms behind the trucks despite being on the heaviest belt in the building. So it’s about 10-20 minutes till drivers leave and I’m having a hard time getting everything loaded big boxes no platforms after a 9 piece shipment of 6ft 70+ Pound steel beams comes down into my loading area that I have to load pitching my fingers and hands multiple times I start to have a full blown mental brake down, (because I literally have to deal with stuff like this every single day endless numbers of packages all for one truck coming down all the same time with nowhere to put them)my belt sup is loading one my trucking getting thing fixed, and a female driver supervisor is on the belt trying to get people to finish up well she decides to tell me a openly crying “young man” (that’s been doing this job six months with no room to work everyday ) that it’s my job to stop loading my trucks and pass a 25 pound plastic tube up 4 cars. As I’m running to to the end of the belt to grab a 6x4x1ft box that came down the wrong side of the belt I tell her it’s not my gosh darn job to fix other peoples problems, she a driver supervisor proceeds to threaten my employment. For I quote ”cussing her out”. This is a person who has caught manipulating paystub’s for part-time employees when she was a part-time supervisor. Am I done here and just move on? Or should I bring this to my union steward, I honestly feel like it’s disingenuous to make me go through 15 15minute sessions across 15 Wednesdays to tell me how to do my job safer well I’m tripping over boxes every day
Dude just wait when you go driving. Last night my board died on me doing a route and area I’ve never even seen before. And I finished the route at 10 p.m. with no board.

Nah
Well you’ve come to the best possible place the universe. Here’s mine:

This is UPS’ definition of part time.

Make the sups get them for you. Make them get you water, tape, a new battery when your scanner disconnects, etc. Anything you need to do your job safely.

File a grievance and make money when they do this. Article 3 section 7.

Work as directed. As long as it’s not something unsafe, take em to the bank.

Definitely don’t do that.

Happens all the time. Just lol and keep doing your job.

It’s the employer’s responsibility to maintain egress. Cut the belt until it’s clear and watch the steam come out their ears.
Don't forget: ask for help for every over 70. No reason to be pinching fingers on steel beams...

PTSandwichMaker

So I’m looking for advice, iv been a part time preloader for 6 months started just before peek season mid October and I’m liking my coworkers we get along but today was a great example of how blind management is. As an 18year old I’ll freely admit I’m not the most stable person emotionally but iv shown up to work on time everyday except for a few days during peek pulling 8-9 hour shifts for 6 days a week iv never challenged my supervisor or management, well that changed today Saturday are a mixed bag usually on different area but what ever well I’m like the only person to never get loading platforms behind the trucks despite being on the heaviest belt in the building. So it’s about 10-20 minutes till drivers leave and I’m having a hard time getting everything loaded big boxes no platforms after a 9 piece shipment of 6ft 70+ Pound steel beams comes down into my loading area that I have to load pitching my fingers and hands multiple times I start to have a full blown mental brake down, (because I literally have to deal with stuff like this every single day endless numbers of packages all for one truck coming down all the same time with nowhere to put them)my belt sup is loading one my trucking getting thing fixed, and a female driver supervisor is on the belt trying to get people to finish up well she decides to tell me a openly crying “young man” (that’s been doing this job six months with no room to work everyday ) that it’s my job to stop loading my trucks and pass a 25 pound plastic tube up 4 cars. As I’m running to to the end of the belt to grab a 6x4x1ft box that came down the wrong side of the belt I tell her it’s not my gosh darn job to fix other peoples problems, she a driver supervisor proceeds to threaten my employment. For I quote ”cussing her out”. This is a person who has caught manipulating paystub’s for part-time employees when she was a part-time supervisor. Am I done here and just move on? Or should I bring this to my union steward, I honestly feel like it’s disingenuous to make me go through 15 15minute sessions across 15 Wednesdays to tell me how to do my job safer well I’m tripping over boxes every day
1. Don’t feel bad for crying but don’t share that on brown cafe anymore lol.
2. Bring to your steward. She threatened your employment. She made you feel intimidated and harassed. She created a hostile situation. You were crying bro.
3. Do you never shut the belt off? You can shut it off. When you have bulk, oversized, too much coming down, nowhere to put it. When you have a bunch of :censored2: and a bunch of someone else’s :censored2: comes down into your pull. Shut it off preemptively before it gets bad and becomes a problem, before you get overwhelmed. Take care of the package(s), turn it back on. Work safely. Do you know how to shut it off and back on?
4. They must maintain egress so again stop the belt, and demand help or time to clear it.
5. They must provide adequate supplies and equipment to do the job.
6. You don’t have to take that :censored2: from them you are seniority don’t take it. Read article 37 section 1 of the contract. Take notes daily especially on interactions with management.

KAP_UPS

1. Don’t feel bad for crying but don’t share that on brown cafe anymore lol.
2. Bring to your steward. She threatened your employment. She made you feel intimidated and harassed. She created a hostile situation. You were crying bro.
3. Do you never shut the belt off? You can shut it off. When you have bulk, oversized, too much coming down, nowhere to put it. When you have a bunch of :censored2: and a bunch of someone else’s :censored2: comes down into your pull. Shut it off preemptively before it gets bad and becomes a problem, before you get overwhelmed. Take care of the package(s), turn it back on. Work safely. Do you know how to shut it off and back on?
4. They must maintain egress so again stop the belt, and demand help or time to clear it.
5. They must provide adequate supplies and equipment to do the job.
6. You don’t have to take that :censored2: from them you are seniority don’t take it. Read article 37 section 1 of the contract. Take notes daily especially on interactions with management.
Wait.. THEY must maintain egress?! They can't progress packages.. how can it be their responsibility? I mean, holy :censored2: would it be nice to be able to look at them after loading 6 trucks alone, because everybody else can take our people but we never get to call on others to help throwing bulk yourself, including a 70 pc addcut up 6 steps, while your slide shoots out 20 to 40 boxes fast af followed by maybe 10 heavy af bags, well over 75lbs each, violently shoving off each box, practically burying you alive in a wally, and be like "eh, what tf is up with YOUR egress muttaf*cka?" "Clean that :censored2: so I have a way to, through and away from danger" (or is it out, over and around? above, away and between?) Well you get my point.

PTSandwichMaker

Wait.. THEY must maintain egress?! They can't progress packages.. how can it be their responsibility? I mean, holy :censored2: would it be nice to be able to look at them after loading 6 trucks alone, because everybody else can take our people but we never get to call on others to help throwing bulk yourself, including a 70 pc addcut up 6 steps, while your slide shoots out 20 to 40 boxes fast af followed by maybe 10 heavy af bags, well over 75lbs each, violently shoving off each box, practically burying you alive in a wally, and be like "eh, what tf is up with YOUR egress muttaf*cka?" "Clean that :censored2: so I have a way to, through and away from danger" (or is it out, over and around? above, away and between?) Well you get my point.
Lol I got so sick of that... I now always ask for help & notify of egress issues, failure to contain in advance of it becoming a huge issue. They don’t do anything most of the time, nor care, but hey I told them so I’m good and then I don’t get :censored2: for it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

No, I don’t get your rambling nonsense point
If they want egress give them egress if not much gets loaded so be it

Brownt10

Don’t get mad always say I’m doing the best I can. Turn the belt off anytime you have over 70s and get help. Turn the belt off if you need to take pkgs up the belt if they are on the wrong side to get them were they need to be. If you get yelled at tell them you are doing the best you can. Don’t get mad.
How do u handle overweights not marked with overweight tape?

trotsky

You sound like a good employee, understand that your sups get more :censored2: than you ever will, so take a breath and do your best and thank god you arent them. Then when they get on your ass tell them you are doing your best, they Litterally cant do :censored2: to you. As far as egress, stop the belt and clean up.

Brownt10

You sound like a good employee, understand that your sups get more :censored2: than you ever will, so take a breath and do your best and thank god you arent them. Then when they get on your ass tell them you are doing your best, they Litterally cant do :censored2: to you. As far as egress, stop the belt and clean up.
Thank you. I’m an employee whose learned a lot & made many mistakes but have learned from this. We all need to stick together. Trust me I don’t want my day to drag on any longer & want to get home to see my family but I’m not going to hurt myself or let someone else work unsafe for management’s numbers.

I’ve got an uphill battle ahead of me between management & even fellow union members unfortunately

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Thank you. I’m an employee whose learned a lot & made many mistakes but have learned from this. We all need to stick together. Trust me I don’t want my day to drag on any longer & want to get home to see my family but I’m not going to hurt myself or let someone else work unsafe for management’s numbers.

I’ve got an uphill battle ahead of me between management & even fellow union members unfortunately
back on the preload there was this real heavyset kid one peak season who would always carry irregs and over 70s on his shoulder. One day I asked him if he was doing alright carrying pieces like that, he immediately spun around to face me and the irreg caught and derailed the boxline behind him.

What a lot of these preload kids don't understand is that it is a lot like one of those stacking arcade games, or like a jenga tower. If you get sloppy and blow out one shelf, the next set of packages take exponentially longer to load. Skipping 10 ft of belt to square away an irreg or pack a bulk stop into the corner of a shelf early in the day will save you more than enough headaches later in the day. And, of course, I would not try to pick up the pace just because I was behind.

AccidentProne

You know they can't fire you for performance right? As long as you're doing your job safely.
As an 18year old I’ll freely admit I’m not the most stable person emotionally
Yeah, you're young, naive, and inexperienced. You care too much and insecure. Relax and follow what your other co-workers do.
So it’s about 10-20 minutes till drivers leave
That's the drivers problem. He can and should be helping you load bulk onto his truck. If it doesn't get loaded on time, he can't leave, so that puts pressure on him to help you. If he doesn't, his problem.
9 piece shipment of 6ft 70+ Pound steel beams comes down into my loading area that I have to load pitching my fingers and hands multiple times
Ask for help. You have the right to ask for help to lift anything over 70+ pounds. If you can't lift it without hurting yourself, stop the belt, and ask for help.
I start to have a full blown mental brake down
Get therapy kid. You're lifting boxes, not performing medicine, nothing to stress out about to have a mental break down.
it’s not my gosh darn job to fix other peoples problems,
Correct. So don't. Don't yell at the manager, just say ok, and move on.
Or should I bring this to my union steward
Yes.

Last edited: