Preload: Posted Weekly Schedule Start Times Versus Actual Paid Time

Shepherd Sook

Hello, I'm a new hire working as a preloader.

Today, the week's printed, posted schedule says start time was 2:30 a.m. This morning I punched in at 2:28. I noticed when I punched out this morning that my "scheduled shift" began at 2:50, despite the fact that I get right to work as soon as I'm there. Seems like UPS is getting a third of an hour of free labor. Or does this unpaid 20 minutes offset the break I get later in the shift? I've heard others say "Keep track of your hours, they'll short you otherwise!" and a lot of people snap pics of the terminal as they punch in and later punch out. I'd like to be kept on after peak, whenever that ends, so I'm unsure whether it's considered rocking the boat by mentioning it to my supervisor. Any information or guidance on this would be appreciated.

barnyard

KTM rider
You need to talk to your supe. If the time is not reverted to the posted start time, find a union steward and file a grievance. No UPSer should work for free.

BeachBoy

He is not in the Union. Track hours, and do the math. Tell them what hours were shorted and provide documentation. Last week, $300+dollars. Mine. With that, I'm hitting over $2000.oo this year that they would have sorted me on, and made them make me right. That's 6% of my yearly. Nope.

Shepherd Sook

"Also make sure you're not looking at times in hundredths. Because 2:30 is 2.50 (not 2:50)."

Good advice. I'm pretty sure it read "2:50" and not "2.50" but I'm not 100% confident about this and am going to start snapping pics of the terminal like so many others do.

"Don't worry about it, you are going to end up being fired here in a week or two anyways."

Ha! You're probably right. I do feel like there was a bit of a bait-and-switch, sold-a-bill-of-goods kind of thing with what we were told during training vs. reality. Trainer told the class, "Congratulations. You're not seasonal. You're all permanent workers." Shop steward later told us we all have jobs as long as we want them, and wouldn't get fired except due to a few egregious screw-ups on our part which he specified. But my guess is that they expect a large number of seasonal hires to quit anyway, so those who remain may be offered some sort of continued, very limited employment vastly different than the way things have been this past month and a half, with even fewer hours. It's a little disappointing if that's the case. But I realize seniority is everything and if there's not enough work, they can't keep all of us new hires on. We'll see what happens.

For some reason UPS doesn’t use a 60 min hour they use hundredth of an hour. So .25 would be 15 mins .50 = 30 mins .75= 45 mins etc. if you’re lunch in time was 2:28 and schedule start time was 2:30 you’ll start getting paid at 2.50 hour.

If you ever want to know what time you were laid for you divide the minute number by 1.66666667 that will give you the actual minute.

For example if your clock out time says 8.87am you would divide 87 by 1.6666667 = 52. Clock out time was 8:52am

Yolo

For you guys that don't understand decimals. This is made for literal children btw. Y'all are :censored2:ing dumb

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Hello, I'm a new hire working as a preloader.

Today, the week's printed, posted schedule says start time was 2:30 a.m. This morning I punched in at 2:28. I noticed when I punched out this morning that my "scheduled shift" began at 2:50, despite the fact that I get right to work as soon as I'm there. Seems like UPS is getting a third of an hour of free labor. Or does this unpaid 20 minutes offset the break I get later in the shift? I've heard others say "Keep track of your hours, they'll short you otherwise!" and a lot of people snap pics of the terminal as they punch in and later punch out. I'd like to be kept on after peak, whenever that ends, so I'm unsure whether it's considered rocking the boat by mentioning it to my supervisor. Any information or guidance on this would be appreciated.
Go take a 20 minute 💩.. on the clock, problem solved