preloaders - whats your avg. PPH

W

westsideworma

When I was a loader (last year) I averaged around 230-250 (depended on how timely the loads were) before PAS with no misloads while I was a loader, one day I hit 289. My load rate was probably higher than what I was pegged at on paper because I was often helping others on my line, thats just what it averaged out to given hours worked. After PAS my rate went down a bit due to double checking labels, peeling PALs, etc. to avoid misloads. Yet I had more work to do and less time than I had previously. I also stepped it down a little because I knew I was ahead of the curve as it was, I didn't want misload issues like some other people did and was sick of being used to shore up other areas of the building as soon as I had an empty cage. I never minded helping others on my line or on the other side of the boxline (and did so daily), but being sent to the opposite end of the building while my pick took on water was a bit much and made it very difficult to wrap on time. Before PAS this rarely happened, after we were shuffled all over the place.

At the same time and no offense as this clearly doesn't apply to you, a lot of people in my generation and the ones younger than me don't seem to have the work ethic that was instilled in me that is needed to get the higher pph numbers. When I got here it was never confirmed but I knew it was a possibility (at the time) that I was a seasonal hire so I busted my butt and never complained. I wanted them to see that I was a hard worker. I never set out to get the numbers, I just worked at the pace I was familiar with and it happened to be very fast as UPS standards went at the time (they change daily).

Also it seems UPS is no longer playing by their own numbers. Recently I've noticed that a few of my pickoffs have planned days of over 5 hrs (some approaching 6) but we give them 4.5 max (sometimes less). This appears wrong to me for 1 big reason. Credibility. How can I expect someone to do something that I know has little chance of being done? Loading 1200 pieces (and its lopsided, a great deal of the work comes after break just before the primary goes down) in 4-4.5 hours isn't a realistic goal. Especially when giving that person 5.5 hours would still put them ahead of the numbers we are given to meet. Problem is this wouldn't help him either. As I said, the loads are often late and this is a lopsided pickoff (contrary to my manager's opinion, I've loaded this pickoff so I can indeed attest to it being true and not just an excuse as he believes) so he'd still have issues wrapping no matter what. Makes it frustrating and he's indeed been considering walking out many times. He works hard, he's not a slacker, he follows the methods, but its just not enough.

Service Failure

My pph varies from 80 pph to 170 pph haha. Sometimes i get 1 truck, sometimes i get 2. We are belt-to-car and i'm the splitter. This is for a 4-4.5 hour period and it gets high sometimes because my first truck has william-sonoma on the route but it's delivered early in another truck. If my second car isn't william-sonoma, it's a heavy hotel/resi route. My goal as told by management is 98 pph. Yeah, i know i have it good.

R

Ronnie88

I work in a slide - to - car I think the only reason my pph is so high is bcuz i was alwayz left in back of the penn and my sup. never checked on me but no worries he was arrested for identity fraud :P

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
around 450. cerritos building was the most efficient building at the time and newest I was preload between 1992 1999 im not sure if it still is .

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
I usually average between 180-210. I am on a belt to car. My one truck is an outlet mall route. It get about 300 pcs a day. I wrap in about 4.5-5 everyday. There is no way we would get done in under 4.5, i have to much bulk to deal with.

Homoudont

I was around 240 for peak season.. one of my stops was a mall car that got a lot of bulk. Because of volume drop off I was around 200 after peak season but helped others with their load and belt splits. I had a belt to car load with no PAS. There is a loader on our belt that does around 250 every day.

W

westsideworma

You should tell us what type of facility your working in. Belt to car, slide to car or boxline.

Boxline to car for most of us. We do have a few belt/roller to car areas, but predominantly a boxline to car building.

All boxline to car areas have planned PPHs of over 200 an hour. My area for example has a plan of 225. Its insanely hard to meet that given the time the loads that affect this line arrive as well as the total lack of manageable flow. Comes in waves, no constant flow. Meaning we get a ton, then its calm for a while then just after break we get slammed again. Having worked on that line myself for 2.5 years I know it happens, every supe that has had this line knows it happens, but when we explain that, no one listens and swears we're making it up. I don't get it lol.

W

westsideworma

Average of 225 everyday and management continues to push more stating they are too slow!

preaching to the choir, while I can load at that, I know not everyone can. However don't try to convince this management team of that. We determine what is your best, not you (sarcasm). Funny thing is when they do go above the level they can effectively load, the misloads go up...and then they get spoken to about that and they slow back down...its a vicious cycle.

I could load at about 200-210 an hour pulling every PAL with no misloads and great load quality. However that would not be enough and I'd be lectured about my load rate and how its important to [-]wallstreet[/-] the company. I would have no problem with making people load at ridiculous speeds if the people spouting this to me (managers) could do it everyday with no misloads and pulling all the PALs, no stacking, etc. I know I can't...so I'm willing to bet none of them can either (I'd be willing to wager everything I own actually).

PAUPSER

preaching to the choir, while I can load at that, I know not everyone can. However don't try to convince this management team of that. We determine what is your best, not you (sarcasm). Funny thing is when they do go above the level they can effectively load, the misloads go up...and then they get spoken to about that and they slow back down...its a vicious cycle.

I could load at about 200-210 an hour pulling every PAL with no misloads and great load quality. However that would not be enough and I'd be lectured about my load rate and how its important to [-]wallstreet[/-] the company. I would have no problem with making people load at ridiculous speeds if the people spouting this to me (managers) could do it everyday with no misloads and pulling all the PALs, no stacking, etc. I know I can't...so I'm willing to bet none of them can either (I'd be willing to wager everything I own actually).

Very True! either way you look at it your being lectured by upper management, which at times seem to live in fantasy land. At our center we have a center manager that doesn’t understand the PAS label, even though we had this system for over four years now. Of course this is the same guy that yells at the poor preload supervisors, telling him how he needs to mange his preload crew more effectively by loading more pieces per hour, less misloads and no stacking out.

konsole

Today I loaded 900 in about 3.6 hrs, 200 of which is a smaller truck and 700 of which is between two 24 foot mall vans. so 250 PPH on a belt-to-truck. Most I ever do this time of year is about 275 PPH and the least is about 200 PPH. Sadly peak time is easier for me being somewhere around 200 PPH since we start so much earlier and my work load doesnt increase as much to compensate. Between August and October is the hardest time of the year for me because were still starting really late but the volume for the malls is getting bad.