Prescription drugs not covered now (Local 25)?

konsole

First I have to admit I pay little to no attention to my union benefits. Thats mainly because I choose to rarely ever use them, probably about once every couple years. It appears as though Teamsterscare switched from Tufts to Blue Cross Blue Shield starting this year. In Massachusetts we are required to have health insurance and until now i never had any doubts about my Teamsterscare coverage being all that was required. However I received a notice in the mail from Blue Cross/Shield that my plan doesnt meet the Massachusetts "minimum creditable coverage", and it lists the reason as "no prescription drug coverage".

Is this true?

What about this Medco (that I know nothing about and have never used)? Isnt that prescription drug coverage or does Massachusetts not recognize it as such?

If Massachusetts requires prescription drug coverage and Teamsterscare no longer provides it, then whats a typical cost of getting this coverage?

What about proving I have adequate prescription drug coverage at tax time?

804brown

First I have to admit I pay little to no attention to my union benefits. Thats mainly because I choose to rarely ever use them, probably about once every couple years. It appears as though Teamsterscare switched from Tufts to Blue Cross Blue Shield starting this year. In Massachusetts we are required to have health insurance and until now i never had any doubts about my Teamsterscare coverage being all that was required. However I received a notice in the mail from Blue Cross/Shield that my plan doesnt meet the Massachusetts "minimum creditable coverage", and it lists the reason as "no prescription drug coverage".

Is this true?

What about this Medco (that I know nothing about and have never used)? Isnt that prescription drug coverage or does Massachusetts not recognize it as such?

If Massachusetts requires prescription drug coverage and Teamsterscare no longer provides it, then whats a typical cost of getting this coverage?

What about proving I have adequate prescription drug coverage at tax time?

I would think that if the state "mandates" that all insurance plans HAVE to provide prescription drug coverage than they HAVE TO provide it or that plan can be de certified.

over9five

Staff member
The letter I got said the plan itself does not meet the minimum requirements BUT the additional coverage provided by the employer brings it up to minimum. Reread it and see if yours goes on to say this.

You can still get your drugs at the TeamsterCare pharmacy, BUT if you want them delivered you must use Medco. We all got a Medco packet some time ago. Call the Local if you need another. I use Medco, it's easy once it's set up. You can do it all online.

UPSGUY72

I work in Ma and have no issues with my Health insurance from the Union. I have Anthem BC/BS and Teamsters RX Medco .

TheKid

I live in Mass. and have BC/BS with Medco and have no issues. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you really do not pay attention. Did you do what you had to do when you received the Medco packet ?

Kis124

here in MD we have aetna for medical/dental..medco RX and VSP for vision. never really had a problem with any of them

konsole

I live in Mass. and have BC/BS with Medco and have no issues. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you really do not pay attention. Did you do what you had to do when you received the Medco packet ?

I didnt realize there was something I needed to do?

I have the Medco paperwork in front of me, I even have the 2 Prescription Drug ID Cards that were included in the material, but I didnt notice anything relating to further action needed to get the prescription drug coverage.

Could this just be a simple case of BC/BS not being aware that I have coverage under Medco?

menotyou

bella amicizia

I have the Medco paperwork in front of me, I even have the 2 Prescription Drug ID Cards that were included in the material, but I didnt notice anything relating to further action needed to get the prescription drug coverage.

Could this just be a simple case of BC/BS not being aware that I have coverage under Medco?
You should call the benefit office after 8:30 and speak with someone about what they might be able to do to help you. Some there should be able to straighten it out for you, or at least head you in the right direction.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should call the benefit office after 8:30 and speak with someone about what they might be able to do to help you. Some there should be able to straighten it out for you, or at least head you in the right direction.

Before he does this he should take the time to read the packet of material---everything he needs to know will be in there. All he does to do is present his Medco card whenever he gets a script filled. If he has meds that he is taking on a regular basis he should sign up for the mail order program through Medco.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Medco is great down here. 90 day supply no copay nothing out of pocket .Your doctor can e-mail or fax your prescriptions and re-certs . You can view your account with Medco online .A super benefit. Not to mention yours truley would not be able to unload the next day medco trailer every night (loaded a--hole to shoe sole) and throw about 50+ forever bags full with prescriptions plus all the boxes on the top belt without his daily Celebrex LOL.

over9five

Staff member

Konsole,

Did you read the whole letter you brought up in your first post? It starts out saying the plan does not meet minimum standards, but goes on to say your employer brings it up to the minimum.
In Local 25, we still have the TeamsterCare pharmacy. You only have to do the Medco if you want your meds delivered. It has nothing to do with the problem you're having.
Look at the BACK of the letter. There is a little box under your name that says "Full-year minimum creditable coverage?" and then a "yes" and "no" box. Did they check the "yes" box?
The yes box should be checked if you've been with Blue Cross all year.

konsole

note.jpg

I dont have the same letter your talking about, the above letter is what I have. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that BC/BS with Teamsterscare is just notifying me that my requirement for prescription drug coverage is not through BC/BS, but supposedly like you guys said I do meet the requirement due to prescription drug coverage provided directly by Teamsterscare? Seems a little odd that BC/BS wouldnt be aware of this since BC/BS and Teamsterscare are working together on our health benefits.

over9five

Staff member
Ahh, I see.

OK, You should also get a 1099-HC from BCBS. That's the one I have, and will verify that you have full coverage.

You should have gotten it already, it comes every year. Mine says "for more info go to www.bluecrossma.com/1099hc or call the number on your membership card". Call them and tell them you never got it, or maybe you can get it from the website.

Let me know if you need more info from the 1099 letter.

konsole

The 1099-HC form that people are getting around now is for the 2011 year, and I already used that to file my 2011 tax return. The letter from BC/BS that I posted above is referring to the 2012 year, basically them saying I no longer have prescription drug coverage from them starting January 1, 2012.

BC/BS must have sent this letter out to everyone that was using Tufts before Teamsterscare switched people in Local 25 over to BC/BS. This may be something as simple as BC/BS just iisnt aware that I have drug coverage directly from Teamsterscare, or it could be something more important like the drug coverage that Teamsterscare is providing isnt enough to meet Massachusetts required minumum. Ha, all this and the last time I had a medication was probably 15 years ago.

over9five

Staff member
The 1099-HC form that people are getting around now is for the 2011 year, and I already used that to file my 2011 tax return. The letter from BC/BS that I posted above is referring to the 2012 year, basically them saying I no longer have prescription drug coverage from them starting January 1, 2012.

BC/BS must have sent this letter out to everyone that was using Tufts before Teamsterscare switched people in Local 25 over to BC/BS. This may be something as simple as BC/BS just iisnt aware that I have drug coverage directly from Teamsterscare, or it could be something more important like the drug coverage that Teamsterscare is providing isnt enough to meet Massachusetts required minumum. Ha, all this and the last time I had a medication was probably 15 years ago.

Lol! I don't think you should even worry about it. I would imagine you'll get the correct 1099 next year. But if you do check into it further and find some kind of problem, let us know.

Sorry, all this time I thought you were talking about 2011s 1099.

UPSGUY72

If your still worried about it call the number on the back of your card. It should have a number for your Local funds office. They will be able to help you better then we can.

konsole

I would imagine you'll get the correct 1099 next year

You have to remember...

up through 2011 - Tufts Health Plan
2012 to ? - BC/BS

Just forget about the 1099-HC because the one people are getting right now is for last year but the letter is referring to this year.

So theres nothing wrong with the 1099-HC that I currently have, it just refers to 2011 when we had Tufts Health Plan. Yes 1099-HC for tax year 2011 does say its "full year miminum creditable coverage", but now in 2012 we have BC/BS and people wont get their 2012 1099-HC until next tax season. I never got the letter above from Tufts, and my guess is I probably got it now from BC/BS because they are not aware that I do have drug coverage through Teamsterscare directly, or maybe they sent the letter out prematurely before Teamsterscare made BC/BS aware of my coverage.

Last edited:

konsole

I called Medco and they verified my medication coverage with them, then I called BC/BS and they verified my coverage for everything else with them.

So obviously it seems like I have the states minimum requrement, but when I file taxes in 2013 for the 2012 year should I be expecting a 1099-HC from both BC/BS and Medco?

How does the state know I have my minimum coverage split between these 2 providers?

I know these may sound like amateur questions but I have very little experience with my health care benefits, and with the health care industry as a whole, and I don't think I've ever had coverage from 2 different providers.

UPSGUY72

konsole:940186 said:
I called Medco and they verified my medication coverage with them, then I called BC/BS and they verified my coverage for everything else with them.

So obviously it seems like I have the states minimum requrement, but when I file taxes in 2013 for the 2012 year should I be expecting a 1099-HC from both BC/BS and Medco?

How does the state know I have my minimum coverage split between these 2 providers?

I know these may sound like amateur questions but I have very little experience with my health care benefits, and with the health care industry as a whole, and I don't think I've ever had coverage from 2 different providers.

You will only get one 1099-HC and it will be from BC/BC.

Medco is for prescriptions that you would take all the time (ie. Birthcontrol, high blood pressure, etc). Even those can be getting at your local pharmacy the first time until you order them through the the mail with medco.